Smart looking rides gents.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
2000 vfr

Other bikes have come and gone but there's a reason the Interceptor stays in the stable. Feel free to disagree but best . . . street bike. . . ever.

Here's a photo from an old link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post17817333

Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I own a 2000 5th gen. VFR. I went through four other bikes, but when I got this one, I stopped looking at other road bikes. The fit and finish is very good, and I like the riding position. The 5th gen. was the last with the legendary gear driven cams, and the sound is racy and unique. I didn't get excited about the 6th gen. VFR, because Honda made it more complicated, yet didn't give it any more power and dropped the gear driven cams.
The truth is, any generation is a nice choice, and if I were to buy one again, it would be a 1993 model. The V-4 is just addicting.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Steele View Post
Other bikes have come and gone but there's a reason the Interceptor stays in the stable. Feel free to disagree but best . . . street bike. . . ever.

Here's a photo from an old link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post17817333

Oh man I want a white one!!!!! I gotta have one!!! I really like the VTEC models. I will take my chances on the service intervals and do them myself. I guess its time to bike shop!! I was checking out Yakez?? I saw 6th gens for like $2600. Is this correct?? Lemme know!!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #20
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I saw 6th gens for like $2600. Is this correct?? Lemme know!!

Sounds suspiciously low for a 6th gen. That price is in line for clean 3rd and 4th gens. A used 6th gen in good shape will fetch two to three times that much.

BTW, don't be afraid of going older (3rd/4th gens). The bikes are so well made they hold up for a looooooooooooooooong time.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #21
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Sounds suspiciously low for a 6th gen. That price is in line for clean 3rd and 4th gens. A used 6th gen in good shape will fetch two to three times that much.

BTW, don't be afraid of going older (3rd/4th gens). The bikes are so well made they hold up for a looooooooooooooooong time.

Thanks LM, I will keep that in mind. And let me find that link and let you guys figure it out. It does sound suspicious to me. But hey what do i know. haha

Okay so im learning, a white is a Limited Edition for $2600?? http://www.stumblehere.com/classifie...-US2600-522751

Looks like i might be goin to Nebraska: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2940469667.html

Chris
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #22
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
My sixth gen

My '08 is set up to travel... lotsa solo multi day trips camp out rides and long weekends w/ GF on the back..I am very happy with it. i especially like the 5.8 gallon tank as i easily cruise over 200 mi per tank. Plenty of pep and a comfy ride for me..no plan to change anytime soon.

N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,312
I won't get into superlatives about it, but I really love my 2000 VFR! I had an ST 1300 prior, and the ride is like night and day...the ST was a pig. I've done some minor suspension mods, and put a Givi top box on it. It also has a high mount Staintune exhaust that sounds absolutely bad ass. This picture is after packing up after an Olds Cool rally at Tellico Plains...the bag makes a great back rest...

It's not the fastest or the purtiest, but it's the one bike that will stay in my garage...

IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
I agree the VFR is the best sporting street bike motorcycle ever.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
From a trip last year...LA to Big Sur to DV to LA.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Wow does that make me happy I do my own service!!

Holy cripes, that's no lie!
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #27
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
In truth, I was on a prepaid service plan, so could care less what the numbers were. But that being said, they did change the plan after I racked up 36K and associated services. . .. (they were anticipating less than 3K per year).

Please tell what came to $36,000.00 and over how long a period?

Thats...it's...well...too scary for me to even contemplate!
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
sorry for the confusion, 36K references miles. so through the service intervals a bit over 2 times, a quick add up had me over $6,000 in shop costs. IIRC, the service plan was $1,300 for 3 years, unlimited miles. Also got tire coverage. That particular bike was replaced by Honda with the '07 I pictured a few posts back for other reasons, with another 3 years coverage. Note the clear turn signals. . .. And yes, it has '04 asphalt tank and plastics.

6th Gens are great bikes -- but the 16K valve check is time intensive -- figure on 8-10 hours. It adds up quickly.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #29
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
sorry for the confusion, 36K references miles. so through the service intervals a bit over 2 times, a quick add up had me over $6,000 in shop costs. IIRC, the service plan was $1,300 for 3 years, unlimited miles. Also got tire coverage. That particular bike was replaced by Honda with the '07 I pictured a few posts back for other reasons, with another 3 years coverage. Note the clear turn signals. . .. And yes, it has '04 asphalt tank and plastics.

6th Gens are great bikes -- but the 16K valve check is time intensive -- figure on 8-10 hours. It adds up quickly.
I've been tempted by a VFR but it's the service costs on that V4 engine that put me off.

Quite a few owners put them up for sale at about 15,000 miles, I think the OP should watch out for that.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I've been tempted by a VFR but it's the service costs on that V4 engine that put me off.

Quite a few owners put them up for sale at about 15,000 miles, I think the OP should watch out for that.
Go for the preferred 5th Gen
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote