Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #31
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider
That is a seriously awesome wall cloud LR!. I spent some time on the TAT, solo, but it was only in the 90s..... The lone t-storm I encountered, in New Mexico where you ride up the butte and cross into Colorado, I managed to skirt with no time to spare. Lightening flashing and thunder booming as I rode into Branson. I stopped and watched it pass, just getting damp from the virga.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A smilie will do!

By the way, I'm sure a lightning bolt would fry more than my ABS. Then again, I HAVE been struck by lightning. It kind of sucks, and will blow out your cell phone as well!

Jim
+1. Nothing will give you a healthy respect for lightning like being struck by lightning. I find cover very quickly in a thunderstorm.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #33
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
The folks at Ural let me take their solo prototype for a "test" ride down to California. On my way back to Washington I got caught by a blizzard and rode in white out conditions for 65 miles from Chemult to Bend. There were wrecks and spin-outs every few miles and I got a lot of nasty looks from the cops, buy they let me continue.

The most amazing thing is 2 hours later in Washington it was 65 degrees, and I got caught in a dust storm so severe they closed the interstates and it made national news.

South of Chemult, the last time I would see the pavement for several hours.

I grabbed this image off a traffic cam while taking a coffee brake in Sunriver, not ideal riding conditions

Made it to Bend without incident.

Arctic storm to desert storm in a couple of hours, whats the chance of that?

Finally out of the storms, but the dust can be seen in the distance.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
OT--how was the Ural? Are they selling them yet?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
what stops me, not much
looks like a decent day for a ride to me
I remember those pics from the dark side thread. Awesome

I also have that same jacket. Mine is a BIT cleaner....for now
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #36
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
This and are all Ural's boxers? I never noticed before.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #37
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, they are built to order, think new /5 with much better handling and brakes.

Edit, I stand corrected, the solo sT is a standard model for 2012.

windmill screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 08:42 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #38
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
This and are all Ural's boxers? I never noticed before.
Yes, all Urals are boxers.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
think new /5 with
What does that mean in English?

Somebody kept parking a Ural with sidecar on my street for awhile, but I never saw the owner around when the bike was here and then it disappeared. Wanted to ask him about it. I see they've got the solo Ural on the website without much information other than basic specs.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #40
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
I remember those pics from the dark side thread. Awesome

I also have that same jacket. Mine is a BIT cleaner....for now
that ride I went out in the middle of Jan 11? blizzard last year, it gave me the confidence to go out in anything, a few weeks later we had a snow turned to sleet to freezing rain event that ended just a couple hours prior to the start of my annual StupidBowl Sunday Kanc Ride, that was a total 180 mile ride most of the roads were not cleared yet, some caked with ice 2" thick the fellow on the enduro bike was on rubber tires at least I run studs on the front of my Vee

later that season I rode my bike to a professional trade show at Center of NH, cool ride in morning, had my electrics, started raining during day, that evening I start my ride home in dark, cause I was parked in parking garage I was dry in getting going, it was rain g pretty hard, after dark, my vision isn't alway s the best in rain, I was mosly just following tail lights until I caught up with them it was easy enuf to see the vehicle instead of the black shineyness of the road blinding with glare, it wasn't for a couple miles on divided highway getting a little higher in elevation and turning direction more northeasterly thant I stared getting pelted with sleet, I thought to myself, I'm on a divided highway that usually has traffic at a 65-70 mph pace ok, maybe 60-65 at night in the rain, and I was only going 40-45 and I was catching up and passing cars, didn't seem that slippery to me. I had to stop, scrape the ice off my visor, re-aim the windscreen on my bike ( sure would be nice to have on the fly electric capabilities) and ride with my helmet visor partly open, there's a sweet spot, I can travel at speeds as low as 30 and all the precip is diverted away from my face by airflow. as I came further toward home, the sleet turned to snow, I got off the divided highway after 40 miles with 50 miles of 2 lane, my northbound side of the road wasn't plowed, the oncoming lane waa recently plowed, but snow was coming down at rate of 3"-4"/hour, I rode on wrong side of road most of way except when someone was coming, as I caught up with traffic, no safe way to overtake, I had to follow at safe distance and pace till they turned off another 15miles to go, approaching a sweeping s turn I see amber and blue lights flashing at a distance, yup there were a cop and a wrecker and along a ¼ mile stretch thru the curve, there were 6 cages off the road in the ditch as I motored on by prolly at a 35±mph pace, not far beyond than, my side of the road was more recently plowed, I was able to pick my pace up to 45 or so then the last my last mile home, do I take the gravel road that I know is not plowed, more twisty, but not as steep or doI take the paved road, straight, one steep hill 20% grad for a half mile that may or may not be plowed, and even more likely some idiot with front wheel drive stuck half way up tryng to back down and half cocked across the road, maybe half way in a ditch. I took the unploed twisty gravel road, 7" freshsnow on the ground when I pulled into my drive, took me about an hour 45 for a trip that usually takes an hour 15, not bad, on a motorcycle at night in what appeared to be bad travelling conditions for some, I thought is was relaxing.

