Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #91
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Maybe this will help you.

Exactly !

Traffic cops sometimes park in a very conspicuous position and the result is that traffic slows
down as soon as the cop became visible to the drivers. And traffic remains at the slower speed
as long as the cop is there. We've all seen this, and it is by far the most effective way to keep
the speed of all traffic in an area at or even below the posted limit.

But while that might keep motorists from speeding it won't generate revenue like speeding tickets do.
So you know what the cop is going to do. That's right, he is going to hide so he can then zip out of his hiding spot
and nail you with a ticket. And then when he comes out of his hiding spot, surprise surprise, maybe other motorists might not
immediately grasp that he is on the road since he suddenly appeared out of nowhere. This doesn't do much to increase road safety,
not compared to just sitting out in the open so everyone slows down. But it does generate an amazing amount of cash over an eight hour
shift ( do the math ). It calls into question what is really going on though, doesn't it. I mean, a cop sitting in plain sight makes
everyone slow down and straighten up and fly right, but a cop giving speeding tickets only slows a few people down.
So you can choose from A or B, below.

A = Cop parked in a highly visible spot thereby increases motorist compliance with traffic laws
B = Cop makes lots of money giving a few people tickets while most of the rest of them continue speeding.

Now which serves public safety better ? B, of course. It might also be safer for everyone, the cop
included, because he can probably just sit there and talk on his cell phone and drink coffee and
not need to chase anyone. Except for the shortfall in revenue from fewer speeding tickets, it looks like a win-win to
me for sure.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 11:45 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #92
Bobblehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Exactly !

Traffic cops sometimes park in a very conspicuous position and the result is that traffic slows
down as soon as the cop became visible to the drivers. And traffic remains at the slower speed
as long as the cop is there. We've all seen this, and it is by far the most effective way to keep

But while that might keep motorists from speeding it won't generate revenue like speeding tickets do.
So you know what the cop is going to do. That's right, he is going to hide so he can then zip out of his hiding spot
and nail you with a ticket. And then when he comes out of his hiding spot, surprise surprise, maybe other motorists might not
immediately grasp that he is on the road since he suddenly appeared out of nowhere. This doesn't do much to increase road safety,
not compared to just sitting out in the open so everyone slows down. But it does generate an amazing amount of cash over an eight hour
shift ( do the math ). It calls into question what is really going on though, doesn't it. I mean, a cop sitting in plain sight makes
everyone slow down and straighten up and fly right, but a cop giving speeding tickets only slows a few people down.

A = Cop parked in a highly visible spot thereby increases motorist compliance with traffic laws
B = Cop makes lots of money giving a few people tickets while most of the rest of them continue speeding.

Now which serves public safety better ? B, of course. It might also be safer for everyone, the cop
included, because he can probably just sit there and talk on his cell phone and drink coffee and
not need to chase anyone. Except for the shortfall in revenue from fewer speeding tickets, it looks like a win-win to
me for sure.
I am going to assume you meant to select A.

I don't see where the OP said he was hiding behind a road sign looking to nab unsuspecting motorists. He might have been hidden, he might have been right out in the open. What he did say was that he clocked someone going 69 mph in a school zone, which seems to deserve a ticket.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #93
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Exactly !

me for sure.
Agree 100%

It's all about revenue.

Some places park dummy cars that drivers see and slow down.

Makes things much safer with no hot pursuits occuring which may injure or kill those involved or worse innocent bystanders .....

As someone said, mail him a warning or use the radio.

BTW, no offence to Diesel and hope he heals up fine.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #94
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
I have been in court, and in my small town, they have court once a week I think, and just paying attention to the fines from people pleading guilty to a lesser charge, I figure they make about two million dollars a year just off fines.
The average fine was around $250.00.

I have no problem with the police handing out tickets for speeding in school zones, but I once dodged an suv who pulled out in front of me by going over the double yellow and I was the one who got the ticket.

The pba gets no more money from me!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #95
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
If you guys are looking for someone to blame for speeding tickets and such, it's not the police you should go after. they're just pawns in this game. you need to look at insurance companies. they make money off your tickets just like the police. they are the ones who donate $$ and radar/laser guns to the highway patrol.

GEICO alone gives about $20 million a year in donations to state troopers for this.

speeding tickets having nothing to do with accident rates, etc. we all know this. it all has to do with revenue generation.

there i defended the police, how's that.
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #96
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
If you guys are looking for someone to blame for speeding tickets and such, it's not the police you should go after. they're just pawns in this game. you need to look at insurance companies. they make money off your tickets just like the police. they are the ones who donate $$ and radar/laser guns to the highway patrol.

