User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Sportster Adventure conversion

So, I was down in the basement this AM working on my current project (82 CB450) and began pondering about the idea of a Sportster for a conversion to a long legged touring all surfaces bike.
I've been tossing the idea around for a while, if I were to be honest.
Yesterday, I went to a local old bike parts shop a few blocks from my house and sat for about an hour eyeballing an older Sporty they had in the front for sale, and then meandered around looking at some old parts laying here and there.

I've never had a Harley, but plenty of Honda and BMW projects.

A quick glance at the specs of rake/trail, length, weight, etc are all fairly encouraging. I can build around the steel perimeter frame adding hard bags and a high pipe, give it longer legs, good suspension, and maybe build a larger fuel tank to hold 5 or 6 gallons of fuel, depending.

I'm convinced it shouldn't be so hard given that I can fabricate all the hard parts in the basement right down to the bags.

So, that's what I'm going to do. I'll sell off the CB450 and make room in the basement and see if I can get it done by spring or summer at the latest.
Should be fun.

Think I'll go dig up a frame or a crashed up bike and start from there.

A quick glance around teh intarwebz shows that I'm not the first guy to think of this. So, I'm not saying that I am.
I'm just saying this is my current project. And, it's a go.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
maxflhx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Go for it. Sounds like an awesome idea. I thought about the same thing but an honest inventory of my wrenching abilities led me to buy a Scrambler. I look forward to seeing your progress!
maxflhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Sweet! And yet another build thread to keep me in front of the computer and away from my own projects!

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
drdirty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Sounds interesting!
I have a '07 XL883 and a '07 DR650SE. I like them both.
I have racked up 9700 miles in two seasons on the DR and only 6100 on the Sportster. All day rides with a couple two day over-night rides.(demands of my employment makes it impossible to take alot of time off)

I am sorry, but I just can not see a Harley Davidson Sportster as a Adventure Motorcycle. It might be possible with someone with a whole lot better riding skills than I have, and an interesting project.

But I have to wonder, WHY?

And now back to my Miller Light!
drdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946

Please do a google or search here for:" XR1200" or "offroad harley".

Or await someone with less ADD than me to come post a bunch of links for you.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Kytann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
There have been quite a few good examples.
Looking forward to seeing the direction youy go with yours.

Assuming a start point of one of the older lighter solid mount sportys?
Kytann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,472
I have considered this project and may attempt it in the future, but one must do item is reinforcing the frame. Sporty frames flex like they are hinged, I know, I've owned two of them.

My first Sporty was a 93 that was a stocker and holy crap the frame flex was scary, not to mention the suspension and brakes that sucked azz too. Then I got a 76 that was a basket case that I restored, but while it was apart I did some minor reinforcing and it helped a bunch in normal riding. I can only imagine how much it would help in adventure-izing the bike.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Old hat - Evil Kinevil's already bin & dun it
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
HammerD0wn
Go cry me a river...

Oddometer: 101
Buy the Harley, chop it, throw on some leather bags and a duffel on the sissy bar.....call her done....that's the right way...but that is just me & my opinion.
HammerD0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven
...A quick glance around teh intarwebz shows that I'm not the first guy to think of this. So, I'm not saying that I am...
kraven,

I have tried the...

"my topic here site:advrider.com" search, on Google, and have found nothing.

A few months ago, I found a Sporty, set-up with knobbies, somewhere on this forum. For the life of me, I can't remember what thread it was in. I have looked and looked, but have come-up empty.

Like you, I would like to do the same thing ("adventure Sporty"). If you have any links, and would be willing to share, I would be happy to see them. Thanks in advance...

J.J.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Inspiration?

You got any pictures regarding the direction your thinking? I've seen some pretty good conversion with that sporty. Love to see how this turns out.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Do it! I toyed with the idea and still my do one for the wife. When I found an 07 Buell STT with 69 miles for $4K that kinda changed my mind. I know the Sportys are so muck cooler looking but some of the Buells have much better parts for less than you could build a Sporty. There is that "out of business" thing but my local dealer is really into Buells, so I'm going to try it.

I think a Sporty scrambler would be very cool. There are some good ideas on the interweb. Dig around and you get some great ideas. I think it was a member Rustyspuds that had a kick ass sporty on here.

It's "rusty spuds" search for his posts, good stuff.

Good luck, Murf2
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
A few months ago, I found a Sporty, set-up with knobbies, somewhere on this forum. For the life of me, I can't remember what thread it was in. I have looked and looked, but have come-up empty.
J.J.
This one?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495012
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
...This one?...
I believe that is the one!

Thanks sturgeon, and Happy Holidays to you!

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
sportyrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
This is probably a little more dirt oriented than you had in mind, but I think a sportster adventure bike is a great idea. Keep us posted
06 dr650
sportyrider is offline   Reply With Quote