User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 651
swiped at low speed, lowside

had an off today when a driver lurched into my lane to dodge an errant bicyclist in lovely redmond, wa. he bumped my luggage and gave me a right-side lowside at 5-8 mph.

parts where i fucked up: i was riding too damn close to him. that's a failure of basic training: no space cushion. he got the ticket, but as we all know, that doesn't mean i didn't fuck up. bush league commuting behavior on my part -- i was spacing out a bit, thinking about work. i'm better than that.

frame slider ate most of the damage on my f800st. the usual minor lowside damage: broken turn signal, minor scuffs, bent brake lever. was able to ride it off the street and onto the curb no problem.

i got some sprained toes in my right foot and minor road rash where my jacket rode up. helmet, gloves, elbow plates, and ankle boots took all the damage -- the boots and coat are toast. helmet took all the damage on the visor (yikes). boots and elbow plates spared me any severe damage, according to the emt. ATTGATT PAYS DIVIDENDS.

anyway! once insurance completes, i'll post a few pics as warning. it was a good reality check, and as a daily city commuter, i cannot afford even a moment's lapse in judgment or an abdication of training.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Glad you're ok...lesson learned....all cages are driven by asshats, cyclists by numties..road rules don't apply.....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,207
Glad it was not worse.
It seems you have the right attitude, but I do not think I would do much city riding during rush hour, its very high risk.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

i've commuted for over 20k miles in rush hour, and it's a risk i accept. this is my first off, and i've (hopefully) leanred to NEVER let my guard down.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
i've commuted for over 20k miles in rush hour, and it's a risk i accept. this is my first off, and i've (hopefully) leanred to NEVER let my guard down.
To be fair, it's very difficult--if not downright impossible, given that we are imperfect humans--to live without error. Luckily, 99% of our daily fuckups are non-lethal learning experiences. I've always been of the opinion that if ALL NEW DRIVERS were required by law to ride a motorcycle for at least 1-2 years prior to being licensed as a car diver, there'd be metric shit-ton of alert, attentive, skilled drivers on the road…and a corresponding number complete dumbasses and incompetent boobs who remained unlicensed or more likely, dead….
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Glad the damage to your bike and yourself was limited.

Lane placement is a challenge- oil in the middle, possible threats from one side or the other or both, and then throw in all the other things- potholes, dead animals, gravel, trash and there isn't always a right answer.

Good that you're analyzing it, but don't beat yourself up- you clearly know what you're doing. I tend to not ride if I feel the least bit distracted, or if I didn't sleep well, etc.

Hope your bike is fixed like new soon.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
MrChuffy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
'ATTGATT PAYS DIVIDENDS.'

Oh ya!!! Ive been told Im just being overly paranoid, way over dressed and just not cool for gearing up. Well, when I start getting notices beforehand that Im going to crash on a certain day I think Ill just enjoy being not cool. Im really glad you came out mostly unscathed. I used to live in Bothell and commuted to Redmond everyday. Ive never lived in an area w/ such heavy traffic. That said Ive also never lived in a place where drivers were so generally courteous and willing to be patient.
MrChuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
SmithSwede
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Glad you and bike are ok!

Not picking on you--trying to be constructive.

I think the key question is why you didn't you see the bicyclist and anticipate the likely invasion of your lane? While drivers occassionally do truly random and unpredictable things, mostly when they do dangerous, stupid things there is a reason for it. Main focus should be to "read" these situations in advance and know what they are going to do before they even do it.

So the take away here probably isn't "shouda stayed farther away from car" but instead "I'm not ever going to be surprised again if bicyclist causes motorist to swerve into my lane. Seen that movie before."

I've got an F800S but no sliders. Interesting to head that yours worked.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,146
It scares the living chit out of me to be alongside a driver's left rear wheel.

I make it a point to be behind the rear bumper so if the driver veers left I am clear. If I am going past the driver's side, I quickly move forward out of the blind spot.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithSwede View Post

I think the key question is why you didn't you see the bicyclist and anticipate the likely invasion of your lane? While drivers occassionally do truly random and unpredictable things, mostly when they do dangerous, stupid things there is a reason for it. Main focus should be to "read" these situations in advance and know what they are going to do before they even do it.

So the take away here probably isn't "shouda stayed farther away from car" but instead "I'm not ever going to be surprised again if bicyclist causes motorist to swerve into my lane. Seen that movie before."

this is true. my attention level wasn't where it should have been.

sliders ate almost all of the damage. definitely a worthy investment!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 733
I'm glad you and the bike are mostly OK. But taking a face shield hit reminds me of a mishap I had [hijack on/] tumbling down the road at 65 mph and my flip up chin helmet flipped up. I remember being in the air mid flip thinking "ill never have a flip up again" as the chin bar slid up. Ill always wear a full shield from now on [hijack off/]. The full shield and chin bar is essential IMHO.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithSwede View Post

Good comments. Situational awareness coupled with a Spidey Sense.

And a good thread overall: Good report of the incident and a greta discussion.

Ride safe.

--Bill