Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 571
Pissed Who is the Go TO shop for LC8 rebuilding?

Im broke down in Phoenix and it looks like a bottom end rebuild is in order. I live outside of Seattle and need to ship the bike. Any referals for a West Coast shop that you would recommend?
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
cholla
earth rover

Oddometer: 151
ADVmachines

Sorry to hear about your situation. Personally, If I lived in Woodinville, Wa. I would be emailing Ken at ADVmachines.com, he's just north of you, in Bellingham. He knows the 950/990 inside and out. Pick his brain. You can't go wrong there. He bleeds orange! (advmachines@advmachines.com) Let us know how it goes.

cholla screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 02:03 PM
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Saw you have a 2007 990 Adventure. Here are a couple of used 2007 SuperDuke engines on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Superduk...514066&vxp=mtr (Looks like they had to do some case repair. I wouldn't buy this one.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Super-Du...7f3151&vxp=mtr

They are both for about $2300. I'm pretty sure these motors would be compatible. You may want to ask the wisdom of the forums to be sure. Not sure if the clutch is the same. The cams are a little different, so you may need a bit of a tune, but you would gain some HP. The cams in these motors are actually the same as what is put in later 990 Adventures.

I'm sure you could part the good parts of your existing motor out and defray some of the cost. Probably what I would do instead of paying someone else to rebuild the bottom end. Plus, much less screwing around.

Nut Clutch screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 02:01 PM
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,186
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. Personally, If I lived in Woodinville, Wa. I would be emailing Ken at ADVmachines.com, he's just north of you, in Bellingham. He knows the 950/990 inside and out. Pick his brain. You can't go wrong there. He bleeds orange! (advmachines@advmachines.com) Let us know how it goes.
And give Ken time to return your call. He can be busy, but he's great.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
Trailtricks.com is here in SoCal and does great work.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lavigne View Post
Saw you have a 2007 990 Adventure. Here are a couple of used 2007 SuperDuke engines on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Superduk...514066&vxp=mtr (Looks like they had to do some case repair. I wouldn't buy this one.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Super-Du...7f3151&vxp=mtr

They are both for about $2300. I'm pretty sure these motors would be compatible. You may want to ask the wisdom of the forums to be sure. Not sure if the clutch is the same. The cams are a little different, so you may need a bit of a tune, but you would gain some HP. The cams in these motors are actually the same as what is put in later 990 Adventures.

I'm sure you could part the good parts of your existing motor out and defray some of the cost. Probably what I would do instead of paying someone else to rebuild the bottom end. Plus, much less screwing around.
I think the gearbox is a close ratio one on a SD. It might be too revvy on the road if you gear the bike down with the front sprocket for off road use.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,511
Call: http://liorsmotoride.com/

His number is (951)415-5668

He has a mobile service and might be able to come pick up the bike? He does great work and knows the 950's and BMW's
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRulz View Post
I think the gearbox is a close ratio one on a SD. It might be too revvy on the road if you gear the bike down with the front sprocket for off road use.
That would suck. I retract my suggestion.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 571
Cool2 Away I go

Well hows this for an interesting turn of events? First off, thanks to you all for the advice. I was on the phone with KTM NA and they recommended Scuderia West in San Fran so I called them and talked to Niles. We talked about symptoms and what was going on just before, etc etc. I had dropped the bike at a shop here in Phoenix last week for a full service before heading out for a month long ride. Just a couple miles before I got to that dealership the bike started overheating. Apparently the water pump failed at the perfect time -instead of the New Mexico back country-and dumped its coolant into the oil. So they did a full service and a water pump. When I rode away yesterday there was enough residule water that the new oil filter failed and collapsed which turned on the oil pres light. I shut off the motor and coasted off the road and the same shop sent a trailer to recover.
Niles recommended another oil change and new filter and that fixed the issue. Now I'm back on the road, the bike sounds as healthy and happy as always. I went from a $3500 repair bill to a $30 one.
A valuble lesson: preemptively replace your water pump before it fails. Every 15K?
I do love my 990
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
sonoran
aint got time fo dat

Oddometer: 20,388
If you're wanting to get it fixed here in Phoenix then call Dillon at Zen Moto in Mesa. He does a lot of the LC8 work for many inmates here in the forum and rides a 950ADV himself.

http://www.zenmotostore.com/
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyred View Post
Well hows this for an interesting turn of events? First off, thanks to you all for the advice. I was on the phone with KTM NA and they recommended Scuderia West in San Fran so I called them and talked to Niles. We talked about symptoms and what was going on just before, etc etc. I had dropped the bike at a shop here in Phoenix last week for a full service before heading out for a month long ride. Just a couple miles before I got to that dealership the bike started overheating. Apparently the water pump failed at the perfect time -instead of the New Mexico back country-and dumped its coolant into the oil. So they did a full service and a water pump. When I rode away yesterday there was enough residule water that the new oil filter failed and collapsed which turned on the oil pres light. I shut off the motor and coasted off the road and the same shop sent a trailer to recover.
Niles recommended another oil change and new filter and that fixed the issue. Now I'm back on the road, the bike sounds as healthy and happy as always. I went from a $3500 repair bill to a $30 one.
A valuble lesson: preemptively replace your water pump before it fails. Every 15K?
I do love my 990
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyred View Post
I do love my 990
How good did that make you feel??? I bet there wasnt a sigh of relief - just relief...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611461
Email. Turtleshell5@icloud.com
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 540
Flyred is one lucky bastard!
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
I love a happy ending...
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,390
I am always curious as to how people get to the "It needs a new bottom end" point without having done some exploration first.

Glad you got it sorted without paying someone to tear into the motor Flyred.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote