ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
slump.

petefromberkeley screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 04:24 PM
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,121
Ok so it looks like I'll be arriving late on Memorial Day, by bike. Not bringing the dr200 at this point. I'll probably crash a hotel for a week while I nail down a place to rent, probably gonna target the nob hill area to be closer to work.

If anyone wants to get together once I'm there, I'm game!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,784
For the record, I'm just joshing ya'll, my first weekend here Nixels bought me pizza, so nyah.

I'm living in a temporary situation up in Marin while I await the big move of my wife and child, and I wouldn't recommend against Marin. I'm paying $600 a month for a no commitment rental room with full use of the whole house and half of a bathroom to myself. Pretty good deal, considering how expensive everyone told me Marin was. I couldn't tell you about the commute to the city from where I am, the Terra Linda area, but I can tell you the bus ride on the weekends is a five dollar bill and an hour of your life. There is no train up here, so that's out too.

If you were working in Marin, like I am, I'd highly recommend living up here for the same situation, but having to get to the city and back every day seems like it would be cost or time prohibitive. That being said, other than Nixels block, I haven't found a place yet where I wouldn't consider moving to.

-Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
SLOspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen View Post
Any advice on good areas for apartment renting? Thus far, I've heard good things about nob hill and mission. I'll be working in the financial district. Advice on short-term rentals... er, possibly with a dog? I'd probably just keep a bike (or two) out there, not sure what monthly parking type stuff looks like (aside from expensive compared to Milwaukee ).
As you'd expect, the desirability of an area is proportional to cost. My top choices for somewhere cool to live would be Jackson Square, North Beach, Hayes Valley, Lower Haight, Castro, Noe Valley. They're safe areas and close to public transit (easy to get downtown), but not necessarily cheap, either. As far as finding a garage in the city... It's gonna be tough. I love the city, but the reality is that it's not practical or cost effective for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
The city is a great place to live. I don't know much about the apt. situation at the moment, but if you are working right down town, and near a BART stop it's actually quicker to get there from the east bay than from some parts of the city- like the sunset. I do know the neighborhoods of the east bay pretty well and the particular area that you live in will effect your experience quite a bit. The bad areas are pretty bad and the good ones are well, much better . It's hard to differentiate them by looking at a map in another state.
Pete is right... It's surprisingly easy to get into the financial district from Oakland and Berkeley. I go to school at SFSU (by Lake Merced near Daly City), and commute in from North Oakland. Sometimes by BART and sometimes by moto. As far as neighborhoods in the Oakland area... Basically if you're north/northeast of the 580 you're good. If you're on a hill (characterized by curvy roads on a map), even better.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

iyeager, I figured as much. Giving you a hard time.

Thanks for the feedback, all. Definitely a lot to think about! Milwaukee has like 2.5 cool areas to live in, San Francisco/the bay area seems to have about a million...
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

What's the word on self storage within an hour of the city? I really would love to trailer both bikes out so I can ride on and off road but I figure it'll cost an arm and a leg to have 2 bikes, a car and a trailer within any reasonable distance of the bay area.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
I have no idea, but I'll bet it sucks. I'd ask around on BARF and see if somone will take a few bucks to share their garage for a few months. Somone will probably need the money and since it's temporary, I'll bet you score a garage that way. http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/

You could also put a "wanted" ad on Craigslist. Don't cost nuthin and it might work.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,446
I live in Oakland in the Dimond District, and I generally like it quite well.

Our neighborhood is really nice with some fine people, but we are right next to neighborhoods that are "not nice"... so we have a lot of urban headaches, like hearing gunshots a couple times a week, auto theft and burglary, dickheads with stereo systems in their cars that are so loud they set off every car alarm on the street, and hookers using the dead-end street around the corner from us to bang their clients, and leaving spent cock socks lying on the street. Nice, eh?

In the East Bay, the further uphill you live, the better off you are. In Oakland, you want to live uphill of MacArthur Blvd. Even people that live there would not voluntarily live in "the flats"(i.e. the low-lying, inland areas) in Oakland, but it is cheap. Jack London Square has had a lot of development, and has nice apartments that are very near to the ferry into the city.

We moved here 3 years ago, and subscribed to a bunch of "what to do in SF" threads. Here is a list to get you started reading. I have more, but they get repetitive.

San Francisco Local Tips?

Alameda Weekly Coffee Meet & Greet

Bay Area Dirt?

Bay Area Meet & Greet

San Fran Questions

SF Bay Area, CA Dealer/Service recommendations

Need advice: San Francisco Day ride

Places to see/stop from Middletown => San Francisco

Help with (mostly) dirt route through the Geographical Center of California...

tour of california questions...steer me through
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
SLOspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8teen View Post
What's the word on self storage within an hour of the city? I really would love to trailer both bikes out so I can ride on and off road but I figure it'll cost an arm and a leg to have 2 bikes, a car and a trailer within any reasonable distance of the bay area.
I should have room for a trailer and a bike or two at my place in N. Oakland. I don't think there's enough room for a car though, so it would probably have to go on the street, which can be a headache. It might be easiest to find a place for your car in SF so you could move it when there are parking restrictions.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
For riding and must see areas on a bike, Look on Google maps for any roads not yellow. Nor cal has some of the best riding in the country. From the bay you can go north up the coast and cross back and forth between hyway 1 and all the back roads. You can head east to the Sierra passes. A mid to large ADV bike is the perfect Machine for CA but a VFR should be fine.

BTW are you one of those EPIC kids moving to CA? That's pretty much the only people I have met moving to CA from WI.

Oh and I would hate to live in the city. Way to packed and cost arm/leg/ first born to live there.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

No but I did interview there once upon a time. I work for an investment firm and they have two offices in SF. I am going out there to help out with some things going on in that office.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Thats cool. You will enjoy the ADV riding out west if you don't mind 4-500 mile days.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #28
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent

Not at all. Have to go pretty far away from Milwaukee to get away from boring straight roads anyway.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet. Hope to see you out in the foot hills soon. Here is just a small taste of what Nor cal has to offer. This is my Ride for Saturday.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...50771,2.971802
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Number8teen OP
Uncompetent