Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #76
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,338
One coworker rides a Vespa occasionally. Two more are ex riders, one of whom wistfully talks of getting a bike again, but never pursues it.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #77
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 697
I'm the boss of a (small but busy) bar in a country with un-enforced drink driving laws.

I and my two staff drive everyday. I'm usually on a Honda AX-250, sometimes a DR250, KTM450RFS or Honda Cub 50.

About 75% of my customers ride, even to and from the bar!, on an assortment of low displacement dirtbikes and auto and semi-auto scoots.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #78
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
6 out of 7 in our shop ride, I'm the only one that regularly rides to work though, 3 of them ride to work on occasion, one only rides to bars, and another only rides around his neighborhood (an old cb550 with tags that expired in the 80s)
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #79
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Just me, 1 of 15 people. Everyone else likes to tell me I shouldn't ride in the rain, cold, etc. I just smile and ignore them. Plus, I'm the boss!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #80
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
We have about 700 employees where I work. Not everyone parks in the same place, so it's hard to say, but I don't think it's more than a couple. I know there is a maintenance supervisor who rides fairly often (or at least says he does) but he parks back by the maintenance building, so I don't usually know about it. But I think on most days, rain or shine, I'm the only one who rode in. I rarely see another bike anywhere.

In my own department of about 100, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who rides to work. I'm aware of about five or six other people who own bikes, but I've never seen them. Up until about a year ago, there were two other guys in my department who rode to work fairly frequently, but both left the company.

Everyone knows me as "that guy who rides his motorcycle to work."

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #81
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
About 5000 employees and maybe 10% ride in. Some people ride, just not to work. But, some people ride rain, snow, sleet, or hail. Not a lot, but a lot more than I would have thought. One guy studded his DR's tires and has ridden every single day since at least March 2011. My hat's off to him. There are a lot of Ruckuses and Harleys and sportbikes. And sportbikes with scratches.

One problem is that traffic is a nightmare at quitting time and clutching around is annoying. Another problem is they're forcing us all to take a motorcycle safety course to retain our parking passes. Instead of encouraging people to ride, they're discouraging them. They don't make the cagers take defensive driving courses, so WTF?

It's BS, but whatever. Ride at your own risk. Make us sign a waiver or something. "If I fall on the tracks because I'm a dumbass, then you don't have to pay." That's all it is.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #82
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,813
There are about 150 employees here. 5 bikes in the lot on nice days. The woman on the HD is fairly hard core about riding in the cold but I think it's because she's not going to let me show her up on my plastic bike. Kudo's to her for riding in fairly bad conditions. One guy either rides or pedals in almost every day year round. 2 others ride almost daily but not in the winter. Me, pretty much all the time unless I need the car for some reason. A few others own bikes but they don't ride into work and not much out of work either.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #83
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
there are around 10 riders that I know of out of 150 people. I'm the only year round all weather rider.
About the same. I'd say there's a dozen or so licensed riders here (120-ish), majority of them are fair-weather riders. Strangely, most of them are right here in Engineering. Not many in other departments.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #84
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
I'm the boss of a (small but busy) bar in a country with un-enforced drink driving laws.

I and my two staff drive everyday. I'm usually on a Honda AX-250, sometimes a DR250, KTM450RFS or Honda Cub 50.

About 75% of my customers ride, even to and from the bar!, on an assortment of low displacement dirtbikes and auto and semi-auto scoots.
Other than the drinking and driving part this sounds like aa pretty cool place.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #85
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,559
On first shift (about 75 people), there are probably 3 motorcycles in the parking lot on any given day. All Harleys and one Victory.

I'm a giant pansy poser because I don't ride a Harley. I even had a coworker tell me, "Every time I see a BMW motorcycle, I want to run it off the road."

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #86
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Are you going through there wallets, to see if they have an endorsement?

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #87
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
At the school where I teach, I'm not really sure who rides and who doesn't. I've been here for about 12 years, but the only other person that I've ever seen ride is a custodian who has a really pretty wine-colored Victory.

My second job has about 90 employees and just on second shift (about 25-30 people) there are:

- 2 Sportsters
- Concours
- ZX6R
- GSXR 750
- Heritage Classic
- Vulcan 900
- my bikes in sig line

Of the group of bikes, the only ones ridden consistently are mine and the Concours. Both of us ride pretty much February to December or whatever the Indiana weather allows us. The others have strict "sunny and 80-degrees plus" riding rules because they choose NGATT. BTW, I'm the only one in the office that rides. All the others are in production or maintenance. The other people in the office are similar to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post

However, everyone knows I ride and are always in a hurry to let me know when the weather is going to change, especially if it's going to rain.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I get the same thing. They are the same ones who cower under the awning in front of the building waiting for the rain to stop so they can get to their cars as I walk out in my rain gear and get on my bike.
2003 Ford Focus SVT

Sir Not Appearing screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 07:28 AM
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #88
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
10 of us here. I ride to work each day on alternate bikes. Im the only one riding. Only one other rides here. He has a bike but no licence, but he commutes in a cage. he just had a kid and wants to sell the bike.

So I guess Im the only licensced rider
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #89
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
About 300 total persons in our building at any given moment during 1st shift. I'm not sure how many are just purely weekend warriors, but there are usually 5 besides myself that'll commute when the weather is fair and warm. I know there's a Honda Shadow, a 'busa, and a ZX-14 that are the three most common, sometimes a Harley or two mixed in. Another 5 to 10 Harleys will start showing up after spring when the bulk of the rainy days have passed and the temps are consistently above 78F. Everyone should be licensed as we have to have a sticker to get in the gate, which necessitates showing the provider your Class M and your MSF card (yep, gotta pass an MSF class to get past the gate).

I've never noticed anyone else besides myself ride when it's raining or rain is forecasted. Likewise, I've never seen anyone else ride when the high's are scheduled to be below the middle 70's, let alone in winter. I've put in plenty of sub-freezing rides, and working 3rd shift I commute during the two coldest parts of the day. Though I do admit I don't ride if snow or ice is still on the roads since I only have street bikes with street tires; but if the roads aren't frozen I'm riding. Most people now know me as the kootz that rides year round, so the various raining/snowing/cold comments have tapered off. I also think I'm the only rider who even owns dedicated riding pants and armor.

Normally I ride in on my CBR250, and once in a while on my Multistrada (which I'm probably going to sell, never did really mesh with it). I just got a Ninja 1000 which I'm loving, so that's been my daily driver. I take the car into work once in a blue moon just to make sure it still works or if I'm too ill/injured to ride. To contrast, my motorcycles have only required a battery charge once when I left the lights on. I've had the car on the tender at least once a month since I don't drive it enough to charge the battery. I really should sell it, but public transportation stops before my shift and rental car companies tend not to be open around here at 11:30 pm.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #90
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Around 75 employees, 5 of whom are riders (including myself). Strangely enough there's more female ones than male shame they're all taken...
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote