Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
BarKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Excellent all rounder, no complaints once I squared away a couple of wiring issues (melted starter relay and associated wires). Had several trouble free long trips, not seeing much seat time now that I've started dabbling offf pavement, though.

BarKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
Joe?

Oddometer: 679
I have been meaning to say this in the VFR thread, but it's all the same. I went to some local dealers last weekend and sat on the following: Triumph Explorer, Tiger 1050, Tiger 800, Sprint GT, FZ8, and a few Beemers and none did for me what the VFR does (the Sprint comes close). I rode mine 7800 miles across 21 states in 15 days in March this year, have put over 22k since I bought it in July of last year with minimal maintenance. It is the total package.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #33
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I have had mine about 6 months, 2K miles and I love it. I have 3K miles in trips planned for July with the GF. I came from a 1994 ZX600 so this was a big improvement. Mine has a Corbin seat, Two Brothers exhaust, and I added the factory top case to the already existing side cases and R&G frame sliders. All the rest is in gear and gas. I really love this bike. I commute daily in it and get out for rides whenever I can find time. Its a great jack of all trades.

vulgar1 screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 08:36 AM
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #34
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The VFR was my dream bike- fully faired, single sided swingarm, luggage, and that dual high mount exhaust makes for the sexiest piece of a@@ I've ever seen!

Why I've kept him and love him is because-
Like others have said, he's fun in the twisties, even though I'm a relatively light rider (150 lbs at my heaviest) and still wonderful for those longer rides.

I've put over 52K miles on him now since I got him in '08 with 1,700 miles on him and only done one valve check at the recommended 16K. The mechanic I use said that all the subsequent valve checks he's ever done on VFRs after the initial one (if it was done correctly) have come back right in spec and didn't need the subsequent adjustments.

I rode him 52 miles each way to and from work in all weather year round for about 3 years until I moved closer to work. I miss riding as much daily. I'm working on getting up earlier to make a hill run before work now. It's soooooo hard not to hit that snooze though. lol

He's comfortable for really long rides. We've gone out to Oklahoma in triple digit weather and up to DC in pouring rain. We've run out to Houston, TX when the thermometer on the dash read 14 .

It's a great 2-up bike! We take the kids on back and head out wherever for a day of riding. I have the Corbin seat and my husband has the Sargent. We each prefer the one we have.

DOWNSIDE-

Be ready for the R/R to die and take the stator with it around 40K miles. Both of our bikes lost them around that mile mark. It's an easy fix you can do yourself, though routing the stator wires through the engine is a PITA.

What I've changed/added. Zumo, Corbin seat, Givi touring windscreen, Lightech carbon fiber mirrors (damn they look cool), luggage, powerlet in steering column. I think that's it.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.

Gadget Girl screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 06:58 AM Reason: forgot a detail
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #35
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Thought I would revive this thread as I'm now looking at VFR's .....keep all these wonderful praises coming folks, I am going to be 72 this season and a VFR may well be in my future.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
GPrairie_Rider OP
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
I just picked up a XR650L cheap. But i am still in the hunt for a VFR since i sold my GSXR. I want something with hardbags and higher handle bars. Long trips killed me on the GSXR.

Chris
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
Phineas
Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer: 161
too many people are worried about the valve adjustment intervals on the 6th generations. Unless you're in the canyons or on the track the VTEC is engaged very little of your riding time and they see very little wear. Mine needed adjustment (from the factory I assume)during the 16k service but there hasn't been one out of spec since. I didn't check them between the 48 and 96K mile service. The bike has 98K now. There's a guy on VFRdiscussion that's never checked his.

I'd get a VFRness from TooSlow on the VFRdiscussion website right away and if you plan to travel before you know the bike pick up a stator and an rr to keep in the saddle bags. It takes longer to remove the plastic and stator cover than it does to change the components. On my second set I soldered all the connections and haven't had a problem since.

