Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #46
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
A speedy and successful recovery to you, sir.

All the best to you for the rest of your life.

Are motor officers allowed to wear full face helmets?

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #47
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959 View Post
Suffice to say that the Texas Department of Public Safety disagrees with your conclusions. As I've already stated, I was not speeding at the time I ran off the road. I was going 55 in a 55 (as I have already explained in a previous post). The driver of the car was cited for Failing to Yield Right of Way and for Disregard of Emergency Equipment.

In exercising the out to the the right, I showed due regard for the safety of that driver and avoided a collision with him--despite his violations of the traffic law. The only unfortunate thing (for me) was that the ditch had an obstruction. Had I run off the road a bit further down the road, the ditch was actually clear for a half-mile; however, such was not my luck on that day. I did what I did to protect myself and everybody else out on the road that day. The fact that only I was injured is a testament to that fact.

I really don't have it out for you or anything, and I don't hate all cops so don't think I'm just some kid who hates all the popo

but I see you posted " I was running up through the gears (probably just hit fourth and was going about 55+)"

if you're in 4th and doing 55+ accelerating you're either not trying very hard (in low revs) or you were doing more than 55.

edit: again, I wish you all the best. I do apologize for being as big of a dick as I was earlier. With what you posted, it made it sound like you were speeding through a school zone. I just don't get how you can go through something like that and you don't think it's your fault in any way.

nwdub screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 11:12 AM
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #48
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post

Unfortunately, motor officers do not have many of the options the regular motorcyclist does. While you and I are limited to whatever our pocket book dictates, motor officers must also take into account the actual tactical situation they might encounter. So, while I may choose a full face helmet for the obvious safety it provides, he needs to balance between the safety it provides during a collision and the detriment it may cause in a tactical situation (i.e. being able to take it off quickly). While you and I may wear large armor and extremely confining outerwear, he must choose something that can not only provide protection, but, also something that he can fight in, run in, and enter a burning vehicle to pull out crash victims in. He also has the additional burden of wearing a ballistic vest, at least one handgun (that must be instantly accessible, a back up gun, that must be instantly accessible, a taser that must be instantly accessible, Pepper spray, baton, etc. The point is while you and I are gearing up strictly for crash protection as our only priority, he must weigh that against the many other harms that come his way.

God bless and god speed D
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #49
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
I really don't have it out for you or anything, and I don't hate all cops so don't think I'm just some kid who hates all the popo

but I see you posted " I was running up through the gears (probably just hit fourth and was going about 55+),"

D, don't waste anymore time with this child. If you read his priors he's here just to incite. He has no meaningful opinion and certainly no insight.

Migolito screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 05:19 PM
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #50
nwdub
Banned

Quote:

no. modular is a great new option though
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #51
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migolito View Post
D, don't waste anymore time with this child. If you read his priors he's here just to incite. He has no meaningful opinion and certainly no incite.
Another keyboard commando.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #52
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
no. modular is a great new option though
Yes, thank you, that's my mental picture, since that is what I wear.

I cringe whenever I see people wearing the traditional, open faced helmets. It's like seeing people riding in athletic shorts.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #53
nwdub
Banned

Quote:
Yes, thank you, that's my mental picture, since that is what I wear.

I cringe whenever I see people wearing the traditional, open faced helmets. It's like seeing people riding in athletic shorts.

You and me both...
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #54
Bobblehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #55
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,919
Fuckin A. I'm sorry to hear about all your pain. Hope you recover fully and are able to live a normal life.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #56
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jvj View Post

I don't think you have a future on the debate team ...

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:14 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #57
3jvj
N = N* fp ne fl fi f

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I don't think you have a future on the debate team ...

No, a past, but you don't warrant the effort.

The man had no out.

He chose to keep the damage to himself (rather than spread it around).
You should do the same with your "insight"..
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #58
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Lots of monday morning quarterbacks that know how to fix the worlds problems in this thread.

What I would have done in the split second to make any sort of potential life altering decision is yell, "Oh fuck" and then hoped for the best. I'm willing to bet most others would do the same. So cut the shit. The guy had a bad wreck and was severely injured. No matter how great of a rider you believe you are, mistakes still happen. Would you want someone slapping you in the face, saying you should have done this or that, in order to prevent what happened to you after it was over? I doubt it. Give it a rest already.

To the OP, get well soon bro.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #59
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
The level of skill that a cycle cop must posess is beyond yours and mine (former CCS racer), and if the OP said he did what he could, then it is exactly that. Go back to your armchair and continue to throw touchdowns in your mind.
+1
There's a good line from "The Right Stuff". "Sometimes you get a pooch that can't be screwed". The converse is true as well, "Sometimes you can't keep from screwing the pooch".
Reading a post and assuming that there was an out without an impact is obtuse.
Sometimes, there just isn't. However, I once got some sage advice.
Unless you're hit in the back of the head by a high angle of attack meteorite, you could probably have done something different.
Might something else have made a difference? Hard to tell, only the one involved can know. There are events with relatively high closing velocities where a decision needs to be made in much less than a second (perception/reaction time). However, only very simple decisions (brake, accel) can be made that quickly without regard to outcomes. There have been several studies that show that complex decisions involving a series of actions can take up to 3 seconds. 225 feet at 55mph. Moreover, different individuals make different decisions.

Not everyone runs up to, or even near, the redline before shifting BTW. Rule #11 or so of motorcycle accident investigation.

Diesel....get better!
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #60
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,256
Glad your coming back, thanks for your service! Watch the pain meds, they can get anyone!