Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Vapor_Trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Down The Long Haul Into history Back...

Well, maybe not all that long ago...

I didn't want to steal Rogziel's thread. So here's my last get-off that I referenced in his thread.

Thanksgiving Saturday, 2001. My Dad, My brothers and I were taking the scenic route to the March AFB Air Museum. Dad doesn't ride so he followed behind in his car. One brother was on my 1998 GSXR, other brother on his brand new 2002 R1. I was on my 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone.

We exited I-10 at Live Oak Cyn heading toward Mo' Val. On a blind right-hander that I was all too familiar with, I downshifted to second and set my entrance at about 30 MPH.

Next thing I know I'm on the low side sliding into the opposite shoulder. I was wearing a Shoei RF700, Aerostich Darien Light, Levi's (dumb), Olympia gloves and Tour Master boots.

The first body part to hit was my knee. Then my right foot was smashed and trapped under the bike. Then my right elbow. The back of my head hit, but so softly it only left a tiny little mark in the paint.

I had no idea what happened. I'm on my back looking around when I saw an old tennis shoe with a fresh tire mark on it. That's what I hit. Never saw it. I was looking "through the corner" like we're supposed to. Oops. I still have that old shoe on a shelf in the garage, BTW.

About this time a CHP came up the other way and obviously stopped. My brothers and dad were on scene within a minute, as well. Due to my brothers' professions the CHP did not take a report and left us to handle the incident on our own.

Dad transported me to the Emergency room in the back seat of his 1988 Buick Century. Fortunately, one of my bros had a disposable camera in his tank bag and snapped a few shots before they put me in the car.

My brothers then called the wives, who were scrap-booking, and had them bring a pickup truck and a ramp to the accident site. They loaded up my bike and brought it home for me. Nice guys! I fixed it from my wheel chair when the replacement parts came in two weeks later.

After a 30 minute wait in the Emergency Room I was directed to an examination room. Thanks to my choice of Levi's I was able to actually see my own kneecap. Not the skin covering the kneecap. That was gone. I saw the actual bone, or cartilage, or whatever it is... No camera there, though.

Scrub brushes, X-rays, pain killers, antibiotics, etc. followed and I was out of commission for over a month. It sucked.

I was 33 at the time and my foot has never quite healed.

The Chippie was kind enough to take off my boot. I should have left it on, though. My foot swelled up to the size of a grapefruit...

At this point I felt pretty good. It wasn't until the ride to the hospital that my foot starting hurting really bad. If you look carefully
at the GSXR passenger seat you can see my old Shoei RF200 that I bought new in 1991 to match my then brand new 1990 VFR750.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
JettPilot
Banned

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor_Trails View Post

The Chippie was kind enough to take off my boot. I should have left it on, though. My foot swelled up to the size of a grapefruit...
Are you crazy ??? That trooper did you a HUGE FAVOR taking that boot off before you foot swelled up. Had you left it, they would have done more damage trying to pry it off, or had to cut it off. Having It swell in the boot and not able to expand creates huge problems in itself.

This is pretty basic and common knowledge, I am just amazed you did not know this the day of the accident... 14 years afterwards, and you still don't know this, REALLY ?

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,753
Sounds like you need to go back to Motorcycle Crashing 101 and study Boot Removal. Just kidding. I don't think it's documented anywhere I've read, but I think the CHP did you a favor as it was best to get the boot off before they have to cut it off and I think it would've hurt more later.

Glad you're with us to tell the story.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Rogziel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Looks like your post on my thread sent you down memory lane. It's wild how many simple things out there can put us on our ass'. One experience I had was some, schmuck was stopped in the apex of a blind corner and I had to avoid him. I stayed calm and didn't touch my brakes and just went around. That was a more extreme example I know. That guy really pissed me off for being stopped there and not in a straight away. He was moving it on my way down. So he could have stopped in a straight away and not in a blind corner. I bring this up because a lot of people don't think how they will affect a motorcyclist. Whether it's throwing a shoe or any debris on a road especially in the canyons or stopping in blind corners. It would be nice if there was a little more time spent in dmv material on motorcycles like small debris can put us down or that we can't brake in corners. I have to agree with the other two as well about the boot, glad the chp got it off before it swelled up. I'm glad you generally came out ok. Sucks about the foot but at least you can still ride. Take care.
Rogziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Vapor_Trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Are you crazy ??? That trooper did you a HUGE FAVOR taking that boot off before you foot swelled up. Had you left it, they would have done more damage trying to pry it off, or had to cut it off. Having It swell in the boot and not able to expand creates huge problems in itself.

This is pretty basic and common knowledge, I am just amazed you did not know this the day of the accident... 14 years afterwards, and you still don't know this, REALLY ?

Mike
Woah! Slow your roll there, Mike. The Emergency Room Doctor himself told me the reason my foot hurt so bad on the ride to the hospital was because we took the boot off. He said the boot acts as a pressure/bandage/splint (or whatever he said) and it would have been better to leave the boot on until the foot could be treated. If the motorcycle community at large knows better, well, so be it. The sole of the right boot was bent beyond saving, anyway.

However, I promise to brush up on my “boot removal after crashing protocols.”

And as to your first question, Ya, maybe a little bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Sounds like you need to go back to Motorcycle Crashing 101 and study Boot Removal. Just kidding. I don't think it's documented anywhere I've read, but I think the CHP did you a favor as it was best to get the boot off before they have to cut it off and I think it would've hurt more later.

Glad you're with us to tell the story.

RZ Rob
Apparently I do need a crash course in, uh, crashing!

And yes, the CHP did me a huge favor by driving away. She could have gotten in trouble for that.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Vapor_Trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogziel View Post
Looks like your post on my thread sent you down memory lane. It's wild how many simple things out there can put us on our ass'. One experience I had was some, schmuck was stopped in the apex of a blind corner and I had to avoid him. I stayed calm and didn't touch my brakes and just went around. That was a more extreme example I know. That guy really pissed me off for being stopped there and not in a straight away. He was moving it on my way down. So he could have stopped in a straight away and not in a blind corner. I bring this up because a lot of people don't think how they will affect a motorcyclist. Whether it's throwing a shoe or any debris on a road especially in the canyons or stopping in blind corners. It would be nice if there was a little more time spent in dmv material on motorcycles like small debris can put us down or that we can't brake in corners. I have to agree with the other two as well about the boot, glad the chp got it off before it swelled up. I'm glad you generally came out ok. Sucks about the foot but at least you can still ride. Take care.
Yup, your post did remind me of that crash. I don't remember exactly what the Doc said, but it was something to the effect of the boot staying on until treatment keeps the bone(s) immobilized, swelling down due to pressure and something else. In any case, in my 31 years of street riding I've only been down twice. Both low speed and minimal injury. My foot still hurts after a long day on my feet. But, I can live with that.

Any closer to deciding on your next ride?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Rogziel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Yeah, I posted pics of my helmet on my thread as you requested too. I also mentioned my new potential ride. In talks with a guy about a 2013 zx6r 636 with abs. Interesting about the boot staying on I'd like to look into it. Glad your crash was minor. If only all of us could be so lucky.
Rogziel is offline   Reply With Quote