I'm paying dearly for my crazyness, several hundred miles in similar conditions, and a few thousand more of normal every day winter corrosive exposure, evne with corrosion prevention measured, is making green suff on electrical connections, I've had charging system failures, sensor failures, now potentially the ECU, bike has been is shop 2 weeks, dealer is getting help from suzuki rep I can see this getting $$$$
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #41
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post

I'm paying dearly for my crazyness, several hundred miles in similar conditions, and a few thousand more of normal every day winter corrosive exposure, evne with corrosion prevention measured, is making green suff on electrical connections, I've had charging system failures, sensor failures, now potentially the ECU, bike has been is shop 2 weeks, dealer is getting help from suzuki rep I can see this getting $$$$
Kinda after the fact, but this is a popular subject with foilheads as winter riding is a Urals forte.

So far, 4 winters of daily riding I haven't had a single electrical problem, yes Urals do have the advantage being built in and for this type of environment, but there are things that help.
I have found using something like Bioshield or LPS 3 on all electrical components and connections, plus spraying the whole rig once or twice a month when dry with WD-40, and not washing it helps prevent corrosion. I will hose off the grit and grime once and a while, but let the WD-40 build up.

Given your willingness to ride in challenging weather conditions, I'm surprised you haven't given a 3rd wheel a try, it really takes winter riding to a whole new level.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #42
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What does that mean in English?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_/5_motorcycles
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #43
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
I don’t recall ever letting the weather dictate whether or not I ride. I suppose it did to some degree when I lived in Montana back in the 80’s.

That said I have never been even close to a tornado or a hurricane so I truly can not speak to what I would do there. My guess would be I would try to ride around the worst of it.

I have ridden through some real nasty weather in the Rockies and the Cascades (hail, sleet, snow, high winds…)

This song always come to mind when I am riding in Nasty weather.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #44
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Back when I did my MSF course at the end of April last year, the instructor said her limit for wind was about 35 MPH. Anything above that and she'd take the truck.

I'd planned on going decent distances on my bike since before I got my endorsement and I knew the weather wouldn't be calm, warm, and sunny. My solution was to go ride in every different type of weather I could and see what was what.

I started riding in early June of last year and it was really rather nice out. 80s and 90s with sun and light breezes at most made for a wonderful start to this experience on two wheels

Of course, that didn't last and in July I got a chance to go play some 45 to 50 MPH crosswinds! I was OK with those, but the weird air currents in places on Highway 95 managed to give me reverse gusts that got me to slow down just a bit. Oh yeah, the temperatures also went higher than a Grateful Dead concert too

Click this pic from July 23 of last year to see the mirage - it was HOT

I finally got a chance to ride in rain early in July as well. It was a true desert thunderstorm with rain coming down like a cow pissin' on a flat rock and I had a blast

By September, I figured it would be fun to take a ride to Prescott, AZ to visit my family. The trip down and the full day there were warm but nice by July in Las Vegas standards The trip back had wind, rain, and lightning - exactly what I'd hoped for to give the sky some texture and add some variety to the ride!

I don't have any really good pics from my trip to Anza, CA in November, but the temps in the mountain passes on my way out of town were in the 40's, I had no wind protection for my grips, and I was riding in dirt bike gloves. Yeah, it got a bit The real entertainment started somewhere near Apple Valley when I ran into gusting 50 to 60 MPH headwinds and I had to use full throttle in fourth gear to maintain 60 MPH on the I-15 Raceway. The fun only continued to get better when those headwinds became crosswinds in the Cajon Pass and the gusts reached up to 75 MPH according to the National Weather Service. The 18 wheelers spiced things up just a bit - not jalapeno mild, but not habanero hot - somewhere around serrano warm Part of the directions to my friend's place included "turn off the paved road" and I got to do a bit of dirt for the first time which was fun - especially when I hit the sand in that one corner

I've ridden in heat, cold, wind, and thunderstorms. So far I haven't had the chance to ride in snow, but that will change this winter after I've moved to Utah

I've been on my motorcycle for about a year now and I've found that I really like riding in the rain. Thunderstorms don't bother me unless the lightning is too close for comfort. Wind can be fun at times, annoying at others, but has never been bad enough that I'd have a problem navigating safely. Heat and cold can be an issue if I don't plan for them properly, but otherwise they're no problem.

I'm just hooked on riding. I don't much care what the weather's like for the most part and it looks like snow and ice might be the only conditions I don't want to go out in to have fun playing in traffic

I've come to the conclusion that one person's extreme weather is just another part of my good ride
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #45
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 836
Only weather I've let stop me from riding so far has been snow/ice. Don't get a whole lot of that where I live, though. I think there were only two days this winter that I decided to take the cage because of frozen slippery stuff.

Rain doesn't stop me at all. In fact, I rather enjoy riding in the rain. Get a bit of a kick out of the cross eyed looks people give me. That whole "what are you doing riding a motorcycle in THE RAIN?!" thing makes me chuckle.

When it comes to lightning, I believe I'd find some place to wait it out. No desire to find out what it's like to get zapped. Hurricanes and tornadoes would be a no-go as well .