Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
coolhandduke OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question seattle, wa to reno, nv route help!!

Me and a buddy are trying to plan a trip to reno this summer and can't seem to find good riding roads close to reno.
Here is the possible route as of now, but south of Ontario is straight and flat.
we may need to pick a new destination. Any suggestions for roads? we are trying to stay around 2000 miles round trip.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Re...&via=2,3,4&z=6
coolhandduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Down the coast to Eureka, across on 299 (awesome road), mebbe Lassen and on down to Tahoe.

Most of the route I see on your map looks like slab, I-90, I84 (snooze, been there), etc. Oh, and wind, you're gonna get a lot of wind on that route.

Thinking you can get a lot more creative on this route. Good Luck.

And from your profile, I see you are 27, not enough gray hair for Reno , go to South Lake Tahoe. Then run back and forth over the pass from North Lk Tahoe over to Virginia City.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go

243Win screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 11:13 PM
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Trayvessio
Super Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 113
Ride down to the coast to Fortuna or so, then head east. Or blast down I-5 from Seattle to Portland, and then pick up 101 for a while. Or head down the coast even farther and go through Napa. As posted above, there are lot's of options for a 2000 mile round trip from Seattle to Reno. I personally find Google Maps really helpful for figuring out routes - keep using it!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Hoologan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I see you're going through hells canyon. Great choice! Besides your eastern Oregon/Idaho section, I would personally take less highway.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,019
Hwy 95 is a bit of a drone, south of Boise, but the interstate to Reno is worse.

South from Mountain Home, ID is a much better ride. Thru Duck Valley and all the way to Eureka, NV. This is a scenic and more ambling road. Hills and valleys, sagebrush cattle lands.

West on hwy 50 is more interesting than the interstate, even if it is quite straight. Interesting towns and some elevation changes.

There is a truck route, south of Weiser, that bypasses a bunch of hwy 95 stop and go. hwy2 or 200, something like that. Use it to get to 78 east to Bruneau then south.

431 - 341 was a good ride, near Reno.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 97
From Ontario you can go west to crane then south through diamond valley cutoff (lava flow) then south to FrenchGlen and Fields, all very low traffic twisty backroads, then either out to winnemucca, or over to Cedarville and down to Gerlach, south to nixon and there is a back paved road West out of there that brings you right in at the Nugget in Sparks.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
I agree with Letitroll. Nicer way to get to Reno from Southeast Oregon is south of Burns down through the Steens Mtns on 205 through Frenchglen and Fields and cutting west on 140 at Denio over to Adel and south on twentymile road (county 3 14) and left at Coleman Valley Rd which turns into County Rd 34 when it crosses into Nevada and passes through Gerlach and the Black Rock Desert (home of Burning Man festival) and takes you down to Sparks/Reno. Beautiful remote area of the country. Only gas will be at Denio, Adel and Gerlach through that area.

Best,
John Downs
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
The river canyon road from Ellensburg to Selah is nice if you havent ridden it before.....Also a great mirco brewery in Enterprise Or... Terminal Gravity, it is worth a look.
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
cycletlh
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 120
What are you riding? How many days?

We have done this before and will be riding to Reno again this summer. With out answers to your questions I am going to suggest from Seattle that you take the back way around Mt. Ranier and St. Helens to Stevenson. Then around Mt. Hood to Bend, Klamath Falls, Lava Beds, Lassen Volcanic Park, and 89 to just before Truckee and east to Reno. Area N. and S. of K Falls is a bit boring but the rest is good.

For the return cut over to the 101 and bring the coast up to Crescent City, 199 to Grants Pass, SE a short distance on I-5 to 234 to 62 Crater Lake Hwy to Crater Lake. There was a nice place to stay in Shady Cove. Choose your own route from there.

Plug that into Mapquest and see what you get then let us know.
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
coolhandduke OP
n00b

thank you all for the suggestions.
I will be riding a yamaha fz1 and my buddy will be on a triumph sprint. We decided to take out hells canyon because it is a little out of the way.
Here is the current plan for one way:
http://goo.gl/maps/ElPe

and the other way:
http://goo.gl/maps/TAKh

The second route will take less time so we can blast back if we start to run out of time.

Still open to suggestion.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Question

As I recall, FS25 out of Randle is dirt. Mebbe more fun than you were looking for on a FZ1 and a Sprint?

10 State Trip 2010
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,749
Highway 89 in California is a good choice it's one of my favorite routes going north or south.

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
coolhandduke OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
As I recall, FS25 out of Randle is dirt. Mebbe more fun than you were looking for on a FZ1 and a Sprint?

I will have to double double check but i think it is paved. Were you on it recently?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandduke View Post
I will have to double double check but i think it is paved. Were you on it recently?
Looking on mapquest and google maps, looks like I got it confused with FS23. 25 does indeed look paved, my bad.

10 State Trip 2010
Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
looks like a great trip, please post up a RR when done! I hope to get to Mt St Helens this summer too!

Cheers!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote