Looks like fun
AndyE_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
mfpthebronze OP
China Rider

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRoot View Post
for track handling you should aim for the bikes weight to be near the headstock, and the rider/bike combined balance should be about 60/40 front/rear.
mind melting amounts of info here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-engine-tuner
kiwi bucket racers would be right up your street. just don't tell em you used an ax100....
I've just started reading through this link and you're right, that's a mind melting amount of info. I think I've just booked my next weeks' worth of free time! Cheers for that link.

I had never really cared about small bikes (less than 600cc) when I was in the States. Came to China and suddenly 250cc was big. Now we're working on a 100cc "heap" as RichardKTM says, and I'm getting into it. It's a good way to focus on the finer points of adjustment and tuning, as big power and traction aren't really going to play a role here
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #33
richardktm
Richard KTM

Oddometer: 47
Rear Brakes

This week I decided to refurbish the rear brakes after doing the front brakes last week. The front brakes were binding a bit after we put too much fluid in the master cylinder, when the lid was tightened down the pads were nipping the disc.

The rear end was covered in the same rattle can black as the rest of the bike so first job was a quick clean up, time to dig in and do a strip down. We even have a Brembo master cylinder.

The old pads fell apart on disassembly, Iím guessing the bike has been stood for a few years. One of the sliding pins had totally frozen and expanded inside the calliper, and I couldnít get them apart with levers or by spinning it.. in the end I took drastic measures and drilled out the end cap and used a punch to drive them apart.
This bike will never see rain and be stored inside so I cleaned up the pin and will find a grommet for the hole in the end.

After an hour with the wire wheel things were looking a bit better so itís time for a well deserved beer.
Tsingtao (chin- dow) is one of the most common beers in China, at 4.2% itís not too bad when its ice cold. Some beers here are as low as 2%!!

New high friction brake pads were acquired from the local bike shop, they arenít EBC GP spec but they are bright blue??
Everything went back together as it should and the fluid was changed for the good stuff that you can see through.

Time for another beers I think.
Cheers Rich
richardktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #34
mfpthebronze OP
China Rider

Bearing XXVII

I've spent ALL DAY looking through the links and reading the referenced material suggested, by TerraRoot, and am just having an aforementioned TsingTao.

I think I may be the only person here who hasn't read The Two-Stroke Tuner Handbook
http://www.vintagesleds.com/library/...20Handbook.pdf

If you haven't though, it's a great read on 2stroke motor fundamentals, and is turning out to be very applicable to our project.

So, I guess I should post something about the bike

I'd post about the painting process on the tank, but it's still sitting here in my bedroom in the same condition as last time. My wife is going back to her hometown this week, so I'll probably actually work on it then and post about it. For now I'll post yet ANOTHER bearing/maintenance post.

For those of you who are hanging in there with us on this build, we promise it will actually be a build soon, and not just us performing routine maintenance

As you saw on an earlier post, I had taken apart the steering head to find the mangled remains of the bearings. It was time to replace them so one of the guys bought 2 different sets of bearings and races.

(Apologies for the poor picture quality on this one. The sun was harsh and back-lighting every pic)

The races on the bike are in decent condition, and the new races were bought just because they came together with the bearings. But, we figured since we had them, it might be worth having a look at replacing the old ones. The fact that the new races were about 3mm in diameter too large didn't bother some in our group, and we had a go at it anyway

results = what you would expect.
So with the original races back in place, we packed in the news bearings with grease and reassembled the front end

Yeah, that gap between the upper race and the head stock is terrible. That's the way we got the bike, and it's OBVIOUSLY not the way it left the factory. Yet another thing we say we'll replace in the future. Truth be told, as the bike will never see inclement weather in our hands, it's probably not that much of an issue. The bearings cost about $1.3 for the full set, so we'll just replace them when the time comes I think

RichardKTM giving the ADV Salute.

There you have it, another exciting bearing change!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Great stuff. More, please.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #36
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
it's been a while but i think my yamaha rxs100 has head bearings like that, your missing a washer with a bell/skirt that covers the lot.
careful of that thread, it'll turn you into a power hungry two-stroke tuner with many many oddly shaped files
TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #37
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
You are a bunch of nutters putting that much work into this bike, but as long as you are having fun it's all good!! And somehow I do feel compelled to read the thread even if it's just about bearing changes, maybe it's cause I'm glad I am not the one with the dirty hands for once!!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #38
mfpthebronze OP
China Rider

Hey guys. We've been working on the Yamaha a little, but bike trips have kept us busy prepping other bikes and riding.

We are currently in the process of
1. Repainting the tank
2. Prepping bodywork
3. Making engine mounts

The tank is still sitting on my bedroom floor, and I've only gotten away with that for this long because my wife has been gone. Buuuut, she's back today. So I guess I'll have to actually do something with it now. Which is a shame because I was kind of growing attached to it.... I was obviously getting lonely

The rear bodywork is also now sitting in my home. But it's in the living-room, so I'm not going to do anything with it until my wife gets upset about it.

We also made some progress on the front forks (not sure if progress really describes anything that we do).

I think I've mentioned before that the springs cannot be removed from the fork uppers. It is a sealed unit, only allowing the lowers to separate from the uppers, and for the fork oil to be changed.

Separating the forks reveals the inner piston, which is attached to the spring inside. Unfortunately, this configuration doesn't allow us to put in a spacer and stiffen the spring rate. These are obviously budget forks and they are made to accommodate the weight of a 15 year-old named Tetsuo. So they are definitely under-sprung for us.

We were finally able to source a set of fork seals from the neighboring city, so the forks could be re-assembled.

Out with the old fork oil

We decided to have a bit of a test and see how the forks felt with some thick oil in them. The only "proper" fork oil we could buy was so generic that it didn't even have the oil weight listed. So, out came the 40 weight motor oil, and we filled them up. When I say filled up, I mean, we pretty much topped them up.

I would have taken a picture of this process as it involved 2 bottles, a funnel, and a squeeze bottle - but I was fairly bathed in oil after about 2 seconds. Me all glossy and covered with oil, my hands slipping all over the upper fork tube. Wasn't pretty.

I will replace that mental image however, with a picture of our lunch

New fork seals in, forks reassembled, and everything put back together.

It's a rolling chassis again...

Hard to feel great about only really getting it right back to where we started, but the front forks feel fantastic now all things considered. Everything else is working properly (if you don't mind things working badly) and engine mounts are up next

One more pic to really utilize your bandwidth

Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
You are throwing so much money at this project, has no one told you that two strokes are not allowed on the Moto Gp Grid these days! Looking forward to seeing the final results when it makes it to a track day.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #40
mfpthebronze OP
China Rider

I just came in off the roof, and thought I'd just add a quick update. I did the first round of painting on the tank with a different can of paint, and it's slightly better than the first can I used on the front fender.

This time I used "Paintrainbowchemical" brand "Paint Master Auto Spray Paint"

I also suffered from the first law of BBQ. Where ever you stand, will be where the smoke (or in my case paint) blows. I think I got better coverage than the tank.

I've painted things before in the States with a can of white paint (because I live classy like that ) and had no problem getting good coverage. Here though...

I used up the whole can and I think I'll have to apply another 2 cans before I get decent coverage.

Oh well... I'm off to the pool
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
pain-train-bow-chemical? i don't know what, but it's awesome.
TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #42
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
love this build small cc bikes are way more fun
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #43
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I'm a huge fan of this build. Keep it up. I want to see a total build amount in USD when you're finished! Everything seems hilariously cheap (and super high quality!) over there.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:01 AM   #44
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
lol @ "high quality"
Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #45
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 371
MOAR!!!!!!! I need more progress.......really enjoy the enthusiasm