User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #61
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,737
Pura Vida!!

I have followed this thread since day and have thoroughly enjoyed every post photo and video. I really like how you incorporated photos and video into each report and how much better your video editing skills improved with each edition!
Well done!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #62
river-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Thank you for your CR ride report

I've been visiting CR since 83. You have seen some of the best of CR and shared with us, Thank You! I almost don't want to share this but, and feel free to disreguard, but that photo of the bus next to the basketball court in Puerta Viejo was the scene of a tourist robbery/murder 2 years ago. I was doing the same thing as the murdered tourist 2 weeks before the incident and felt completly safe. Drinking coffee on the beach that I bought at the stand by the bus stop about 7:30 am. The robber wanted the mans daypack. I was in Jaco when a Marine embasy guard was nearly beaten to death in the street outside a nightclub I've been in. I guess what I'm trying to say is use the buddy system and if robbed don't resist. Tourists have also been disappearing from Tamarindo.so again, use the buddy system. One last thing, gangs in San Jose have been flash mobbing tourists, small groups converge on the target using cell phones to cordinate the place. When I was younger and bulletproof and liked my rum with a little coke "no worries" When I take my family or friends there I explain the situation and have had NO problems. The Costa Rican people are great hosts and this in no way attempts to discourage anyone from a CR trip. This is just a "heads up" from a "has-been-there".
river-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #63
Maxxum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Just a comment on the last comment by River-Rider. I think the rule about being smart and staying in a group applies everywhere in the world. I don't think there is one North American City where this does not happen on a regular basis. Puerta Viejo on the Caribbean side was a bit more impoverished looking then the rest of the country and it is not a place where I would take my family too as my first choice but we saw lots of tourists and young people so just don't flash you dollars around and get wasted in a bar trying to hit on local girls and you will be fine.
Maxxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #64
quimexa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Agreed!!! My brother and I just went for a ride from Costa Rica to Antigua and everybody told us that it's dangerous, bla bla bla.... we always ride during the day, no monkey business on bars, always low profile.... that's the key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxum View Post
Just a comment on the last comment by River-Rider. I think the rule about being smart and staying in a group applies everywhere in the world. I don't think there is one North American City where this does not happen on a regular basis. Puerta Viejo on the Caribbean side was a bit more impoverished looking then the rest of the country and it is not a place where I would take my family too as my first choice but we saw lots of tourists and young people so just don't flash you dollars around and get wasted in a bar trying to hit on local girls and you will be fine.
quimexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #65
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by quimexa View Post
Agreed!!! My brother and I just went for a ride from Costa Rica to Antigua and everybody told us that it's dangerous, bla bla bla.... we always ride during the day, no monkey business on bars, always low profile.... that's the key!
We spent ten day driving all over CR and never had any problems..

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #66
GallopinTICO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Laugh

Just to made things clear San Isidro is my hometown and the 7 eleven you talking about is not, is just a 7 people always think it is, but is never open is like some kind of a joke or something i wonder how many Americans drive by and think the same if you look close to your pic will see just the 7 San Isidro people does not like it.
Great trip all you guys did, hope you enjoy my country as much as i do when there.