Oddometer: 4,502
Ok.....

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,569
I'm thinking if you're going it alone you should invest in a Spot locator beacon.....just in case. Like a GPS insurance policy.
Enjoy your ride. It's something I'd like to do one day but I don't think I ever will. So I read all those reports and do it vicariously. Cheers.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Exevious
Goatrider A.F.& A.M.

Oddometer: 830
Exevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exevious View Post
Yeah. What he said
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Ill be doing this next year, im already planning for it, good luck with it!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Have not read many reports on someone doing the whole trail lately. My go at it was way back in '99. So, I'm sure it's changed lots since then. But, I only did Arkansas, Ok, New Mex and Colorado back then. All solo and all but half of Arkansas on an '00 KLR which I bought in '99 when they first hit the dealers floor. Great memories.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
I think we might need some more popcorn here. Whose bringing the soda?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #23
megashred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
2 weeks out

So here we are two weeks away from checking out and it's starting to get real. The maps are done and the western section looks awesome. I'm glad I went through the entire trail from the birds eye view. It gave me a good idea of just how far out this trail goes. I made a few reroutes through Nevada and Colorado just in case I'm not feeling up to the challenge.....I guess we'll see. Since college is over, I've been on a strict diet of riding and chilling hard. Overall, I'm back on my game for riding and I feel pretty good on the bike.

My bike is an '07 650L with under 2k on it. Kind of a step up from the 150 I used to ride but I'm starting to get used to the additional 100 lbs. I made a set of rear racks for all my gear and put on the acerbis 5.8 tank for range. I also wired a usb charger for gps/phone/ipod in the tank bag to keep me powered up.

So the next step is to plan out campgrounds and hotels along the way to set up a general time frame for the trip. If anybody has any suggestions about this process I'm all ears. Also, I noticed the bike is burning a little oil. Theres never any smoke out the back but it definitely has burned a little off. I've heard it will run through it at high rpm and Ive been running it pretty hard but I kinda hoped I wouldnt see an oil issue. It's not enough to concern me but anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking of switching to 20W-50.

thanks for all the encouragement and I hope this ride turns out as epic as it looks. tread lightly bros....
megashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
mattysuehurricne
Adventure Fabricator

Oddometer: 74
Dont worry about the oil every thumper I have uses a little... Switching will help I lose less with rotella 15-40 than 10-40... Make sure your racks are sturdy for a beating with the weight of your gear too...
mattysuehurricne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
megashred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Day 1-3

Sup bros the TAT is going swimmingly and I'm cruisin hard all day everyday just the way it should be. After a few minor hickups, I left as planned and am posted up in the middle of Tennessee somewhere right now. Heres how I got here....

Day 1

I wanted to test the bike fully weighted before I took off Saturday morning but when your bros show up at your house with a case of coronas, you have no choice but to chill with them. Since thats what happened, final bike prep got postponed to the morning.

On saturday morning, I loaded up, said goodbye to the fam, and hopped on with the kickstand down. The stand instantly bent at a 45 degree and totally harshed my morning mellow. Whatever, I grabbed the mig and some half inch tubing and welded on a support right on the side of it. After that, I had to say goodbye twice...which is always awkward.... and I took off.

Not gonna lie, cruising to the Blueridge Parkway kinda sucked. I was totally cold (it was like 65 for some reason) and I had driven those roads to VT a lot. That all changed when I got to the Parkway though. That road is awesome. I got there and threw down a quick 150 miles cruising at 60 through the twists and turns the whole way.

I was really tempted to come to VT guys but it was kinda far out....forgive me somehow. Anyway, I had a campground picked out but decided to turn in about 30 miles early at another one. It seemed chill so I posted up. Started a fire with the jet boil, cooked some food, and fell asleep as the sun was setting.

Total mileage on the day: 345.1

Day 2

I have a strict no time rule on this trip. I don't turn on my phone unless I need to and I don't wear a watch. I take that back, I hit my crew up at camp so the phone is on...but seriously, time's a number bro. Anyway, the sun rose and I started packing the bike.

It had to be about 45 degrees. I was literally cold but having an awesome time with the road to myself. I didnt see a car for the first 40 miles. I recognized a familiar mountain in the distance pretty early on. Check out this spot Raleigh bros.

And next thing you know, I'm into the 4th state of the trip.

The North Carolina part of the Parkway blows VA away.

I grabbed a quick bite to eat by this lake and started doing pushups in front of this lake to warm up. I was still freezing but moving around definitely helped. This dad with his kids looked at my bike, looked at me running around and said "looks like you're on a trek young man." I told him about the trail and he looked at me like I was crazy. Don't judge bro, sometimes you just gotta do something crazy to make normal life seem...normal.

Around mid day, the parkway got real touristy and I could barely break 30. Harley bros were cruising so slow....sorry if I like to rip my shit bro.

Once I was getting low on gas, I dipped on the parkway and headed east towards the nearest valley. I was really regretting leaving the awesome scenery but I needed gas and I need to throw down some distance. I hooked up with 64 and cruised that. Awesome decision. It followed the river in the valley and had some of the best twists I've ever ridden. Then again, I had only ridden a total of 400 miles on the road prior to this trip. It was legit though. It went through really cool small towns, your kinda style Denise.

and even had this on the side of the road.

I took 64 forever and eventually turned right on 68 towards Tellico. The road was closed because of accident so this Jeeper bro and me rerouted using my gps, I got my first taste of the roads in the area. I asked the jeep guy if he was TAT'ing and he said what the fuck is that. (he had gas cans and bad ass bumpers) I said don't worry bro, keep it real...and off to Tellico's finest Hotel. The hotel of Tellico is actually classy. The guy was awesome and gave me some tips on the water crossings in the area. He definitely saved my ass but more on that tomorrow. I stayed in the hotel cuz I needed internet to work on my gps maps.

Total mileage: 465.3

Day 3:

I woke up early to the sound of rain. Shit really? I hate rain. I decided to wait an hour and see if stopped. Eventually it did and I saddled up. Finally on the trail. I love how the very first road is like a weed out course for the TAT. 5 water crossings in 6 miles, steep grade and terrible gravel. The water was legit deep...like 1.5-2 feet (probably because of the rain).

I managed to get through the first three without putting my foot down...good dry feet. But the 4th...that bastard. The guy at the hotel warned me that there are grooves in the rock for back in the day when the horse and buggies used to crawl through. He wasn't kidding, it was like 2 feet deep with slimy grooved rocks in the bottom. I had to put my foot down on that one...wet feet for the rest of the day...cool. That first road had me questioning the TAT and my ability to do it and have fun with it....but then it got better....

and better....

and finally, a little taste of bluebird. This was literally the TAT telling me to keep cruising bro
Out of the mountains...kinda

I stopped at one of the million Babtist churchs to loosen my chain. I tightened it when it was unloaded. Obviously when I put 250 lbs on it, its gonna tighten up. I was wondering if anyone would give me shit....but then I saw the sign. The preachers a bro....so I knew it'd be cool with that bro.

then I cruised some more and threw down some serious mileage. I cranked out 2 of my three Tennessee roll charts in under 7 hours...and I wasn't really rushing.

But when I noticed the sun going down, I decided I was happy with the days distance and started looking for campgrounds. The gps couldnt find anything closer than 20 miles while a hotel was only 3. I'd rather camp but I didnt want to go that far outta my way. and plus who could beat the friendly neighborhood vibe of this place?

I think I know where I'm going once I finish this post.....seriously I'm doing it. I'm gonna loose my strip club virginity at a trucker stop in Tennesse......by myself. Where are you bros?.....Na I'm gonna go to bed

Day 3 Total Mileage 277.6

But I've been thinking about why I'm doing this trip. I'm not running away from anything, I'm pretty happy where I am, I have friends...I think, and I'm not particularly adventurous. So what the hell am I doing riding a dirt bike 5000 miles off road across the U.S? To be honest? I just kinda felt like it. Like...why the hell wouldn't I do that. Ride a dirt bike everyday for a month? sounds epic. This is the only time in my life when I have no obligations, no timeframe, and literally nothing to worry about. I was getting too comfortable with working everyday for the rest of my life and wanted to push my limits a bit. So for now, I'm gonna shred on towards the pacific. If I make it...awesome.....If the bike takes a shit in the middle of Nevada, I'll find a way out....at least I tried right?

Tread lightly bros
megashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #26
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 496
Im in... Did the TAT myself in 2010. One of the best rides I've done. Good luck and be sure to take lots of pics .

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
Smitkev2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Did the TAT last summer, be carefully in TN on the shallow creek crossings. They are slippery.
Smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
Rwelch360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
wicked jealous

Nice dude! Count me in!! Have a safe trip!!
Rwelch360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,418
subscribed

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 33
Enjoy the ride.

"I told him about the trail and he looked at me like I was crazy." For very boring people with no imagination or sense of adventure it IS crazy.

The Boobie Bungalow. That place has been there for a long time. Been there once.... Don't make that your first strip club. Aim a little higher. I'm thinking about doing the TAT. Post lots. Appreciate the info. Have fun!