Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Noob in SF Bay Area

Hey folks,

My brother and I are really interested in getting into trials. We're located in the San Fran bay area and are looking for any resources to get up to speed! I've read about Lewisport but its a bit of a drive for us and it seems they're not open weekends? Are there any other resources a bit closer to us that folks would recommend?

For a bit of background, neither of us have a lot of bike experience although we've been racing cars for years so are mechanically inclined. The current thinking is that we'll get a couple of cheap older bikes to get started. The goal would be to get to the point where we could do a novice trial and have a bit of fun! Any and all guidance is much appreciated!

P.S. Here's a pic of what we get up to at the race-track!

Ian
sweenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 340
Have you checked out Sacramento PITS?

http://www.sactopits.org/wp/

I know they are having a big event at Frank Raines Park this weekend. They are a great club who will help you get started.

There was a very good AHRMA vintage trial last weekend at Hollister. If you are interested in the older bikes, AHRMA has quite a few events close by.

http://66.84.0.143/~ahrmanwc/aMotocross.htm
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
scruffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Sweenrace,
Where are you in the bay area? I'm in Sausalito, at least I will be when I get back in a few weeks. I'm a trials noob also. I've got three bikes, but have not
competed in a trials event. It's on my list, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Maybe when I get back we can get together and you can try a trials bike out.
You should go check out the Frank Raines event.
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

@gvadney - ye, i saw there's an event this weekend. We're racing at Buttonwillow this weekend which is not too far from there. I was hoping I could skip out for a couple of hours to come check the trial out but the schedule is too tight :(

@scruffy - I'm in oakland and my brother is in SF. It would be great to meet and check out your bikes when you're back! Where do you go to ride them? Hollister and the Sactopits trials locations all seem a long way to go to just practice?

Ian
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 667
Here's some shots from the PITS event this weekend at Frank Raines.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drkayak...37690605/show/

My fist time out on real trails on a trials bike. Just riding the loop was harder than I expected but that was how the event was planned.

Great fun. May have to sell my KTMs now.

I say if you want to get into trials just get a bike and go for it. You have to watch craigslist for a long time to find a deal. Trials bikes are rare. If a 2000 or newer bike is listed at $2,000 or less it will be gone in hours.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Cool, that looks like a lot of fun! I'm not sure I'd be ready for that yet!

Any suggestions where a complete rookie could go in the SF Bay Area to practice the basics?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweenrace View Post

Any suggestions where a complete rookie could go in the SF Bay Area to practice the basics?
You might hook up with Matt --

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/942...ride-the-yard/
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 340
Quote:

You will be surprised what you can do with a well setup trials bike.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:

there is a thread about noobs, and what to do starting out in trials, that I started or at least posted a lot of info into, that should help you figure this out. the problem with "noob" in general, on this forum is, there are 300 types of noobs, some want a bike to have in the garage so they can say they have one, several types want to ride a DR600 that is modified to be more like a trials bike (I have no clue how you do that either). Then there are the ones that actually want to compete and accell at trials, IE the person that wants to take up trials as a sport, that is. That is who the posts are kind of aimed at.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561935 there are lots of things you can "learn" just in the driveway, luckily stock trials bikes in good shape are quiet, less noise than my lawnmower, so neighbors shouldnt be all upset.

There are more threads, that should have been stickied but the only thing we seem to be able to get from the MODERATORS is to be yelled at for posting wrong, in the the FORSALE THREADS...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I'm the kind of noob who wants to compete ultimately but who knows how long it will take to get me there :)

My goal is to get to the Sactopits event in early June which should be fun and I'm checking craigslist every day!

Ian
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm the kind of noob who wants to compete ultimately but who knows how long it will take to get me there :)

My goal is to get to the Sactopits event in early June which should be fun and I'm checking craigslist every day!

Ian
We're all going to help out where ever we can post up any help, to me it helps to get more information from YOU, which we already got more... so read those threads, and ask away, Im positive you will get answers, hopefully some will be there that will be usable, heheheee...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
scruffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Ian, I'm back in the bay area and I sent you a PM. Give me a call if you want to get together and check out some bikes.

Don

@scruffy - I'm in oakland and my brother is in SF. It would be great to meet and check out your bikes when you're back! Where do you go to ride them? Hollister and the Sactopits trials locations all seem a long way to go to just practice?

Ian[/QUOTE]
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote