Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #61
outlaws justice OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
The ones I see the earlist and latest here in my area are both BMW riders, there is also one 1970's honda that also goes by my house regardless of the weather and I know a Harley Guy who rides all the time but I do not see him. Here where I work, I am the one who's bike is on the pad even when no one else is, the person that rides the most aside from me is a lady who started riding a three seasons ago and rides a 535 virago. Most of the others are "fair weather" riders.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #62
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
of the 15 to 20 people who are based out of the same site i am, there are like 8 people with the M endorsment. and im the only one who doesnt ride a harley

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #63
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
The ones I see the earlist and latest here in my area are both BMW riders.
Same for me. It's almost made me feel like I'm doing something wrong, riding japanese bikes to work in the winter. I almost never see another sportbike out in winter...
Marylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #64
vanagonrabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
3 (2 fair weather) outta 48
vanagonrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #65
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
28 people, 3 riders, plus one who rides as a passenger regularly with her husband. Strangely enough, not the wife of any of the three riders.
I guess I should add that before my wife started working here I rode 4 or 5 days week, including in the cold. The only time I'd drive was when it was actively raining or I my truck hadn't been driven in a couple of weeks and I figured it needed to be use.

My co-worker rides everyday. The third rider is mixed. He had started to ride once or twice a week (moderately new to street riding), but the motor blew up and he is just now getting it back from the shop. So with it starting to get hot again we'll see how much he rides it in.

The boss lets us park in a alcove on the back side of the building so we have covered parking and direct access to a door. Sweet.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #66
Flyinguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
There are 12 people in my office, 4 have the M endorsement. I ride in everything but snow and ice (Dec. thru March). The department mgr. rides in good weather and doesn't mind getting wet occasionally. I ride a GS and the boss rides a RT.
The guy with the Multistrada rides only when the weather is perfect and spends as much per year for polish as he does for fuel. The last guy had a Honda cruiser, but ran wide in a LH curve and totaled it. He is not showing much interest in getting a replacement.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #67
fung
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
2 out of 3 at my work
fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #68
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,824
Company I work for has ten employees, Of those ten there are five of us who ride. Everything from Harleys to Hayabusa's (And one KTM950ADV)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #69
go gonzo
The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer: 192
334 employees
10 ride to work sometimes.
4 ride year round
1 rides every day

About 30 ride dirt bikes.
go gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #70
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
I think there are probably somewhere around 150 people in my building but I can't say how many company wide. My old boss (recently moved to another department) has a dirt bike I never saw, a Yamaha Warrior, and a Victory Cross Country. One of the guys in the Network Operations Center has a custom chopper and a TL-1000R. One of the guys on the graveyard shift has an Electraglide Classic and the grey hair, beard, and leather vest to go with it. He's a super nice guy and a Vietnam veteran who's been riding since before I was born so I'm not about to give him any flack At least one of the guys in our Stockton office has an R6 that he's working to make street legal again after only having track fairings on it for a while.

The only other person I know who's licensed to ride is the lady I bought my bike from. She says she misses it and wants another one so there's still hope

My old boss would ride to work as much as possible and had to take the truck some days just because he had to be perfectly presentable in more formal attire than us techs in the call center. The guy in the NOC rides quite often as well. I'd say I ride to work 97% of the time and my co-workers all think I'm nuts for saying I hope it rains so I can go play in it The funniest thing was the time one of 'em asked me if my windows were closed because it was going to rain. I smiled, picked up my helmet from the desk behind me, closed the visor, told her it was now, and we both had a pretty good laugh
Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #71
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,452
I'm the only one and I'm constantly told it is a dangerous hobby. I very often get "You rode today? It's raining!"
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #72
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,372
My company has over 130,000 employees.....4600 or so on this site, there are usually upward of 30 bikes on the campus. Who knows by percentage.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #73
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Just under 70 full-time employees in the building. Only two motorcycles parked in the lot year round.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #74
Big Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
About 20 where I work, I'm on a bike every day, either motor of pushy (we only have one car, and my wife called dibs on that years ago...). There's one guy with a Bug scooter, which you'll see tucked out the back on the three days a year when the weather is between 23 & 25 degrees (C) and no clouds in sight. One other guy has just bought his first bike, but isn't licensed...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #75
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
When my wife and I lived in Philadelphia and the school where I taught was 25 miles away, I rode at least three days a week. There were two other teachers who had their licenses. The one sold his '95 VFR a few years ago. The other was a fair weather rider of a Suzuki Intruder. I think I saw him ride his bike a half dozen times all of last year. This is out of 50 teachers and 15 or so other employees.

Up in Montclair/West Orange where we live now I am literally a half of a mile from the school where I teach. 95% of the time I walk, which takes me less than 10 minutes. Basically I'm there by the time I would have my gear on, so it isn't worth it. One of the custodians rides a Honda Helix almost every day. He lives about 10 miles away and doesn't even strap his helmet on, but at least he's riding. Up around here 10 miles of locals=a half hour ride minimum, 45 minutes or more with traffic. There are 30 teachers and 10 other employees.

Oscar Wilde
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote