ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
dasvis
Studly Adventurer
 
dasvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 531
Hell of a deal for the $$$. Just ordered, thanks for the head's up.
__________________
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 33
Bought!

A great deal. Couldnt pass that up. Thanks to Slacker for bringing this up.
Crash-n-Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off
 
fullmetalscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: BC
Oddometer: 2,476
So at what temp does this jacket get to hot to use dailly?
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." Charlie Chaplin
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off
 
fullmetalscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: BC
Oddometer: 2,476
Just got mine . The only thing wrong with it is the 3do armor isn't as wide as standard armor. Where in standard armor goes all the way around your ellow this stuff cover only 70% . I can see someone going down and cracking a bone from a hit that is indirect . my other beef with it is the fact that it's using these crappy velcrom pockets to hold the armor in place. The only way to replace the armor is to beg your wife to make pockets that fit it . Its a great jacket otherwise . Far better then the Joe Rocket it just replaced.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." Charlie Chaplin
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Just got mine . The only thing wrong with it is the 3do armor isn't as wide as standard armor. Where in standard armor goes all the way around your ellow this stuff cover only 70% . I can see someone going down and cracking a bone from a hit that is indirect . my other beef with it is the fact that it's using these crappy velcrom pockets to hold the armor in place. The only way to replace the armor is to beg your wife to make pockets that fit it . Its a great jacket otherwise . Far better then the Joe Rocket it just replaced.
The d3o armor covers exactly as much as the Knox armor the previous gen Rainier used (I had that first). FG likes to use the "B" shape protector in elbows and shoulders, iirc. It won't cover as much as BMW armor will, but that's the joy of custom molds and custom prices.

For me, the Rainier gets too hot at about 80 degrees, give or take. Depends entirely on type of riding. 90 or higher is fine if I'm really moving, it tends to suck in stop and go city traffic at 80-95, but so does everything else.

oh, and I'm not sure what other armor you'd be able to fit in it. Unless you size up, there isn't room in the arms for anything bigger, and probably not in the shoulders either.


Edit: I've got about 2 years on mine, used for everything but the worst of summer. Great jacket - mad I missed out on a silver one to replace mine. Holler if anyone has a silver medium in newish condition they decide they don't like :)
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
JR356
Beastly Adventurer
 
JR356's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Way out West
Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
The d3o armor covers exactly as much as the Knox armor the previous gen Rainier used (I had that first). FG likes to use the "B" shape protector in elbows and shoulders, iirc. It won't cover as much as BMW armor will, but that's the joy of custom molds and custom prices.

For me, the Rainier gets too hot at about 80 degrees, give or take. Depends entirely on type of riding. 90 or higher is fine if I'm really moving, it tends to suck in stop and go city traffic at 80-95, but so does everything else.

oh, and I'm not sure what other armor you'd be able to fit in it. Unless you size up, there isn't room in the arms for anything bigger, and probably not in the shoulders either.


Edit: I've got about 2 years on mine, used for everything but the worst of summer. Great jacket - mad I missed out on a silver one to replace mine. Holler if anyone has a silver medium in newish condition they decide they don't like :)
Motorcycle gear.com has medium silvers and a lot of other sizes,colors back in stock when I checked early this am.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #22
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off
 
fullmetalscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: BC
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
The d3o armor covers exactly as much as the Knox armor the previous gen Rainier used (I had that first). FG likes to use the "B" shape protector in elbows and shoulders, iirc. It won't cover as much as BMW armor will, but that's the joy of custom molds and custom prices.

For me, the Rainier gets too hot at about 80 degrees, give or take. Depends entirely on type of riding. 90 or higher is fine if I'm really moving, it tends to suck in stop and go city traffic at 80-95, but so does everything else.

oh, and I'm not sure what other armor you'd be able to fit in it. Unless you size up, there isn't room in the arms for anything bigger, and probably not in the shoulders either.


