User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
The Attempted Assassination of the MF'r from Cape Canaveral

Attempted Assassination Report -- 08-March-2015.

I have recently spent 49 long and challenging days in a Hospital and Rehabilitation center after the driver of a Honda Civic nearly assassinated me. Although he was unsuccessful in fucking killing me, he was however, completely successful in the total destruction of my 2015 Street Triple R that was purchased only 23 hours prior. The 49 day breakdown is as follows: 14 days I in the Hospital and the remaining 35 days I was a resident in a Rehabilitation Hospital. As I post this story I still have approximately 2 weeks remaining in which I am restricted to a wheelchair. I am not yet allowed to bear any weight on my Pelvis. I am presently at home during my final recovery phase to allow my Pelvis to sufficiently heal enough to bear weight and, yes, to walk/ride again.

5 Years and 185000 incident/crash free miles came to a very painful and extremely frightening end on that beautiful March afternoon.

Here is a brief history of my riding background before I go into my accident details: I rode dirt bikes as a teenager and dabbled only briefly in street bikes for about 2 years and then life changed and I stopped ridding in the mid 1980’s. Since then my kids have all grown up and are out of the house, I have an excellent job, I am single but the main catalyst in my motorcycle riding revival is that I quit drinking alcohol in 2010. It was highly recommended to me that I take up a Hobby in order to stay focused on sobriety. The perfect solution: Motorcycles!!! They would indeed become that hobby and it turned out to be a 100% successfully solution--I have remained completely straight for 5 years. The commencement of my new hobby came as I purchased a new 2009 Kawasaki Versys on 02-July-2010, and a totally new addiction has born!!! From that very first minute after pulling out of my neighborhood on that bike the minor amount of nervousness I was feeling due to my long riding hiatus quickly faded away and was replaced with an immensely overpowering sense that I knew that riding motorcycles was exactly what I will always love doing. I have owned several bikes since that Versys, but the one common denominator has remained the same with all of my bikes—I ride as much and often as my spare time will allow. Since 2010 I have completed several cross country trips, Florida to Maine, and so many trips from Florida to the Blue Ridge Mt region that I have lost count. At present I own a 2011 Triumph Speed Triple and a 2013 Ducati Multistrada.

Notwithstanding the fact that I have ridden 185000 miles, I do NOT consider myself a veteran rider--you never stop learning. However, I feel I have a very solid riding skill base and consider myself an excellent rider for my genre of riding.

On 07-March-2015 I added a new bike to my line up that I consider to be the perfect mid-size bike for around town, short day runs and to have something light and refreshing that was different from my liter bikes. I selected a 2015 Triumph Street Triple 675R – Matte Black. I simply love that Triple motor and as an owner of a Speed Triple, I knew I would have zero regrets with the Street. I finished up with the purchase transaction and left the dealership at 4pm, took the bike home and put about 50 miles on the clock to officially commence its break-in process before the sun went down.

On Sunday, 08-March-2015 my goal for the day was to set off on a 450 mile day ride in order to compete the initial break-in and perform the 500 miles service myself which is my common practice. It was a perfect riding day with ideal weather. Later in the afternoon I was making my way back to my place and decided that I would knock off the last 100 miles of the break-in on rural 2 lane county road that I frequent all the time. Often times I can travel the entire length of that road and not see another vehicle.

THE CRASH

At approximately 3pm I was traveling north and I came upon a slower moving car – an older Honda Civic. The driver, male around 26 years old, was alone in the car and doing just shy of 45mph thru a long gentle sweeper. The road straightened out and he continued to maintain his 45mph pace. I made my usual assessment of what this drivers unpredictability factor might be I decided I could execute a safe pass -– it was all clear from the opposite direction, I had a dashed yellow line and I checked my 6:00 which was all clear and started my pass. Dropped down to 4th gear, rolled on the throttle and as soon as I moved up immediately along the side of his car all things went to a world of shit. The driver stabbed his brakes hard, whereas I see the front end of the car diving sharply, and he abruptly turns left right into my path in order to attempt to pull down a small private farm road. In the very small amount of time that I realized that a crash was pending regardless of what I attempted to do, I did attempt to counter steer as hard as I could to try to achieve a glancing blow. Yet it was too little too late for that. I torpedoed his driver door at approximately an 45 degree angle. The most awful sound ever resulted, the sound of the metal on metal reshaping of my bike and his car as it was taking place real time—like a million fucking hammers all going to work. I then remember feeling the sensation of myself being held down--pressed hard to the hood of his car as if by a powerful magnet, but that was only momentarily. Then suddenly I felt myself roll across his hood and windshield and then my body helicoptering though the air like a rag doll. A very brief second or 2 of weightlessness ended with my body crash landing on the side of the road in grass. It is an absolute certainty that my body missing road surface and instead hitting the grass spared me further injuries I got as a result of the impact with his car. My best guess at the delta speed between my bike and his car during the actual collision was about 45 to 50mph.

Quick Side note regarding the gear I was wearing:
Bell Star Helmet, Cortech Mesh Jacket with liner and all armor, summer gloves with minimum armor. Hiking Boots—inadequate. Regular Jeans—inadequate.

I laid there on the side off the road on my belly for maybe 2 minutes but probably less, never once losing consciousness. I wiggled my fingers and toes, moved my legs and arms and there appeared to be no spinal issues in my own assessment. I somehow rolled over/onto my back and started looking around to get my bearings. Took me a minute to figure out where my bike ended up and for another minute I could not seem to get a bead on the car that just took me out was—I thought for a very brief moment that the fucker split! Nope, his car was way off to the side of the road sitting there eerily quiet. I was pretty dazed, but was aware of the time, the date, my name, the US president, what 2+2 was etc… In shock but I was still in extreme pain everywhere. However, my pelvic area was the worse and most of my whole right side body was throbbing because that was the side the made direct contact with the car. The only way to describe my Pelvic area pain was it felt like every organ in my lower abdomen had exploded and was about to pour out my ass. Suffice it to say, I was very concerned about internal injuries but I kept focusing on remaining as mellow as possible and not letting anything stress me out which only would make matters worse. I was almost able to convince myself at one point that maybe after a good through check-out the hospital I would be going home from the hospital that night! But as the minutes wore on I came to my senses and abandoned the notion that only minor injuries existed and there was no way I would be going home after a couple of Advil!

Finally, my would-be assassin emerged from his fucked up Honda and he came wandering over in my direction—it did take him some time to free himself from his car. My conclusion was since he did not have the slightest fucking clue I was behind him nor that I was in the process of passing him, that when I torpedoed his driver door and he was peppered with a million pieces of broken glass, that the event surely put the zap on his head. As for his injuries, I was told by one of my roadside helpers that he had a small gash over his eye. I have never followed up, even to this day, any information about him.

I am including this following information in an attempt to illustrate just how out of it this guy was and that he had no grasp of the entire severity and seriousness of the situation was. I could never reconcile just how detached he was with the reality of it all. And I don’t think it was the bump on his head—I think he blew a few fuses and was only operating in the less than 50% of his normal cognitive capacity range. These are the questions that he asked me as he approached me, as I was laying there in a heap, in this exact order, and in a tone that lacked any urgency or concern what so ever. It still fucking blows my mind to this day:
1) How fast were you going?
2) Are you OK? Are you hurt?
3) Should I call someone, should I call 911?

At that point other cars began arriving on scene. The reason (which I learned later) for his abrupt turn into my path was that he was heading to some sort of bible study group at some ranch house and he was unfamiliar with the area—hence the abrupt turn at the last minute when he realized he missed his turn. With all of the other people arriving they all actually proved to be very helpful in attempting to make me comfortable until medical help arrived. My cell phone was in my front left jeans pocket and somehow it was not destroyed. Always wanting to capture all of the my motorcycle adventures had the wherewithal to request that a bystander remove my phone from my pocket and take photo’s of the carnage. Sorry, no GoPro footage available but under the circumstances I think the photo’s suffice in capturing the seriousness of it all.

The fire/rescue team, in my estimate, arrived in about 15 to 20 minute after contact was established. In the mean time I took my helmet off. The others there assisted with my jacket and glove removal. I was certain that I did not strike my head because my ears were not ringing. However, my face shield was MIA and there were several areas of paint missing from the top of my helmet that were worn off down to the fiberglass base material. With the Fire/Rescue guys there the process of 2000 questions were asked and their assessment of me and my injuries went very fast. Getting me on the backboard was excruciatingly painful. They had already called for a Helicopter ahead of time based on the information being relayed to them while they were in-route, mainly because or the distance to the nearest Trauma center and the seriousness of my injuries. The helicopter was there within just minutes after the trucks arrived. In the interim, they did move me from the side of the road and placed me in the van so they could hook me up to more shit and get more data to try and stabilize me the best they could. They transferred me from the van to the helicopter and off I went to the nearest Trauma center. I actually have seen that helicopter bill, by the way, and it alone was a staggering $38000. Not $38 hundred—$38 thousand!!! Can that be correct?!?! Since I just got home about 10 days ago I am still getting a file together with the bazillion dollars in bills. I have full medical coverage and will touch on that a little bit later.

Injuries:

My major injury was an “Open Book Pelvic Fracture.” I am told from my Orthopedic Surgeon that my fracture was quite nasty on the nasty scale. I am not trying to be overly dramatic here but the mortality rate for this particular injury was said to be in the 50% range so I am beyond words that describe how fortunate I feel right now to be writing this crash report myself. They waited 2 days for my vitals to settle and for my swelling to go down a bit and finally operated on 10-March-2015. They implemented what is called an External Fixator, which remained on for 6 weeks and was removed on 21-Apr-2015. Because my Pelvis was so shattered the only thing they could do is stabilized the alignment of my hips/pelvic region and let then Pelvic bone material regenerate / grow back on its own. And that is what it is doing! I equate it to a 3D CMC printer slowly rebuilding my Pelvic structure layer by layer. I am still restricted to zero weight bearing until late May so I must continue to rely on a wheelchair for movement for now. But, I am able to do quite a lot and the busier I am the soreness lets itself be known.
THERE WERE NO INTERNAL ORGAN INJURIES DUE THIS CRASH– TRUE MIRICLE

I did blast some blood vessels in there and leaked out 2 pints of blood the first couple of hours which they replaced with some high octane stuff in the Trauma ER and I started feeling a little better.

Other injuries include:

Sorry boys and girls but this part is unpleasant. I smashed my balls and penis (full recovery expected – at least that is what the urologist tells me) when I struck the Pelvic region. I am pretty sure it was my junk that sheared off the left door mirror. I have pictures of my injured member but they will not be shared. My packaged remain totally swollen for weeks. I had to have a catheter from day one until today, 5/6/15. The swelling has finally subsided enough and it is an enormous relief to be free of it.

Soft tissue damage right side – Arm, Leg, Ankle. My Cortech Jacket elbow armor did a great job of leaving its signature on his windshield. That nice impact evidence on his windshield is my elbow impact and not my head. I one of the photos you can see that one of the By-standers provided me an Ice-pack which rendered some small relief to my elbow. Good news is all of that is healed up now I have no discernible evidence remaining.
The other noteworthy injury was a real bitch to deal with.

The crash also managed to cause significant freak-out of my bowel/colon. Smashing my lower intestinal region, taking the Pain Meds, being laid-up flat on my back all caused nothing but issues. Thankfully, again, that issue is all cleared up now since I got the Fixator removed and I was able to sit on a toilet but that one was a real bitch of the bunch.