GEICO alone gives about $20 million a year in donations to state troopers for this.

speeding tickets having nothing to do with accident rates, etc. we all know this. it all has to do with revenue generation.

there i defended the police, how's that.
I think your on to something goatman. Traffic enforcement is all a vast Insurance Company conspiracy. The police are just the unwitting agents of a bigger fraud. Opps, gotta go, the black helicopters are hovering...
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #97
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Well just because they get free radar guns doesn't mean they have to use them.

They like the $$ just fine
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #98
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
Well, around here, the police are supposed to make less then I do, yet they live in nicer houses, have 5 kids, wife does not work, new truck, new Harley, built in pool, etc. They ALL live like that...

Not far from me there is a state police person who lives in a huge new house, $750,000.00 or more, has a new corvette, a big boat, and parks his state police car in the driveway...

Like that CIA guy who was driving a $500,000.00 car on an $80,000.00 a year pay grade....

.......cut from another post...................... I guess its standard operating prociedure.....

Romulus cops are currently being investigated for corruption, besides being assholes. They've been running a speeding scam on Eureka Road for quite awhile. The court will allow you to plead to "Impeding" or some such thing that carries no points because it's a city ordinance. Of course, the fine is twice what the speed would have cost, but ALL the money goes to the city instead of having to share with Lansing. You probably could have done that to avoid points.

Unfortunately, it seems that the police, from the chief on down, are suspected of skimming off the police budget. The headquarters was the subject of a search warrant a short time ago.

NJ-Brett screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 06:49 AM
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #99
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Exactly !

me for sure.
I think public safety is served much more by the stealth approach, because anyone who speeds at any time must take into account the risk of being ticketed. The "scarecrow" approach will only work as long as the police car is on display, and then only at that location. At all other times, and everywhere else, everyone would know they can speed with impunity.

If you're don't want to pay the county its ticket revenue, just don't speed.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #100
FFLTR
nandesuka

Oddometer: 140
Hope you heal up quickly

Diesel hope you heal quickly.

Cops get tunnel vision just like everyone else, they are not any different. Running lights and siren gets a person amped up and you tend to focus on getting to your objective. I know I have done it responding to fire/EMS calls. I once responded an accident that involved a cop that blew through an intesection doing twice the speed limit and he had the red light, luckily he t-boned the other car at the rear passenger door. There was about 3 feet of intrusion and the lady in the front passenger seat would have been killed. The cop was responding to a "officer needs assistance" call and stated that he had lights on but couldn't get the siren working, the civilian was cited for not yielding to an emergency vehicle.

Going code 3 does not give you free reign, our rules state you may go 10 over the speed limit and proceed through red lights and stop signs if it can be done safely.

It seems weird to me that motor cops in Texas have to purchase their own bike and then get reimbursed by the department.

Hitting fourth gear on a 1200cc bike is not 55mph but I understand why a person would say they are only going the speed limit. If a person were to say they were going faster then it becomes their fault, therefore workers comp and the insurance company would not pay and that person is screwed.

Stating the obvious but motorcycles are hard to see, even with red flashing lights and a siren to give you more clues.
FFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #101
Calimari
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
All you guys saying that "shifting into 4th at 55 mph doesn't compute" don't know the RT. The OP never said he was shifting at redline. 55 MPH corresponds to about 4,700 rpm in 3rd and 3,700 rpm in 4th. The hexhead engine will pull hard without lugging at anything over 3,000 rpm. It's possible to do a very sharp acceleration up to about 90 mph without ever getting over 4,700 rpm, more than enough to chase down a speeder. Ride one and do a spirited, but not WOT, acceleration, and shifting at 4,700 rpm feels quite reasonable. It's a tractor motor, not a peaky thoroughbred.
Calimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #102
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Just a guess but if you're in hot pursuit to catch someone fleeing you're probably close to redline not just cruising and short shifting.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #103
Calimari
Studly Adventurer

If you read the OP, you'll find that he wasn't in hot pursuit chasing a fleeing suspect. He was accelerating from a stationary position to pull a car over to write a speeding ticket, so WOT acceleration and redline shifts were completely unwarranted.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #104
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

So he wasn't in hot pursuit ... but ... he was accelerating away from a full stop to catch someone who was speeding.

Sounds like the same thing to me.

How else will you catch up to someone who's speeding and you were stationary without accelerating strenuously??

I'm sure he wasn't planning on making this a week long adventure.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #105
Calimari
Studly Adventurer

WOT acceleration with redline shifts in traffic in a school zone all to write a speeding ticket? Not too prudent.

A moderate acceleration with short shifts will catch the car plenty fast enough, as already noted, and is a lot smarter. Sounds like that's what the OP was doing, as upsetting as that may be to the cop-haters and the know-it-alls.