User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Simonpwood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Road Rash (Gory pics - NSFW)

A friend of mine had an accident on his bike last week (he prefers not to be named).

He was travelling with a pillion passenger, doing maybe 140kmph, when a car decided to u-turn in front of him. He braked, clipped the rear of the car, low-sided and slid with the bike for 30 meters or so. Neither he or the passenger were wearing proper gear; although he was wearing some motocross pads on his legs.

The car left the scene immediately. Luckily a friend was coming behind him, and brought the pillion passenger to hospital. He was able to drive the bike to the hospital (was not that badly damaged).

Both had serious road rash all over their bodies. The pillion passengers ankle was grinded down to the bone, and required a tissue transplant to replace the lost flesh.

Neither of them had any broken bones or even any serious bruising. Had they been wearing proper gear they would have walked away unhurt.

Wear your gear people!

+++ EDITED +++ Links to pictures follow:

Warning! Gory! Don't click the links unless you are sure you want to see them! The original embedded pictures were removed due to the gore!

The kneepad:
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc6afdd99.jpg

Road rash on leg (rest of body was similar):
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps22527bac.jpg

Her ankle:
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdee21b66.jpg

Simonpwood screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 04:16 AM Reason: No gory pictures, please
Simonpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Simonpwood OP
Adventurer

Ok, just saw someone had a gory picture removed from their thread.

In the rules is states "No gore, near misses, no Youtube or other video links that aren't related to an ADVRider member or friend" which I have taken to mean that I can show that gory photo so long as it is related to an ADVrider or friend (they are the latter)? Or does it mean no gore at all?

Clarification please, and I'll remove it.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
mjc506
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
probably best off just linking to the pictures.

But then I shouldn't click on a thread that says 'Gory pictures' while I'm eating my lunch
mjc506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpwood View Post
A friend of mine had an accident on his bike last week (he prefers not to be named).

He was travelling with a pillion passenger, doing maybe 140kmph, when a car decided to u-turn in front of him. He braked, clipped the rear of the car, low-sided and slid with the bike for 30 meters or so. Neither he or the passenger were wearing proper gear; although he was wearing some motocross pads on his legs.

The car left the scene immediately. Luckily a friend was coming behind him, and brought the pillion passenger to hospital. He was able to drive the bike to the hospital (was not that badly damaged).

Both had serious road rash all over their bodies. The pillion passengers ankle was grinded down to the bone, and required a tissue transplant to replace the lost flesh.

Neither of them had any broken bones or even any serious bruising. Had they been wearing proper gear they would have walked away unhurt.

The pictures follow (gory):

Here is the motocross kneepad:

Here is some of the road rash on his leg (his arms were the same):

Here is her ankle:

Wear your gear people!
Thanks so much for your pictures. I hope you both heal. But let me say, right now it gets darn humid in charleston, south carolina. I also ride with gear, all the time. Lately, I ride with a rider jacket, gloves, helmet. I left my rider pants at home, not anymore.

Your pictures, are a sobering reminder, wear the gear. Thank you.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,821
I live in Charleston SC as well. Pavement temps in the dead of summer will run between 140-160*F. (Yes, I have measured them with an infrared thermometer myself) :)

If it is too hot to ride ATGATT, it is simply too hot to ride, and I take my truck.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpwood View Post
Ok, just saw someone had a gory picture removed from their thread.

In the rules is states "No gore, near misses, no Youtube or other video links that aren't related to an ADVRider member or friend" which I have taken to mean that I can show that gory photo so long as it is related to an ADVrider or friend (they are the latter)? Or does it mean no gore at all?

Clarification please, and I'll remove it.
Don't post gory pictures at all. You may post links to gory pictures, but be sure to state that they are NSFW.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
So where's the dang photos?
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 699
Bummer the photos got removed. Granted they were a little hard to look at, but it helped reinforce the need for good gear. Thanks for sharing.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #9
Simonpwood OP
Adventurer

I'll post the links to the photos, so you'll need to click them to see them.

Update: the ankle surgery went well, the girl was discharged, and she is now recovered well enough to walk around etc.

Photo Warning - they are grim.

The kneepad:
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc6afdd99.jpg

Road rash on leg (rest of body was similar):
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps22527bac.jpg

Her ankle:
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdee21b66.jpg
Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
SomeonesYesMan
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ouch
SomeonesYesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,821
Oh, man....that ankle :(
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 733
The passengers ankle is nice...UGH. I hope they heal well, and that their injuries weren't more serious. Sometimes it takes a wake up to wear the gear. I'm just happy my wake up was seeing the gear torn up not me and using my imagination.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 413
The incident occurred in Uganda? Were the roads paved or dirt? Are helmets required there?

I noticed your friend did not have as much rash on his knee under the knee pad. It seems to be commonplace for any level of gear to prevent the worst road rash, as long as it is better than jeans and t shirt.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
mcrider18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Road Rash <sic> ?

It seems the term road "rash" completely understates crash injuries. Having asphalt, concrete, gravel, etc. to aggressively wear and tear away flesh and tissue along with causing burn injuries doesn't result in a rash. I expect it seems trivial to a lot of us motorcyclists, but I think many riders (especially new ones) don't really appreciate what can happen to their bodies and those of their passengers.

ATGATT
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Simonpwood OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
The incident occurred in Uganda? Were the roads paved or dirt? Are helmets required there?

I noticed your friend did not have as much rash on his knee under the knee pad. It seems to be commonplace for any level of gear to prevent the worst road rash, as long as it is better than jeans and t shirt.
Yes, incident was in Uganda. The crash occurred on a paved section of road. Helmets are required, though not everyone wears them. He and the passenger were wearing helmets though.

Yes, the knee pads did absorb some of the damage ( you can see the pads have a lot of wear on them). However, these pads were simply velcroed around the outside of a regular pair of jeans.

I think that this is one of those cases where proper gear would have really worked ( in that the bike low sided and they simply grinded down the road). There were no broken bones or other injuries other than the road rash. A good pair of boots would most likely have saved the ankle; she was wearing tennis shoes.