Edit: I've got about 2 years on mine, used for everything but the worst of summer. Great jacket - mad I missed out on a silver one to replace mine. Holler if anyone has a silver medium in newish condition they decide they don't like :)
I m talking about the Joe rocket armor in the balistic 10 jacket. It's bigger in the elbows on the sides then this . Same with the shoulder armor. It's 1.5 hands long compaired to 1 hands long. Indirect blow from the side are going to leave your elbow in 3do open to injury. I talk to first gear and they said the below to me when I said something about it. Also said other have talk about 3do here and I took them about the threads on this forum. Kind of a turn off in a way, being dismissed . Also kind of weird that they don't bother reading one of the biggest motorcycle forums onloine. Great jacket but I hold reservations about the armor soully based on the leaght and width compared to my other jacket.
Quote first gear: You're right, I haven't read those threads. I've only read the emails and seen the pictures of customer's bikes and other gear without d3o armor in it and seen how it has actually saved lives. I appreciate you sending this email so we know your opinion, it is always nice to hear feedback from our customers because it is how we learn to grow move forward as a business. Thanks
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." Charlie Chaplin
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #23
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I m talking about the Joe rocket armor in the balistic 10 jacket. It's bigger in the elbows on the sides then this . Same with the shoulder armor. It's 1.5 hands long compaired to 1 hands long. Indirect blow from the side are going to leave your elbow in 3do open to injury. I talk to first gear and they said the below to me when I said something about it. Also said other have talk about 3do here and I took them about the threads on this forum. Kind of a turn off in a way, being dismissed . Also kind of weird that they don't bother reading one of the biggest motorcycle forums onloine. Great jacket but I hold reservations about the armor soully based on the leaght and width compared to my other jacket.
Quote first gear: You're right, I haven't read those threads. I've only read the emails and seen the pictures of customer's bikes and other gear without d3o armor in it and seen how it has actually saved lives. I appreciate you sending this email so we know your opinion, it is always nice to hear feedback from our customers because it is how we learn to grow move forward as a business. Thanks
I don't think FG as they exist in America do much more than import jackets someone else designs. That is a shame, but the margins in motorcycle gear are pretty thin.

I've had excellent support from them, They replaced both the TPG jacket and pants because the lettering fell off - the lettering. They offered the replacement, I didn't ask for it. That's damn nice.

I hate the stiff, bulky turtleshell crap that Joe Rocket puts in their jackets. At least the Knox stuff bends with me. I chose the 2010 rainier specifically for the svelte armor. Its all a compromise.
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off
 
fullmetalscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: BC
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I don't think FG as they exist in America do much more than import jackets someone else designs. That is a shame, but the margins in motorcycle gear are pretty thin.

I've had excellent support from them, They replaced both the TPG jacket and pants because the lettering fell off - the lettering. They offered the replacement, I didn't ask for it. That's damn nice.

I hate the stiff, bulky turtleshell crap that Joe Rocket puts in their jackets. At least the Knox stuff bends with me. I chose the 2010 rainier specifically for the svelte armor. Its all a compromise.
Yep they are a great company. They just replace my ht 2 over pants with the latest model in a different size. Reg instead of tall. They could have just sewn up the old ones are return them to me but didn't . They even give you prepaid labels in the usa to ship stuff back to them. Not even Alpine star does that. I also agree that Joe rocket is bulky . Also the sewing on mine is't the best. TAlso doesn't breath worth carp when the rain proof liner is in it.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." Charlie Chaplin
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
zeeede
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 907
Topping this up because motorcyclegear.com just put all colors of this jacket on closeout for $232 shipped. Tall sizes also avavailable .

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

Not gonna lie, I bought one before posting.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off
 
fullmetalscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: BC
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I don't think FG as they exist in America do much more than import jackets someone else designs. That is a shame, but the margins in motorcycle gear are pretty thin.

I've had excellent support from them, They replaced both the TPG jacket and pants because the lettering fell off - the lettering. They offered the replacement, I didn't ask for it. That's damn nice.

I hate the stiff, bulky turtleshell crap that Joe Rocket puts in their jackets. At least the Knox stuff bends with me. I chose the 2010 rainier specifically for the svelte armor. Its all a compromise.
When it comes to support they are great just don't offer criticism or they go all defensive. They replaced my HT pants with HT 2 pants which are far better. They could have just sew them up etc. Better design all round. I aggee about Joe rocket Someone else bought it and soon they ll understand why it's crap on a hot day.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." Charlie Chaplin
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #27
FuzzyNugs
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Oddometer: 71
Got this a few months back and love it so far. It is a bit tight in the arms, but without the liner jacket it is a good fit. Only been in the rain once and it kept me dry. It ventilates surprisingly well and I just rode around in the desert today with it on. Must have been 90-100 degrees. Granted I was sweating a bit, but nothing I noticed until returning home. I went down in the gravel with it up in Big Bear last weekend and it doesn't have a scratch on it. The armor was superb and my elbow didn't feel a thing. I ordered the Teton at the same time and it's bulky armor was a no go. Order two sizes and send one back because it's only $9 to do so.

