User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Zorro39 OP
Texan By Choice

Oddometer: 37
Scooter comparison

I have finally migrated to a new scooter for a variety of reasons. I passed on the Helix. I am now looking at a couple of new 2009 models. Any advice about which would be the better one. Both about the same price.
1. Kymco Super 8 150
2. Aprilla Sportcity 125

Just for going around town and some weekend back road adventures.

Thanks for advice and insight.

Zorro39 screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 07:19 PM
Zorro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
Both great scooters....

The Kymco is a Chinese-built (not Taiwan) Kymco bike, but still a good one, backed by a 2 year warranty since youre buying new.

The Kymco tends to have a brick for a seat, and in the case of the 150 Super, there are some "wings" on each side near the floorboard that make it akward (for me) to get my feet on and off like at stoplights and such. Have you sat on one? Thats my only nit to pick with it, but from a practical standpoint, depending on yer foot size and type of riding you intend to do, can be a PITA.

The Sportcity is a an amazing scooter, italian flair, and italian "charm"....if you know what that means (maintenance costs, parts, fewer dealers to service).

Add in half the warranty of the KYMCO (1 yr v. 2) and the business-side of things make a better case for the asian Kymco. That being said, to me, there's nothing like an italian scooter.....warts and all. They are dependable, fun to ride, and durable but they have "needs".

You can't go wrong with either, which floats yer boat?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Both good choices but chances are great you'll be wanting a 250 a few weeks after purchasing either of those. The extra 15-20mph and higher performance a 250 offers makes a huge difference in the capabilities of the Scooter.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Both good choices but chances are great you'll be wanting a 250 a few weeks after purchasing either of those. The extra 15-20mph and higher performance a 250 offers makes a huge difference in the capabilities of the Scooter.
Not neccessarily, depends. I've had both in my garage at the same time and frankly in town nothing beats a 125. In many cities, scooterists swear by 50cc's!

Less is (often) more....
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
E.R.Minman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
piaggio

have you considered the fly 150? love mine!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erminman View Post
have you considered the fly 150? love mine!
Good call.

I wonder how that stacks up pricewise with the recession-era 2009 bikes the OP is considering?

Although the Fly IS well priced.....
Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Not neccessarily, depends. I've had both in my garage at the same time and frankly in town nothing beats a 125. In many cities, scooterists swear by 50cc's!

Less is (often) more....
not trying to dogpile you, warney, but gogogordy nailed it pretty well.

i just traded a 400cc majesty for a Kymco Yager GT 200i (which is actually a 175) and couldn't be more pleased since the vast majority (98%+) of my riding is in town and the 175 handles it very well. i don't "do" interstate highways, but secondary roads limited to 55/60 speed limits aren't a problem for the Yager.
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635

A great deal of it depends on where you live , where I live any thing less than 250cc is suicidal .
Another thing you should consider is the weight of the scooter , the lighter the scooter the better
the chance you can get blown off the road . Also the more you can carry on your scooter , the more
you will use it . To many people buy motorcycles and scooters without a clue or plan , ask yourself
what you want the bike to do for you , and make damn sure it can before you buy it . For me personally
it’s about the luggage , in other words how much can I carry on it safely .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Talking

You could always consider the elegance of a vintage Vespa.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=1

Women will swoon at your feet.

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
I would go with the Kymco if it fit me. just because i think it would be simpler to work on and get parts for. and fairly inexpensive to own and operate. and there is a tuner community for it. it's punchy, too.

we all know of a very active user here who rides the heck out of a Super 8 and a Sport City 250. he likes them both. but the Sport City 125 isn't the same bike, really. its not a Sport City 250 with a smaller engine, and it looks average in comparison. imo in pics and in person it looks to be decidedly downmarket of it's bigger sibling.

i know nothing of its performance, however. or its handling or comfort. or the Super 8 for that matter. but i know a little about scooters and ride them, and ....darn it! ok, i am not crazy about the styling of the Super 8, either! but imo it looks less cheap then the SC 125. i just think the Super 8 is over styled a bit.

here is a SC 50. i link a 50 because THIS is the same scooter as the 125 but with a smaller engine. look up the 125 and its the same

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...tcityOne50.htm

now the much stouter looking SC 250

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...ityCube250.htm

and the Super 8

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...Super8-150.htm

i say get the Super 8 but that is an admittedly shallow pov
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
oh, and so far as engine size and all that? it's w/e you need. a 150 is plenty. and once the cc's start to climb many scooters lose the scooter in 'em :(

we scooterists have the Genuine Buddy 170i and Blur 220i. that is great. and some Kymco's, Syms, and a Vespa / Piaggio or two. a Zuma from Yamaha, nothing from Honda with small wheels and guts, and a maxi scoot from Suzuki

that leaves the Chinese :(

scooters are small and they have small engines. its a good thing. we urban riders? we don't need no stinkin' 250!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
As Dudeclone mentioned, there is someone on this forum with a Super 8 180 as well as a sport city 250 and that someone would be me

I have had the Super 8 for 17 months. I ride it almost every day, mostly short trips around town, and have nearly 6400 miles on it. I had a few minor problems with it but they were quickly taken care of under warrantee. If you want more info on how it works, check out my ride reports:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670468

Can't comment on the Sport City 125 but my 250 has been trouble free except a leaking fork seal that was covered under warrantee. I have had it for a year and have put nearly 8800 miles on it. I prefer the 150 around town but the 250 is more versatile and more capable of long trips.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Been discussed before...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549441
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is the internet. EVERYTHING'S been discussed before.
And will be again
Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
Zorro39 OP
Texan By Choice

Oddometer: 37
Thanks

Thanks for all the information. I think I have settled on the Kymco. It is simpler in most respects, has a kick start as well as electric, twice the warrenty and 50 ccs more. I guess the Aprilla 125 is not moving as well and that is the reason the price was close to the Kymco.
I became interested in the Super 8 because of the ride reports of Klavitor. I have lived in middle Tennessee and western NC, so I was initially drawn to the ride repots for the journeys,but became facinated with machine.

I have been riding since 1959, every thing from a 37 Harley( as seen on Highway Patrol with Brodrick Crawford) to PC800 to a 1200 Sportster (felt like riding a pencil with a rocket). And everything in between. So I don't need power or speed at this point in my life, just something to run around on and an occasional ride in the country side to take pictures of cows and bluebonnets.

Thanks again for the input.

Z39

Zorro39 screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 02:32 PM
Zorro39 is offline   Reply With Quote