Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
My gig was to bring a camera and at least one game a season I would take a ton of photos of each kid plus the coaches coaching. It's amazing how far a sumgmug print in a walmart frame will go to making a coach feel appreciated.
my wife does that
those are some of my fav.pics
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
onetravdown OP
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 895
.....and the Saga as a U10, soon to be U11, girls soccer coach continues.......

We just finished up tryouts for the upcoming fall U11 girls last week. According to most parents, their daughters are all soccer stars! So just in case you are watching the Olympics this summer and the U.S. women's team looks a bit small, that's because they're all 10 and 11 year old girls from NJ.

Holy crap what a nightmare. I just wish parents would understand that it's OK if your kid isn't the greatest soccer player and just let them play. It's about learning and having fun at this age. But some of them don't seem content until they suck all the fun right out of it.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,004
Doyleson plays baseball, AA, 2nd grade. He's not the best, not the worst, but certainly the most laid back and pragmatic on the team. They got demolished the other night. Something like 12 to 2 or so. Kids were throwing helmets, crying, kicking the fence, etc... Doyleson was unperturbed and I asked him how he felt about it. He said that he knew some kids on the other team and was happy for them to get the win.

At the next game, the kids were losing again and some were upset. One parent who constantly obsesses with the score and made some snarky comments to the (6th grader) umpire about a questionable call that didn't go our way, took it upon herself to go into the dugout and give the kids a talk about sportsmanship. Then she made a comment to me about teaching them about sportsmanship before she walked to the assistant coach to inquire about the score. It was all I could do not to roll my eyes at her. This is second grade rec league baseball. Not a single kid, no matter how much they shine against the other second graders will take this to the pro's. Perhaps one or two may play in college. Parents need to get over themselves and let the kids have fun.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #34
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Doyleson plays baseball, AA, 2nd grade. He's not the best, not the worst, but certainly the most laid back and pragmatic on the team. They got demolished the other night. Something like 12 to 2 or so. Kids were throwing helmets, crying, kicking the fence, etc... Doyleson was unperturbed and I asked him how he felt about it. He said that he knew some kids on the other team and was happy for them to get the win.

At the next game, the kids were losing again and some were upset. One parent who constantly obsesses with the score and made some snarky comments to the (6th grader) umpire about a questionable call that didn't go our way, took it upon herself to go into the dugout and give the kids a talk about sportsmanship. Then she made a comment to me about teaching them about sportsmanship before she walked to the assistant coach to inquire about the score. It was all I could do not to roll my eyes at her. This is second grade rec league baseball. Not a single kid, no matter how much they shine against the other second graders will take this to the pro's. Perhaps one or two may play in college. Parents need to get over themselves and let the kids have fun.
They just want ice cream after the game. Seriously. Parents suck big time.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
Some photos...

It could be any gym in America.

My second son is #4

He's now 6'1" however he decided not to play in High School, he's a shredding fool in his skateboard.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
They just want ice cream after the game. Seriously. Parents suck big time.
Truth. Post game snacks become the best part of the game. The sad thing is that my kid's team is doing OK, but they've had a few tough losses. I say tough because they are tough for the coaches and parents much more than the kids, but the reactions of those coaches and parent naturally trickle down to the kids.

Doyleson likes baseball but he's extremely laid back to the point that some may think he doesn't put an effort into it, but I know he does, it's just not a natural thing. He also has a tough time batting in that he strikes out more often than not. He's not upset about it, but in last night's game, the kids rallied at the end while trailing, in the bottom of the last inning, my son is up with two outs already on the books and I overhear a few comments regarding my son being the last out. It sucks for him and it sucks for me to hear it and it sucks when I see the parents of the kids not taking the chance to correct that shitty behavior, but it sucks more that the over competitiveness of it has sucked out the fun for my son.

It's second grade and my son's baseball enjoyment may be over, not for lack of trying, but because there is so much competition injected into 8 year old rec league baseball that if you struggle a bit, the pressure mounts and the fun dissipates. But yet, nothing is said about the coaches son who can catch now and then and can hit about half the time, but is more often than not, complaining about what position he plays and if in the outfield, is usually laying down, rolling in the grass. Or that most kids are judged against the one kid who has played in 4 different leagues for the previous 3 years and is light years ahead of the rest. My kid will go on to find something else he can become enthusiastic about, of that I am sure, but I suspect more than a few parents will come to learn disappointment when little johnny is cut from the middle school team and never makes it to the bigs, like they are hoping, expecting, and relentlessly driving them to.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Truth. Post game snacks become the best part of the game. The sad thing is that my kid's team is doing OK, but they've had a few tough losses. I say tough because they are tough for the coaches and parents much more than the kids, but the reactions of those coaches and parent naturally trickle down to the kids.

Doyleson likes baseball but he's extremely laid back to the point that some may think he doesn't put an effort into it, but I know he does, it's just not a natural thing. He also has a tough time batting in that he strikes out more often than not. He's not upset about it, but in last night's game, the kids rallied at the end while trailing, in the bottom of the last inning, my son is up with two outs already on the books and I overhear a few comments regarding my son being the last out. It sucks for him and it sucks for me to hear it and it sucks when I see the parents of the kids not taking the chance to correct that shitty behavior, but it sucks more that the over competitiveness of it has sucked out the fun for my son.

It's second grade and my son's baseball enjoyment may be over, not for lack of trying, but because there is so much competition injected into 8 year old rec league baseball that if you struggle a bit, the pressure mounts and the fun dissipates. But yet, nothing is said about the coaches son who can catch now and then and can hit about half the time, but is more often than not, complaining about what position he plays and if in the outfield, is usually laying down, rolling in the grass. Or that most kids are judged against the one kid who has played in 4 different leagues for the previous 3 years and is light years ahead of the rest. My kid will go on to find something else he can become enthusiastic about, of that I am sure, but I suspect more than a few parents will come to learn disappointment when little johnny is cut from the middle school team and never makes it to the bigs, like they are hoping, expecting, and relentlessly driving them to.
I feel for you and your son, Doyle. I'm sure he'll find something he really enjoys, as you said, but don't yet give up on the baseball. If he says he likes it, take a shot at finding a different coach or league (not sure that is possible in your area). With the proper mentors, any sport can be extremely fun for the kids and can teach them what being part of a team really means.

I've called out a couple of parents in the past over being shitty with their comments or attitudes, off to the side and away from the others though so as to not make a big deal of it. It's never amounted to much more than them thinking I'm a dick, but oh well. Maybe, if I'm lucky, they may eventually think a little bit. Maybe.

Coaches can take games way too seriously as well. Last night I asked my son's coach to pull a couple of our kids off the field because the game was very lop-sided, something like 7-0 at the half and our goalie hadn't faced a shot. He looked at me like I was nuts and a couple parents joined him with the baffled look. My son has been on the receiving end of those ass-kickings in the past and you can tell when the kids are not enjoying themselves, so why not give them a better chance to put a couple into the net? I was the only idiot at the game that saw it that way.

I did end up taking my kid out for a shake afterward. He played one of his best games yet. Ran his ass off in that game.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #38
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Last night I asked my son's coach to pull a couple of our kids off the field because the game was very lop-sided, something like 7-0 at the half and our goalie hadn't faced a shot.
Every kid on our team plays the exact same amount, win, lose or draw. I feel a little bad when we're up 10-2 at halftime, but i'm not going to pull one of my good players early. She worked hard in practice. Her parents got up on Saturday morning and piled in the car to watch her play. She gets to play her minutes.

As for parents being assholes, I have found that asking them to volunteer will normally shut them right up.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #39
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

As for parents being assholes, I have found that asking them to volunteer will normally shut them right up.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #40
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

After a full day of it, I am ready to put some in a burlap bag with some heavy rocks and visit the river!

Volunteer, what if they said yes? Yikes......

Doyleson must try lacrosse, way more fun and exciting for Doyle to watch.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #41
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Doyleson must try lacrosse, way more fun and exciting for Doyle to watch.
Lacrosse is THE sport to play in my town which means I am anti-lacrosse. If baseball is bad, lacrosse here must be unbearable.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Volunteer, what if they said yes? Yikes......
Ther's always that chance, but it's pretty unlikely. An actual volunteer has to show up on time, organize groups of children, plan exercises, and make decisions. Your typical whiner is not gonna be up for any of that.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #43
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Lacrosse is THE sport to play in my town which means I am anti-lacrosse. If baseball is bad, lacrosse here must be unbearable.

It would be way fun to pull up next to their 149k Range Rover on your bike, jump off, hawk a looggee inches from their vehicle, stare at them like they are a piece of crap on your shoe, and then have Doyleson go beat up on their pretty boy for an hour or so. Come back after the game and repeat. You might possibly like that.

"When did the Indians start playing lacrosse?"

Crooked Arrows, in a theater near you now. Check it out.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #44
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
Quote:
It would be way fun to pull up next to their 149k Range Rover on your bike, jump off, hawk a looggee inches from their vehicle, stare at them like they are a piece of crap on your shoe, and then have Doyleson go beat up on their pretty boy for an hour or so. Come back after the game and repeat. You might possibly like that.

"When did the Indians start playing lacrosse?"

Crooked Arrows, in a theater near you now. Check it out.
That was to some degree my approach when I played.

One of my JR High teachers thought I'd be good defense so he gave a big stick and put me in the crease. His first instructions were not how to scoop, cradle, catch or pass it was "if you can reach the ball with the stick, you can hit anyone else *with* the stick. Please make sure they're on our team."

Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #45
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Did he?

Did Doyle finally breakdown? Join the hysteria?

Potential link here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: