Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
mmurry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
dont worry... now maybe it is a 401 lb bike...
mmurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
links?

also: does that seat like, catch water? Looks like it would just sit in there like a bowl?

has anyone tried the gel seats from ktm?

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 07:08 AM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,338
Looks GREAT for the hemorrhoids

RIDE ON!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
ckracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
i was looking into that seat as well....came across one on this site.....interesting project these guys are doing...

http://www.cannonballproject.com/con...13Dakar990.jpg

the seat for the 990 adventure in the article looks slightly different than the one for the 950 se

i have emailed saddlemans for some pics but they have been terribly slow in getting back to me...first reply took 2 weeks...and im almost 2 weeks waiting again since i asked for pics.....although they said they had been having email redirecting problems?

i think i like the look of the 950 se seat better.....anyone know if they might be interchangeable between the bikes?....
ckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLebowski View Post
I just ordered one for my 990 Adventure from Amazon for $322.56 shipped. I'll write up a review in a week or so once I have it.

In yet?? Inquiring minds eagerly awaiting...
Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Anyone order the low profile one? Wondering how much lower it is and whether it's still comfortable with less padding.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

I ordered one for my 950SE, came in monday One problem, a harley seat was in the box. The paper work was correct but what was shipped was not. Have called for 3 straight days, left a messege with the service & the answering machine, ZERO response back so far. Purchased mine through amazon, its not directly from saddleman. The waiting game continues

RIDE ON!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckracer View Post
i was looking into that seat as well....came across one on this site.....interesting project these guys are doing...

the seat for the 990 adventure in the article looks slightly different than the one for the 950 se

i have emailed saddlemans for some pics but they have been terribly slow in getting back to me...first reply took 2 weeks...and im almost 2 weeks waiting again since i asked for pics.....although they said they had been having email redirecting problems?

i think i like the look of the 950 se seat better.....anyone know if they might be interchangeable between the bikes?....
Once i get the correct one i'll let you know, bought one for my 950SE & will sea if it fits my 950ADV

RIDE ON!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Got my seat

Here's my review of the Saddleman Adventure track seat for the 990 Adventure (this being an SE thread be damned).

Looks - Before I ordered it I found just ONE picture on the web of this seat on a Adventure (The SE seat is everywhere). It's a little different, it has a (imitation) leather wrap where you tank bag goes and suede for you butt. The pillion part is girpper seat material (think gripper dirt bike seat). Also there are flaps under the pillion seat that when pulled back expose two D rings on each side. I think it looks good. But I think the SE seat looks better. (If someone will host I can take some pictures)

Quality - The seat fits better than the stock one. They used rivets instead of staples to hold down the fabric. Mounting tabs are metal. Quality (single) stitching. I think it's very well made especially considering it's price. (at least what I paid for it)

General - I really like the gripper material for the passenger. I don't ride with a passenger much, but I do put a bag there. Seems like a good idea to help prevent things sliding around. I'm still on the fence about the suede material. I suppose time will tell if it's a good idea on a bike that will get (really) dirty. The D rings I don't suspect will get used, the Gobi racks offer to many lashing points that are stronger.

Update - I really do not like the suede. It just does not want to dry in a reasonable amount of time, so if you jump on your bike after leaving it in the rain or washing it, your gonna look like you wet yourself. It really seems obvious not use suede on a seat designed for a bike like this imo. The valley does not hold water btw.

Comfort - I'm a little biased here. In February I had a urethroplasty (google it if your curious) and a seat with the middle cut out is the cats meow for someone healing up after that. That being said, I thought the KTM ergo seat my bike came with was good enough that I never felt the need to upgrade before the surgery. I have about 50 miles on the Saddleman so far and think it's pretty comfortable, maybe a 40% improvement over the Ergo seat (50% over stock). Which is pretty good considering I thought the stocker was fine to begin with. I'll update this after a trip later this year.

Update - After having some more time on the seat, I can say it's not much better at all over stock for the long haul. I've only done 150 miles in one sitting with it so far, and on that ride I started to get the fidgets (moving around trying to find a more comfortable position) That being said, I am going to continue running the seat and test further. The rest of the review stands.

Update (near end of 2013) - I've now had this seat on for thousands of miles and it's a great saddle. I won't be changing it even if it's no longer medically necessary.

I can't flat foot as well with the Saddleman as I could with the Ergo, but I still can. If your vertically challenged you might want the low profile seat (I wear 32x32 carharts if that's a good enough example).

Hope that covered it.

MrLebowski screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 08:05 AM
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckracer View Post

My seat does not look exactly like the link above. That picture is what I thought I was getting, ended up that where your but rests most of the time is suede.
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
ckracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLebowski View Post
My seat does not look exactly like the link above. That picture is what I thought I was getting, ended up that where your but rests most of the time is suede.

thx for the info MrLebowski....in saddlemans 2012 catalog and on their website they have pics for the 950 but nothing for the 990......and my emails go unanswered.....once you can get a pic posted that would be great.......wonder if the heated version would be worth it???

2012 catalog
http://www.saddlemen.com/images/prod...ricCatalog.pdf

ckracer screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 03:55 PM
ckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #27
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,526
I sent an email about the height difference between the low profile and standard seats.

Came back saying it was 2" lower than the standard.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #28
mmurry OP
Adventurer

first off to the best of my knowledge the adv and the SE seats are different...

I bought the standard seat for my SE and I imagine they could trim an inch out of the seat height with out comprimising comfort but no more than that...

The saddlemen seat is well built and supremely more comfortable than the stocker on the SE...

absolutely sucks that you would find a harley seat mistakenly in the box marked KTM... have you called saddlemen directly??? I bought a harley chopper frame off ebay that was part of a custom chrome kit bike ... hardcore 2,,, I was trying to source a lot of the parts that originally came with the kit... found that the kit came with a saddlemen seat... called saddlemen and spoke to a guy there that knew what I was talking about... said they dont make that seat anymore but that he would be glad to make me one up and send it out... they were extra friendly and helpful for me...
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

[QUOTE=mmurry

absolutely sucks that you would find a harley seat mistakenly in the box marked KTM... have you called saddlemen directly??? I bought a harley chopper frame off ebay that was part of a custom chrome kit bike ... hardcore 2,,, I was trying to source a lot of the parts that originally came with the kit... found that the kit came with a saddlemen seat... called saddlemen and spoke to a guy there that knew what I was talking about... said they dont make that seat anymore but that he would be glad to make me one up and send it out... they were extra friendly and helpful for me...[/QUOTE]

I bought mine through amazon, the vendor was BIG BAD power sports. BAD is the correct verbage, not only was a harley seat in the box,( markings on the box were from a fly product) it was packed in a box to small for the seat, buldging the sides & with NO PACKING MATERIAL at all. Finally spoke to customer service on friday, my 5th call to them. The prior 4 messeges i left went unanswered. After explaining the incorrect seat was in the box, but the paper work for a 950SE seat was inside & correct, the IDIOT on the phone kept asking me how do i know its not the correct one. After 5 minutes of ridiculous questions from the IDIOT on the phone, did you match it up with the stock one, did you try to fit it on the bike, can you take a picture to confirm, OMG. Needles to say right then & there i asked for a return shipping label & a refund. On to the next vendor, hopefully the ebay vendor can get it correct.

RIDE ON!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
mmurry OP
Adventurer

My Saddlemen seat came through amazon through big bad powersports too... the box it came in was gigantic.... seat was wrapped in 8 or 9 inches of bubble wrap inside the box.... guess I got lucky...