I missed low end torque when I first got the bike. I'd always ridden fire breathers before...but it's fast enough and it's enough of everything. VFR teach you what "balanced" means. It took me 20K miles to fall in love with the bike but now I'm looking for a low mileage replacement, hopefully a 2007 candy red one. The motors seem to last about 150K but I want to be prepared.
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
pres589
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I've had my 2004 VFR since 2007, bought as a brand new left over, and have put 45,000 miles on so far. It's an all around great bike but I do get annoyed at having to pull bodywork to do a lot of services. I modified the inner-fairing that runs between the sides so it's easier to get an oil filter on and off (cut the center out) so that made life easier. Like a lot of EFI bikes these days, mine has some lean miss issues that aren't terrible but can be annoying, certain region's fuels seem to make it worse.

I've never had it to a dealership for major service. I need to, or I need to get serious about doing it myself. I had a wiring recall done but that's it. At this point I need to change plugs, fuel filter, air filter (thinking about doing a home-made panel filter change to the original one, Honda skimped on the size of filter material in what looks like an attempt to tune the bike, plus a factory filter is something like $50 and I think I can do better by modding it), a valve adjustment would be smart, and I believe I have a hydralic cam chain tensioner "clacking" and I don't know if there's some magic brand of motor oil that can fix it. So I may pay dealership pricing to get the valves done and the tensioner at the same time. I'd also like to get the previously mentioned VFRness and add some kind of voltage gauge.

The SS-Swingarm makes tire changes pretty easy, so that helps.

I'm 6'5" tall and the bike from factory was a bit unconfortable. I added Gen-Mar bar risers, an MRA windscreen that I then hacked up to way shorter than stock so I wasn't getting buffeting wind right at my head anymore, peg lowering blocks, and a Sargent seat. The Sargent is pretty decent but it's shorter than factory, apparently, so it wasted a lot of the gain on the blocks.

The bike has left me stranded one time; the stator burned up. I replaced it with aftermarket and so far so good but I think when spring rolls around it's time to get serious about refreshing some things with a real focus on the electrics. I may also add a Powercommander or if I go crazy a Microsquirt doing just the FI stuff. VTEC engagement is not a big deal on my bike, it just gets a little louder and there's a bit of a jump in power. Kind of nice actually.

I do like the bike quite a bit although that BMW R**R thread has some temptation to it.
pres589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #39
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
My opinion....

best all around bike ever made, Period.

if you could have only one ==> VFR800

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
About the 6th Gen wiring harness recall, you can call Honda:

Motorcycle Division
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Mailstop:100-4W-5B
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

Give them the bike VIN and tell them you just want to see if the recall issue has been taken care of. If it hasn't that could be a haggling point even though it shouldn't cost you anything other than some time.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #41
JPCollinsworth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I bought a 2007 RWB two years ago as a stablemate for an '06 ST1300 I'd bought new. The first year I continued to use the ST as primary but last year I found myself riding the VFR more and more. It's great for solo riding. Mid-year last year, I decided to sell the ST and hang on to the VFR. Plan to keep it forever. The size and power to weight ratio are perfect for me.
JPCollinsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #42
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
If you are serious about getting one you should head over to VFRdiscussion.com and take a look around. Lots of good info there. I have been all over that sight and picked up some helpful knowledge about the short comings of the VFR. Mostly the RR and Stator on the 6th gen. There is a member named Tightwad that sells a VFRness and this helps to correct some of the small factory wiring that leads to this problem in the first place.

I still have mine. Put over 10K on it last year. I added some Helibars and some lowered foot pegs from another member on either VFRdiscussion.com or VFRworld.com, can't remember which now. Anyways, it has made the bike much more comfortable and helped allow some multiple day, thousand mile rides. I also put a fused block for accessories and added an Alaskan sheep skin seat cover to help the rear end. I just added on a Pro-oiler so I can tour like a shafty. Can't wait to put some more miles up!
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote