Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #46
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
If I can step outside my front door...

...I ride!

Aside from a a short period (that seemed WAY too long) in my life where I was without a bike, I've been commuting in everything Pa. could throw at me for the past 28 yrs.
I've been caught in ice storms, blown around in remnants of hurricane gusts (80mph winds were the highest while having to cross open bridges ) and at the worst, trudged my DR650 into work and back (couldn't have gotten my emergency cage out of the 1/4 mile long driveway thanks to a landlord that wouldn't plow out) in snow that was almost a foot deep on the roads. What really made that trek horribly scarey, is the fact that Pa. doesn't get enough of the ice and white shit to warrant studs in the tires. (yep! did it studs free!)
Top speed was a whopping 25mph. (The commute was around 15 miles one way but seemed like 100. )

Needless to say, now that I'm getting older and know I wont heal as fast, I'm saving up for a Ural Patrol; not only for ice/snow travel but, so my girl can get in on the fun.
I'm looking forward to maybe, NEVER having to drive the cage again. (except for vet appointments as I wont risk my animals...my fiancee can make her own decisions in regards to her safety)

Ps. my favorite thing to do when I had the DR, was to go out during severe storms and cross flooded roadways. Many a cage would try to follow me through the deep water (obviously thinking that if a bike could do, so could they) only to get stuck.
Best part about the above, is my habbit of riding streams and rivers and marveling at their power @ flood stage.
As for lightening = Screw it. I've gotta die sometime and I figure that at least that should be relatively quick. (if it's NOT, please keep quite and don't ruin my fun)

rivercreep screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 04:04 AM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #47
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
[QUOTE=Lost Rider;18603832]

As impressive as this pic is, without your narration one does not get the full effect. I thought you did a great job of letting us ride along. Hope you don't mind.

"After marveling at this display of power I finally buttoned all up, tucked everything in, dried off my camera, checked that all my gear was extra secure, closed my face shield and twisted the throttle! There might have even been a few screams in their as I charged into the black wall at fast speeds. (it's a real shame I had no helmet cam for this part of the journey)
Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no proper description to the experience I had riding through this storm. My initial speeding blast into the storm turned into a 2nd gear slow pace that felt more like highway speeds.
When it hit me, it really hit with anger - sideways rain, large painful hail, lighting everywhere striking the ground around me, gusts of wind pushing me from one side of the trail to the other, sometimes off of it.... this was the real deal kind of place people get killed.
I guess if it's lighting at least it'll be fast.... and what a way to go!
Riding sideways while struggling to stay straight on gravel roads then double tracks, staying the course, I battled the storm going up and down hills for an eternity. Somewhere under the helmet with the click click Tick click click Tick from the hail and huge raindrops and hiding under the very focused and straining eyes there was a big smile.
This was frikin' cool.
Man and machine battling nature on it's turf. It was extremely loud, between the noise of things hitting my helmet to the intense thunder and relentless wind, by the time you add in my loud Beowulf exhaust it was a really nice symphony of noise.

I believe it to have been an eternity, but in reality about 25 minutes later, I popped right out the back of the black monster to almost sunny skies. Almost.
FU mother nature!

You didn't get me, this time.

An amazingly exciting ride, and a time I shall remember very clearly forever."

2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #48
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I use a KLR as my winter beater here in Newfoundland. Living on the eastern edge allows this because the North Atlantic keeps us at a moderate temperature. Damp for 9 months per year and cold and damp for the other 3 but it is year round riding. Iceberg hunting is a good ride.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #49
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
Back when I did my MSF course at the end of April last year, the instructor said her limit for wind was about 35 MPH. Anything above that and she'd take the truck.
Sure would be a lot of days here in Oklahoma where she took the truck... Out here, we don't get rid of "chicken strips" on corners, we burn 'em off by leaning into crosswinds!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #50
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Kinda after the fact, but this is a popular subject with foilheads as winter riding is a Urals forte.

So far, 4 winters of daily riding I haven't had a single electrical problem, yes Urals do have the advantage being built in and for this type of environment, but there are things that help.
I have found using something like Bioshield or LPS 3 on all electrical components and connections, plus spraying the whole rig once or twice a month when dry with WD-40, and not washing it helps prevent corrosion. I will hose off the grit and grime once and a while, but let the WD-40 build up.

Given your willingness to ride in challenging weather conditions, I'm surprised you haven't given a 3rd wheel a try, it really takes winter riding to a whole new level.
I've put dielectric grease in all the connections, sprayed with WD regularly, has not helped one bit, going to be trying ACF 50 next winter

I only see a sidehack as being a hinderance, especially in deeper snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrRieJK3aQ
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #51
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
that ride I went out in the middle of Jan 11? blizzard last year, it gave me the confidence to go out in anything, a few weeks later we had a snow turned to sleet to freezing rain event that ended just a couple hours prior to the start of my annual StupidBowl Sunday Kanc Ride, that was a total 180 mile ride most of the roads were not cleared yet, some caked with ice 2" thick the fellow on the enduro bike was on rubber tires at least I run studs on the front of my Vee

later that season I rode my bike to a professional trade show at Center of NH, cool ride in morning, had my electrics, started raining during day, that evening I start my ride home in dark, cause I was parked in parking garage I was dry in getting going, it was rain g pretty hard, after dark, my vision isn't alway s the best in rain, I was mosly just following tail lights until I caught up with them it was easy enuf to see the vehicle instead of the black shineyness of the road blinding with glare, it wasn't for a couple miles on divided highway getting a little higher in elevation and turning direction more northeasterly thant I stared getting pelted with sleet, I thought to myself, I'm on a divided highway that usually has traffic at a 65-70 mph pace ok, maybe 60-65 at night in the rain, and I was only going 40-45 and I was catching up and passing cars, didn't seem that slippery to me. I had to stop, scrape the ice off my visor, re-aim the windscreen on my bike ( sure would be nice to have on the fly electric capabilities) and ride with my helmet visor partly open, there's a sweet spot, I can travel at speeds as low as 30 and all the precip is diverted away from my face by airflow. as I came further toward home, the sleet turned to snow, I got off the divided highway after 40 miles with 50 miles of 2 lane, my northbound side of the road wasn't plowed, the oncoming lane waa recently plowed, but snow was coming down at rate of 3"-4"/hour, I rode on wrong side of road most of way except when someone was coming, as I caught up with traffic, no safe way to overtake, I had to follow at safe distance and pace till they turned off another 15miles to go, approaching a sweeping s turn I see amber and blue lights flashing at a distance, yup there were a cop and a wrecker and along a ¼ mile stretch thru the curve, there were 6 cages off the road in the ditch as I motored on by prolly at a 35±mph pace, not far beyond than, my side of the road was more recently plowed, I was able to pick my pace up to 45 or so then the last my last mile home, do I take the gravel road that I know is not plowed, more twisty, but not as steep or doI take the paved road, straight, one steep hill 20% grad for a half mile that may or may not be plowed, and even more likely some idiot with front wheel drive stuck half way up tryng to back down and half cocked across the road, maybe half way in a ditch. I took the unploed twisty gravel road, 7" freshsnow on the ground when I pulled into my drive, took me about an hour 45 for a trip that usually takes an hour 15, not bad, on a motorcycle at night in what appeared to be bad travelling conditions for some, I thought is was relaxing.

I'm paying dearly for my crazyness, several hundred miles in similar conditions, and a few thousand more of normal every day winter corrosive exposure, evne with corrosion prevention measured, is making green suff on electrical connections, I've had charging system failures, sensor failures, now potentially the ECU, bike has been is shop 2 weeks, dealer is getting help from suzuki rep I can see this getting $$$$
Very impressive

Sorry to hear about the electrical troubles though. That sucks. I would hate to be without my bike over something like that.

How much are those Ural's again?
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #52
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
I've put dielectric grease in all the connections, sprayed with WD regularly, has not helped one bit, going to be trying ACF 50 next winter

I only see a sidehack as being a hinderance, especially in deeper snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrRieJK3aQ
ACF 50 is good stuff, but you might want to check out LPS 3, it is thick and waxy like ACF 50 but stays softer and won't "glue" together your connectors. Since WD-40 didn't cut it, you should try CRC 6-56 marine, it works real good.

A sidehack a "hindrance", now thats just funny.
Sure street orientated rigs will have issues in deep snow, but rigs like a Ural, or KLR enduro rig will eat it up. A 2wd Ural will power through snow up to 14" deep.

The KLR's had to use the ditches to move on 15% - 20% grades.

The Urals just kept going.

A "hindrance" in deep snow? Not at all.

windmill screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 07:35 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #53
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
A sidehack a "hindrance", now thats just funny.
Sure street orientated rigs will have issues in deep snow, but rigs like a Ural, or KLR enduro rig will eat it up. A 2wd Ural will power through snow up to 14" deep.
hinderance meaning I don't need the extra wheel to keep my upright, just more drag unless I get the 2wd Ural, and based on my Ural test ride I did about 10 years ago, its not for me, fun to putter around on, on local gravel roads nothing I'd take on an Ironbutt ride

my goal in life is Deadhorse, AK in the winter
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #54
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #55
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

at the pond

99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #56
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
What ever tool you prefer, winter riding is fun. They have been building these things in Siberia for 70 years for a reason.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
The thing I don't like is black ice, and we get it all winter long around here. You just don't know where it will be. The road can be perfectly clear, the sun shining, and the next thing you know, in a car, you're doing a 180 or a 360. Has happened to me numerous times, so I don't ride in the winter as a rule. Some dip in the road, or some odd piece of shade can mean you go from 100% traction to zero traction in the blink of an eye. By they way, if you haven't been in hurricanes and tornadoes, they are not suitable for riding. Wind speeds can be such that you will be physically removed from the road surface and deposited elsewhere, no matter what your mad riding skilz are. Anybody see the footage recently of the tractor trailers flying around in the tornadoes out in Indiana I think?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #58
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

its official now, my V-strom has cancer, new wire harness minimum, + several sensors and ECU
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #59
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
its official now, my V-strom has cancer, new wire harness minimum, + several sensors and ECU
Ouch, sorry to hear.

Any way to prevent that in the future?

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #60
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
LR --

I've been caught twice -- once in a nor'easter, and once in a thunderstorm on the Plains at about 4:30 am. Not sure which scared me more -- the torrential rain and hurricane gusts pushing me into nearby cages (who thank goodness gave way) or the booms and bolts striking nearby as I was the tallest thing for miles. I suppose it was the bolts . . . I guess that would be more immediate and less forgiving.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote