Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #31
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Some kind words spoken here. Thanks to all who have a Steerite and help promote it. Word of mouth is a great way to do business as much as it is a great way to destroy a business if the words spoken are no good. We have stayed small as a company and may not be on 'Main St.' but we keep a very high standard of workmanship, innovation and customer relations. Without these things, I wouldn't be here thanking you.
Regards,
Brock Smith
Side Effects
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #32
RFLIVES OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I'm saving my pennys should be able to get the trees out next week if some thing else don't blow up first
RFLIVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
MUTZfern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Talking guzundheit

put them on my 1971 R60/5 about 6 years ago.never a problem.eliminated all problems including global warming.
MUTZfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #34
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Got it installed

Well, am in the middle of rebuilding the front end on my GL1500... pulled the fork legs off, took 'em apart replacing bushings and seals (ordered - should be in tomorrow). Got the old triple trees removed and the Steerite modded trees installed. Not a small job! Sure am looking forward to getting it all back together and taking it for a spin.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #35
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Test drive... worth it? Yes - absolutely.

Finished up with the front end work to my GL1500 today. Installing the Steerite modded triple trees is not a job for the meek - big job on critical parts. While I had everything apart, I rebuilt my front end - new bushings, seals, Progressive springs and installed a Blackwing fork brace too. The modded triple trees probably rake the front end out about 3-4 inches total. This really is like adding power steering... which is how Peter & Brock from Side Effects describe it. I found the steering effort greatly reduced, and it's almost like it quickens the steering too. Around town at low speeds you actually have to be careful not to overdo it, it's so light, but it's so much nicer at highway speeds now - perfect! Worth every penny IMO.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
RFLIVES OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Ok got around to putting the new modified trees on and taking a quick trip around the block... HOLY CRAP! Steering went from annoyingly heavy to almost spooky light. They must have a wizard or at least a gnome working in the back. So to answer my own question if you have the means I suggest you pick up a set I did not have to have them but it sure is nice.

RFLIVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #37
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,482
Another convert.

I've met some guys who say "I don't need no stinkin steering modification" and, to a man, none of these guys have ever ridden a rig with modified steering.

Once you do, that's it. You'll never consider another rig that does not have some sort of trail reduction.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #38
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFLIVES View Post
Ok got around to putting the new modified trees on and taking a quick trip around the block... HOLY CRAP! Steering went from annoyingly heavy to almost spooky light. They must have a wizard or at least a gnome working in the back. So to answer my own question if you have the means I suggest you pick up a set I did not have to have them but it sure is nice....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Another convert.

I've met some guys who say "I don't need no stinkin steering modification" and, to a man, none of these guys have ever ridden a rig with modified steering.

Once you do, that's it. You'll never consider another rig that does not have some sort of trail reduction.
Worth every penny, ain't it?!! Both of our little rigs --Sportster & Burgman-- now have modified steering. I agree with Drone: Don't want another without some sort of trail reduction. Congrats on your install -- you will surely enjoy your rig more.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #39
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
I agree that some type of steering modification is not only nice, but absolutely necessary. Many of us waited too long to do the mod too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Another convert.

boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #40
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
How about Bar backs? Worth it?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #41
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I would first try a set of LEADING axle forks from another bike.I had a set of leading LINKS from DMC on my Vstrom and they worked great.

+1 on that brother.

How are you Alan me old mate.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #42
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
How about Bar backs? Worth it?
On a cruiser, and especially now with a sidecar where the bike no longer leans, I like my bars back to where my arms hang straight down from the shoulders and my elbows are bent at 90*. Using "bagger bars" with 4" risers having some pull-back now has my bars right where I want them, and where even my wife can reach them. However, the bit of leverage increase I get for steering by doing that also means I now have to move my hands even farther to make a given turn. So overall, trail reduction is still ahead for me.