Oddometer: 1,268
Signs of the times

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Well that owner may be justly proud to have an exhaust that's less dangerous to bystanders.

There are some mobile, and usually not mobile, human structures that have dangerous regions at their stern ends.

Air-diluted Exhaust Emissions

Quote:
The new tech under the hood is called Fuel Vapor, and it’s able to increase the fuel efficiency of any gas engine by up to 20% while at the same time decreasing CO2 emissions by 30%, all without a catalytic converter. This is all apparently made possible by mixing air with fuel at a ratio of 20:1, as opposed to 14.7:1, which is standard for most cars. Although the Fuel Vapor system can be installed on any gas engine, it’s flagship platform, the alĂ© (that would be “allay,” not “ale”), is no slouch. The alĂ© has a 180hp Honda engine and can accelerate from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, with an electronically limited top speed of 140 mph. It corners at 1.7g on street tires, and at 92 mpg, can drive from Canada so San Francisco without refueling. Furthermore, it emits 75% less CO2 than your average hybrid.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
Sounds like Chrysler's "Lean Burn" experiments. Circa 1976. Opened the door to computer engine controls; but the extremely-lean fuel ratio didn't work so well in practice.

I'm always skeptical of new, miraculous technologies, proven in press releases. There are always operators out there trying to sell something or some idea; and to many of them, truth is a tool and facts don't matter.

Like this "carbon footprint" stuff. I can think of a thousand good reasons to ride. Reducing carbon dioxide, which is a very small percentage of atmospheric gases...is NOT one of them.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Carbon footprint: another euphemism for forcing the masses to part with their money needlessly - carbon credits anyone? C02 a pollutant? No - its plant food.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
COMING OUT OF AN ICE AGE

Yup, it is getting warmer, but that just means more good days for riding. What a convenient truth.

creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
The BIG trouble is . . . unlike plants we, along with the animal kingdom and the life in the sea, cannot breath carbon dioxide.

An ocean short of oxygen

Quote:
When temperature rises, oxygen vanishes

Their analyses show that the marked average global temperature rise of around two degrees centigrade occurring between the peak and the end of the last ice age, i.e. 20,000 to 10,000 years ago, had a massive effect on the oxygen content of seawater. The oxygen content of many oceans fell dramatically as a result of the temperature increase, and oxygen-depleted marine zones expanded more than during the cold period.
Quote:
Jaccard stresses that, “We are now seeing a comparable warming, but it is taking place over a mere 100 years.” The global average temperature has increased by almost one degree Celsius since the Industrial Revolution. Models are predicting a worldwide average warming of at least two degrees by 2100.
Quote:
Expansion of the dead zones

At present around 15 percent of the oceans are oxygen-depleted or anoxic “dead zones”. They are expanding in the north Pacific especially. Jaccard fears that these dead zones will expand further in the wake of climate change.

Delivery . . . of . . . oxygen. Will this sight become more common?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I'll worry about my carbon footprint when everyone else has gone all electric in their home, 4&5 cyl turbo vehicles that get over 20 mpg, and commute on a scooter. Till then I've gonna have fun. BTW, I didn't do all that to cut down on my carbon footprint, I did it because I love turbo's and riding. I bought the house all electric, but not because it was all electric. My decisions about vehicles has to do with fun factor. Both are AWD, turbo's that look pedestrian, and are decently fast. I used to have some really fast cars, but with every single person over the age of 5 carrying a cell phone, most with camera's, a distinctive, loud car just gets you hassled or busted if you entertain yourself with speed. Besides, I'm older now and smart enough to know you can't drive a one of a kind car that offends as you go by at a high rate of speed. Now I go buy at a high rate of speed in a car that is much harder to identity and quiet.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
I suddenly feel like going for another ride on my 2 stroke Stella.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by topless View Post
I'll worry about my carbon footprint when everyone else has gone all electric in their home,
FWIW...electric appliances...yes, and cars...generate more, not less, pollution.

Electricity doesn't come from God....or from solar cells. It comes from generating plants.

Which burn coal.

At a thermal efficiency rate of about 20 percent.

That's less than HALF the thermal efficiency of an internal-combustion engine, which is about 40-45 percent. You'd be better served to get an old V-8 engine, set it up in the garage burning natural gas (of which we have plenty) and rig it to a large generator set. Power your appliances that way; and use the heat off the engine to heat your home in winter.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Not all electricity is generated by coal. I live in Washington State. We get the majority of our electricity from hydro power. Clean - no carbon footprint (a BS idea at best) - and it works day in and day out. We also have wind generators that cost an arm and a leg to operate - have a much higher carbon footprint than hydro power - and don't work when the wind doesn't blow.

So now the eco-freaks are bitching about all the birds that the windmills are killing. Never gonna make these idiots happy until we're all living in caves - so we may as well start building nuclear plants in a cookie cutter style. Approve a standard plant - add more reactors as needed to suit different areas - and viola! No carbon output - as if it really mattered anyway!
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Don't forget the NIMBY effect. Remember the howl that the late Sen. Kennedy put up when they wanted to put up a wind farm off Cape Cod? I don't think they ever did get that approved and built.

Nuclear works, but don't tell that to the eco-freaks. They still think it will blow us all up.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
Not all electricity is generated by coal. I live in Washington State. We get the majority of our electricity from hydro power. Clean - no carbon footprint (a BS idea at best) - and it works day in and day out. We also have wind generators that cost an arm and a leg to operate - have a much higher carbon footprint than hydro power - and don't work when the wind doesn't blow.

So now the eco-freaks are bitching about all the birds that the windmills are killing. Never gonna make these idiots happy until we're all living in caves - so we may as well start building nuclear plants in a cookie cutter style. Approve a standard plant - add more reactors as needed to suit different areas - and viola! No carbon output - as if it really mattered anyway!
Your point is well-taken. The "carbon emissions" idea is fatuous at best - a "good" reason for doing what they want to do, which is de-industrialize the hinterlands. Notice while they're attacking oil, gas, and even coal, they're NOT promoting water or nuclear, two proven technologies. No, it's gotta be wind or solar - which can NOT work with today's technological equipment.

They do want us in caves; or in their cities where we can be easily controlled.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:

Your right! They's never gonna be satisfied.

They can kiss my ass and quit there bitchin!

I say screw all that bullshit. Like these people says global warming and all that shit. I say bullshit. Eventually we's gonna run out of gas I bet. So we should enjoy it while we can. Espically with them chinese getting cars and such.

And I think there ain't no big deal. Electric cars suck right now, period. For example, them there huge batteries ain't no good for the envirement when they goes bad, and they ain't cheap to replace either. Yea some energy come from them water plants, but not all lots of it still come from normal ways depends on where you live I reckon.

And electric cars aside from that still has lots of issues. Air Conditioning? Whatcha gonna do about it? Is there any in most? And if so, you'd sure as hell drain them batteries purdy quick with a big compressor. What about heating in the winter? Electric motors don't hardly generate much heat, and there ain't no radiator so no core=no engine heat to use. Your stuck with 3 options. Heat pump [use AC compresor with reversing valve which will quickly drain the battery, or electric resistance heaters, which will drain the batterys to empty in a matter of minutes. OR, I reckon the only real way, is a Propane/Kerosene heater. This would need special engineering to have in a car safely. Actually, it'd work well, it'd be like instant heat in the cold mornings. BUT, oh thats right! Youse burning fossil fuels or whatever, and basically polluting to some degree! Semi defeating the purpose of the electric car.

Now most of us bikers and scooterists put on a jacket and we's fine in the cold, but I don't believe these sissy tree hugger types will be satsfied with no heat in a car, nor will your average family or people. So no climate control in the car. Then, a limited range. Now for your average commute to work, you may be ok on a charge. But y'all that take your family to the beech? Not gonna happen. Or y'all that drive long distances? Good luck.

And, I don't think them electric companies can nearly provide the demand of an electric car in most homes. Hell they hardly can provide enough for high AC demands in the summer sometimes [=blackouts].

So these liberals tree hugger type can fuck off, I'll keep a driven my F250 with a 460 BB. If I need good MPG I got the scoot and bike.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Founder of The Weather Channel...

...saw something interesting on youtube a few yrs back dispelling this global warming thing having anything to even do with our existence here as the founder of the weather channel explained it.
The guy basically showed graphs that represented what scientists were showing in layers of the planet from core samples, that the Earth has been going through hot/cold cycles like we're experiencing now, long before we were ever here.

All this global warming B.S. is just like sports = it's a way to take your focus away from the things your Govt. is doing that actually negatively affects your life.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY! Time to wake the fuck up and not believe EVERYTHING you hear.

rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Quote:
Carbon footprint: another euphemism for forcing the masses to part with their money needlessly - carbon credits anyone? C02 a pollutant? No - its plant food.

You picked an excellent screen-name. It fits you well.

Quote:

http://www.inspectapedia.com/hazmat/CO2gashaz.htm

Basic Information about Concentrations of CO2 in Air

1,000,000 ppm of a gas = 100 % concentration of the gas, and 10,000 ppm of a gas in air = a 1% concentration.

At 1% concentration of carbon dioxide CO2 (10,000 parts per million or ppm) and under continuous exposure at that level, such as in an auditorium filled with occupants and poor fresh air ventilation, some occupants are likely to feel drowsy.

The concentration of carbon dioxide must be over about 2% (20,000 ppm) before most people are aware of its presence unless the odor of an associated material (auto exhaust or fermenting yeast, for instance) is present at lower concentrations.

Above 2%, carbon dioxide may cause a feeling of heaviness in the chest and/or more frequent and deeper respirations.
If exposure continues at that level for several hours, minimal "acidosis" (an acid condition of the blood) may occur but more frequently is absent.

Breathing rate doubles at 3% CO2 and is four times the normal rate at 5% CO2.

Toxic levels of carbon dioxide: at levels above 5%, concentration CO2 is directly toxic. [At lower levels we may be seeing effects of a reduction in the relative amount of oxygen rather than direct toxicity of CO2.]

Symptoms of high or prolonged exposure to carbon dioxide include headache, increased heart rate, dizziness, fatigue, rapid breathing, visual and hearing dysfunctions. Exposure to higher levels may cause unconsciousness or death within minutes of exposure.
Too much CO2 makes you INTO plant food.

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote