Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
I've ridden the Umberatanna track 4 or 5 times but from the other direction on a Postie and the DRZ. I don't remember it being that rough at the Arkaroola end but it was good fun. Here's me telling Kym and Michelle who are 2 up on a VStrom "you'll be fine, it's easy". I thought of them when I hit the track but knew a man of Kym's skills would be OK.

Sorry if I lead anyone up the 'garden path', or should I say the 'rutted, rocky, shitty path'

And guess what? I get to ride it again in 2 weeks on the Postie pre run on the DR.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Arek Kontrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
I've ridden the Umberatanna track 4 or 5 times but from the other direction on a Postie and the DRZ. I don't remember it being that rough at the Arkaroola end but it was good fun. Here's me telling Kym and Michelle who are 2 up on a VStrom "you'll be fine, it's easy". I thought of them when I hit the track but knew a man of Kym's skills would be OK.

Sorry if I lead anyone up the 'garden path', or should I say the 'rutted, rocky, shitty path'

And guess what? I get to ride it again in 2 weeks on the Postie pre run on the DR.

Check out the action from 'garden path' at 2.19

I live more in 5 minutes on my motorcycle than some people live in a lifetime...
Arek Kontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,527

Quote:
..................Sorry if I lead anyone up the 'garden path', or should I say the 'rutted, rocky, shitty path'
Don't take it to heart kipo, we all allow for the real estate salesman in you

Not sure about the laughing smilie though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek Kontrol View Post
Great effort Arek, but I think you need to get a better camera, that footage doesn't do kipo's property descripton justice

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 08:54 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
crackin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Devastating to see the "parties" at Copley did not eventuate.
crackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
I somehow got ahead of Claude's group when they took a wrong turn on the Umberatanna track. So I was 'nigel no friends' riding along on my own having a ball. I got to Copley at about 3pm and didn't even go to the bakery. I figured if I kept moving I'd make Ango by beer o'clock and I wanted a beer more that I wanted a pie.

I know I am a disgrace to the MB / DRTrev bakery brigade and have broken the golden rule, my first 'adventure' type ride and I rode straight past a bakery. I will understand if I am kicked out of the gang.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
I somehow got ahead of Claude's group when they took a wrong turn on the Umberatanna track. So I was 'nigel no friends' riding along on my own having a ball. I got to Copley at about 3pm and didn't even go to the bakery. I figured if I kept moving I'd make Ango by beer o'clock and I wanted a beer more that I wanted a pie.

I know I am a disgrace to the MB / DRTrev bakery brigade and have broken the golden rule, my first 'adventure' type ride and I rode straight past a bakery. I will understand if I am kicked out of the gang.
It always the youngsters that don't respect the rules.

Is there a shame & name or was that a name & shame file Trev?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #22
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer View Post

It always the youngsters that don't respect the rules.

Is there a shame & name or was that a name & shame file Trev?

Traditionally it's a name and shame file, but in Kipo's case, just leave him to it - he'll do it all himself!!

I'm heading out for a bakery....er....bike ride next Tuesday MB, interested? Gawler to the Murray River and back. Opportunities for even more than one official bakery stop.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #23
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

While we were rolling over kipo's "rock country" north of Arkaroola, SantaTrev & his little helpers had obviously done their own bakery run ................. well not our usual one that is

and then the festivities began

The attention to detail was amazing ........................ even got the Flinders Ranges included too.

As everyone settled into the fun

I felt a ghost of the Nuccaleena mine was amongst us

Village Dave tried to talk Trev into swapping places for next year ........ but that was wishful thinking on his part

Several months ago one of the DBW crew was bragging about his "Botanical Rides" & some more devious than others amongst the ranks thought they would put him "straight" and sent him this letter

Followed by this one, as tensions increased

....and when the shit started flying, a third letter arrived ......

To calm the waters, Mary miraculously reserructed in time for presentation night and this is what followed .................

The presentation of a brake disc adorned with "endangered animals" topped the cake though

After realising the pressure Icebergstu was put under I thought it best to reconsider the next days ride route

As appreciation for all Trev's efforts to make the "Flinders Classic" what it is today, he was presented with his favourite red wine, a Basket Press Shiraz .................... which he immediately hid from eager taste buds

Donations of fabulous "home brewed beer" were made from Kevs69 & Domasora and everyone had a great time.

.... to be continued

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 05:04 AM
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #24
Concorde
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks Trev for another 'Classic' event...

...and thanks to everyone else that helped with the organising, BBQ, Beer, Stubby holders, firewood
and fund raising for Childhood Cancer.

I have loaded a short film on YouTube, link below...or just search 'Pibroch92'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4aY...1&feature=plcp

Kym, Michelle and I covered 1,800kms (best ride I've had in years)...'Tenere' and 'Strom' (+2) didn't miss a beat.

Also great to catch up with long lost friends of 30 years and meet many more of the Adv/Dirt Riding fraternity.

A 'Classic' Adventure...hope you enjoy the film.

Claude
Concorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post
I'm heading out for a bakery....er....bike ride next Tuesday MB, interested? Gawler to the Murray River and back. Opportunities for even more than one official bakery stop.
Unfortunately I'm out.

You'll soon realise retirement freetime is not cracked up to what you imagine ................ after the GFC every other bugga still has to work during the week.

The only guys free generally have destroyed too many brain cells by that stage & ride too slow

Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #26
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Staying over that extra day made for a relaxing cruise through the gorges to Wilpena.

We were cruising south on the black stuff to the Moralana Scenic Route to pay homage to the roo my TDM sent to heaven two years ago when KymW felt something like a fuel blockage reducing his speed. Wasn't long before it cleared itself, but when we stopped alloy was seen dripping onto the dirt

Until this point Kym was a nervous dirty front brake applicator, but by the end of the day ............. front brake ?............ rear brake ?.......... WTF who cares ............. it's all easy now so we continued on cruising into the Sacred Canyon for a looksee.

Haunted by the Disney movies of our youth, we kept a close eye on the strange looking trees

Heading back from the Aroona Homestead as the temperature rose, I suggested to KymW that my camera was ready as he came to the ford.

'How deep is it' he said ............................ 'who cares' I said .............. 'my camera is ready'.............. was my reply

Unfortunately speed & depth of water do have a consequence

The next day we headed home only to have a plune of smoke follow us

Quick thinking saved the use of the jack

Unfamiliar with riding home in a cage (well that has been my intention in the past, although not neccassarily the case) created a period of some boredom

Another fabulous meeting of like minded folk.

I really enjoyed your company guys, cya again soon.

Cheers

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 04:09 AM
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #28
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Great trip guys, hope to join you next year.