SGBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #332
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Glad to hear your doing better.
Just wondering, if you could, would you get back on a bike?
I haven't sold any of my bikes. My goal is fully recovery. I want to work and I'd love to ride again. I figure it would all flow naturally. If I can walk and use my arm sufficiently well, I can go back to my chosen work. If I can do all those things, I would not chose to limit my transportation options in the future. Riding at work would not likely happen again.

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #333
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
I haven't sold any of my bikes. My goal is fully recovery. I want to work and I'd love to ride again. I figure it would all flow naturally. If I can walk and use my arm sufficiently well, I can go back to my chosen work. If I can do all those things, I would not chose to limit my transportation options in the future. Riding at work would not likely happen again.
Diesel, you are doing things right. I had a bad motorcycle accident back in 1972. The doctors told me that my body was too screwed up and that they didn't think I would be able to walk well again. I was active duty USMC and they tried to medically discharge me. I contested the discharge and worked hard. A little over a year after the accident I returned to full active duty. I didn't ride a street bike again for years after the accident because every time I would see a car approaching me from the side I would freak out. Continued riding off-road though. Finally when I was in my late 40's I returned to riding on the street . I am now 62 and still ride on the street although I can't ride the dirt anymore due to arthritis. Dreams can become reality given enough time, will power and luck.

DougFromKentucky screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 09:51 AM
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #334
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Good to hear! Keep up the hard work!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #335
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Saw this thread awhile back and cringed at your injuries. Glad you are improving.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #336
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, it's back into surgery tomorrow (Thursday) morning. The surgeon is going to try to center my thigh in the rings of the Ilisarov device, as currently, I'm jambed up against the lateral side of the device and the ring and hardware are threatening to cut into my thigh. Beyond that, the surgeon is quite happy with the lengthing/straightening/rotation aspects thus far.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #337
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Well, it's back into surgery tomorrow (Thursday) morning. The surgeon is going to try to center my thigh in the rings of the Ilisarov device, as currently, I'm jambed up against the lateral side of the device and the ring and hardware are threatening to cut into my thigh. Beyond that, the surgeon is quite happy with the lengthing/straightening/rotation aspects thus far.
Good luck to you, I hope everything is going well in surgery.

One step closer.........................
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #338
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, I had the surgery on the 15th of May and had to stay one night in the hospital. The surgery went well, and the surgeon told my wife right afterwards that he’s very pleased with how the leg is looking and with the bone growth thus far. They actually did remove one of the pins in my proximal femur, and open me up just a bit--I think I've got three or four stitches--but they wound up screwing a slightly longer pin into the exact same hole in my femur. In looking at the rig, it appears that the fixed ring was positioned more distal on my leg--about an inch and a half--which places it closer to the adjustment ring. Thus the adjustment rods are shorter and it changes all the mathematical computations for making the adjustments.

Thanks go out to all who have shared a thought or prayer or whatever along the way. All help is appreciated.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #339
automated1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Awesome! Great to hear.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #340
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
Good for you, I have a femoral implant and screw set, 16 years now, keep pushing yourself, work past the pain, I can walk painlessly, and am riding and did not sell my bikes, in fact they are therapy. Best of luck.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #341
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,530
All the best on your recovery. I have a few permanent titanium accessories to keep the airport security guessing but hardly notice them. Still have 1 bike with a second on the way as soon as I recover from my latest crash
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #342
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Dooode...you are a tough bastard! Keeep it up!!!!
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #343
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Heal up soon!!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #344
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 395
Glad you came through your latest surgery with no problems. You are still in my daily prayers Diesel. Keep on fighting the good fight. If you have a bad day, go out and see one of your bikes. I am speaking from personal experience. After my open heart surgery I couldn't ride for a long time but I did go out into the garage and visited my bikes. It made me feel better.

Doug from Kentucky
Old 05-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #345
diesel1959 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
Glad you came through your latest surgery with no problems. You are still in my daily prayers Diesel. Keep on fighting the good fight. If you have a bad day, go out and see one of your bikes. I am speaking from personal experience. After my open heart surgery I couldn't ride for a long time but I did go out into the garage and visited my bikes. It made me feel better.

Doug from Kentucky
You are quite right. Just this afternoon, I rolled out to the driveway and sat and admired the GL1800 and R1150GS sitting out there. I love those bikes and would really like to throw a leg over them again sometime. But just looking at them and . . . remembering . . . is pretty damn good therapy.