Next up is to get the matching pants when they go on sale!
FuzzyNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #28
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,071
I have a closeout Raineer jacket (first year model) and a 2011 TPG pant. They are the most waterproof gear I've had so that part is good. The venting is really good too since I ride my gear year around.

I have a few issues, though. The pant armor is not flexible enough and hits me wrong. I simply ride without the knee cups. I'd rather use off road knee cups. The jacket has a poor neck seal in that it is uncomfortable. Maybe the new jackets are improved. I think the neck seal should be a soft material you can wrap tight with a velcro strap like an enduro jacket.

The pants fit so poorly I use suspenders to hold them higher. I paid full price for them and they are flat ugly. But they are dry and vent so who cares...

Personally, I think the most practical jacket First Gear makes is Killimanjaro. Lots cheaper and just as dry.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #29
K7MDL
TE450, TE610
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Oddometer: 1,552
The Rainier is more of an athletic cut and the Kili is a more square cut for the more full figured american male :-).

The first year Rainier (pre 2010) has no pit zips. It can vent other ways well enough though. I wear mine in Seattle nearly every weekday commuting year round and also for Dual Sport riding in the PNW mountains and desert and Moab/Death Valley. Works great. For offroad I go lighter with KLIM gear. For 80+F dry weather I go with mesh gear. With a heated vest, the Rainier has been a solid purchase (got mine on closeout for $100, wife's 2009 Teton at $69). Just a fantastic value. Mine is red and has faded some, and I melted off the top 1/2" of zipper teeth in the throat area of the front zipper. I never use the rollup rainhood in the collar. I may have changed out (upgraded), cannot remember, probably the back pad. Hit the pavement (20ft slide) once, held up nice. Won't wear blulky clothes in the arms though, no room. I find the Motoport Stretch Kevlar pants to be a great commute/road tour combo with the Rainier jacket.

Bottom line, if you can snag a Rainier at closeoout, jump on it. Since it is athletic fit, sizing may run a tad small. I am a 40 chest and 34/35 arms and the large is perfect.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
zeeede
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 907
Well, I had my Rainier delivered on Friday and had a chance to ride in it this weekend. It's definitely the nicest jacket I've ever owned. There are more pockets than I know what to do with and every zipper is waterproof.

As far as sizing goes, I stand 6'4, 210 lbs, but I'm a cyclist, so I carry a lot of my weight in my legs. I usually wear size medium undershirts or size large T-shirts. I measured my chest at 42 inches, and wear size 33 or 34 inch waist. I've been wearing size XL-Tall jackets, but decided to size down to a L-Tall on the Rainier. Someone above mentioned the arms being tight... I agree with that, right at the top of the arm where the sleeve meets the jacket. I wish the diameter of the sleeve opening were just an inch bigger. I thought about exchanging the jacket for an XL-Tall, but I hate the way XL stuff tends to be so baggy around my midsection (I guess I just need to work on a beer gut?).

I wore the jacket in 90 degree humid New England summer weather riding yesterday, and the only time I sweated profusely is when we were trying to get our Vstrom down a horrible boulder-covered Class IV 4x4 trail that the GPS track I was following routed us down (the jeeps on 37" tires going up the trail the other direction were looking at us like we were crazy). Venting was adequate when we were moving. I was glad I got the silver color though. I couldn't imagine wearing an all-black jacket in that heat.

The inner liner is a nice jacket in-and-of itself. I would definitely wear the liner as a stand-alone jacket even in non-motorcycle circumstances. Would probably make a nice mid-layer skiing, for instance, or a casual jacket on the weekends.

A couple of other things that annoy me about the jacket:
- The collar does flap around a bit if you ride with it open
- The cuffs of the liner aren't adjustible, which makes it a bear to get my hands into and out of the jacket with the liner in it.

That's it though. All-in-all, definitely a good purchase for $230. Hopefully I won't have to try out the waterproofidness anytime soon, but I'll report back when I do.

zeeede screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 09:15 AM
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014