Smaller issues involved pinched nerves in my lower back, which caused these “Stinger” type pains in my right thigh. Feels like a million needles poking and pulling the skin while being burned with a blowtorch. It too has improved and ultimately went away within 3 to 4 weeks with some drug called Neurontin.

Looking Forward:

Will the MF’r ride again? Yes. Once I get cleared from the Doc and feel strong enough to pick up the bike on my own I will be resuming many many miles of wearing out tires as fast as I can spoon them on.

Will I change how I normally ride? Yes – there is no such thing as too much awareness.

Will I change how I ride aggressively alone in the twisties? (i.e. Slow Down) Yes. But I will not elaborate exactly with change other than there is always room for riding improvements.

Will I gear up more than before? Yes

Am I pissed at my attempted assassin or at myself for this whole fucking mess? Hard answer. Very frustrated and sad that the entire thing happened and even though I am very happy I was not hurt worse--or killed--I cannot help but cringe over the fact that I was nearly killed by a driver not paying attention. And that is all I can really say. Every thing happens for a reason and the lessons to be learned here will revealed with time.

Another good fortune in all of this is, notwithstanding the woefully low minimum insurance coverage carried by the driver of the car and my woefully low minimum Under-Insured insurance coverage, I have great medical insurance. My out of pocket Co-Pays, deductibles, is only in the thousands dollars and not hundreds of thousands of dollars. And I also have short-term disability insurance at work so my monthly paycheck income is the same.

The bottom line is I am alive, I will be riding again soon, I have a tremendous family support and group of friends that have been amazing with helping getting my place wheelchair ready. My employer has been supportive throughout and my love for motorcycles remains unchanged.

And thank all of you for listening to my story

The MF’r from Cape Canaveral, Florida over and out

Pictures to follows below
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Bike and Car

IMG_5686
IMG_5687
IMG_5687 - Version 2
IMG_5689
IMG_5692
IMG_5693
IMG_5694
Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Rider and Fixator

IMG_5695
IMG_5697
IMG_5714
IMG_5717
IMG_5866
IMG_5867
IMG_5872
IMG_6016
IMG_6019
IMG_6020
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #4
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The X-Files

IMG_8459
IMG_8460
IMG_8461
IMG_8462
IMG_8463
IMG_8464
IMG_8465
Old 05-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Before the Destruction

IMG_5711
IMG_5663
IMG_5664
IMG_5668
IMG_5672
IMG_5677
IMG_5678
IMG_5682
IMG_5685
Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 AM   #6
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 480
Wow, I'm glad you made it. From the damage to the car it's hard to believe the angle of impact was only 45 degrees.

I've had a very similar accident with a driver turning unexpectedly left without indicating or breaking at about 45mph. Happily I walked away - actually, I rode away - without injury and little damage to the gear or bike as he hit me in the side. I knew I did everything right from my recollection and the testimony of a driving instructor who witnessed the accident by coincidence. So I thought long about how to reduce this risk in the future.
My solution was/is to make sure people notice you. People around here get offended when hearing a horn - but that's no reason not to use it. Depending on circumstances, my 'techniques' include e.g. revving the engine, high beam, horn, weaving - and ensuring that the bike (not just my head) is in other people's line of sight.

BTW, nice Triumph! The bike I crashed some 15 years ago is still my daily commuter, and I recently thought about replacing it with one just like yours ...

Anyway, speedy recovery to you!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:16 AM   #7
mjc506
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Holy Fucking Shit!

I'm glad you came out the other side of that! It sounds like you're well on the way to recovery, so I hope that continues for you.

Out of interest, did you see the turning before initiating your manoeuvre?
mjc506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
vtwinjunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
holy shit! glad your ok....I am sure both parties learned valuable lessons that day.
vtwinjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,735
Glad you made it through.
Rough injuries, the pain may not clear all the way up or cause problems sitting a bike, time will tell.
Riding a bike is hard on the back.

I do not pass much on my bikes, its very risky when there are places people can make a left turn. Some places you may not even be able to see a driveway or street.

Sounding the horn or making sure the driver knows you are there and passing is a good idea, new bikes are so quiet its easy to miss them.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc506 View Post
Holy Fucking Shit!

I'm glad you came out the other side of that! It sounds like you're well on the way to recovery, so I hope that continues for you.

Out of interest, did you see the turning before initiating your manoeuvre?

Just as I was even with him I saw his front end dive when he was breaking hard and the turn happen so fast the best way to describe it was a 4 feet or so of distance between my bike and his car vanished almost immediately. Like being in one of those junk yard car compactors that closed in .1 seconds. It was total instinct for me to try and counter-steer away as I saw the rapidly disappearing distance between us. My reflexes kicked in before my brain knew what my body was doing. So the answer is yes, I saw him starting to turn and I am certain that made all of the difference in then world.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 13,300
First off... I'm glad you're alive to tell the story!

Now, my question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
I am including this following information in an attempt to illustrate just how out of it this guy was and that he had no grasp of the entire severity and seriousness of the situation was. I could never reconcile just how detached he was with the reality of it all. And I don’t think it was the bump on his head—I think he blew a few fuses and was only operating in the less than 50% of his normal cognitive capacity range. These are the questions that he asked me as he approached me, as I was laying there in a heap, in this exact order, and in a tone that lacked any urgency or concern what so ever. It still fucking blows my mind to this day:
1) How fast were you going?
2) Are you OK? Are you hurt?
3) Should I call someone, should I call 911?
I read through your whole post, and I didn't see the words "police", "sobriety test", "cited", or "arrested."

Also missing from your account is the subject of insurance. Was the driver fully covered? Was he cited at fault?

It's nothing short of a miracle that you're alive. I'm not trying to gloss over that. But, in your story you refer to a momentary fear that the driver had fled the scene. I hope that he was legally held responsible to the greatest extent possible.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Ouch

Glad you were not hurt worse. Hope you have good insurance. Everything adds up and Insurance companies are not your freind, we needed a attorney to coax them to pay. Laurie had an open book from a turning car less than two years ago, in here aways back under "worst post of my life" She still does daily streching routines to keep the scar tissue moving. Hope healing is fast and easy.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 4,355
Whoa!

At a loss for words.

I wish you a speedy recovery, MF'er from Canaveral.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker

Oddometer: 2,935

"The universe is wider than our views of it." - Henry David Thoreau
Blue Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
mjfields_228 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
First off... I'm glad you're alive to tell the story!

Now, my question:

I read through your whole post, and I didn't see the words "police", "sobriety test", "cited", or "arrested."

Also missing from your account is the subject of insurance. Was the driver fully covered? Was he cited at fault?

It's nothing short of a miracle that you're alive. I'm not trying to gloss over that. But, in your story you refer to a momentary fear that the driver had fled the scene. I hope that he was legally held responsible to the greatest extent possible.

The kid had insurance but he carried the bare minimum allowed by law. My bike was fully paid off by his company. As for medical bills...... my bills will far exceed what he had on his policy and what "under-insured" motorist coverage I carry. That in nut shell means all of my medical bills will be paid for by my medical insurance company. All monies that are on the motorcycle/auto insurance policies that are recovered will be consumed. I will get no pain and suffering money.

Now for the salt in the wound part. The Florida Trooper cited me for unsafe passing which is totally erroneous. In Florida on rural highways I had the right of way. I have to got to court to fight my ticket and he will never be cited. I left those details out of the original post because its overly complicated and just causes me too much stress. I have a personal injury lawyer and he is doing everything he can to help but that part of the whole ordeal is a great big shit sandwich and I am the unlucky asshole who gets to eat it.

Florida is also a no fault state, what ever that means.

The kid has no money or assets. Suing him just is a waste of time. My victory in this whole deal is I am alive and the financial aspects are covered by other means.