User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
DL1000 or Tiger 955i?

So I am going to be purchasing a bike to keep some of the miles down off of my 76 R90/6. I have been pretty set on a DL1000 for a while because the amount of bike you get for the money. Then I recently remembered the Tiger 955i. I have never had the chance to ride the Tiger as I can not find one locally to test out.

A little bit about my riding habits, I would realistically be riding 90% (if not more) on road and 10% gravel/fire roads. I do a few trips per year ranging from a few hundred miles to 1,000+ miles and up until now have all been done on my R90/6. I want something my wife will be comfortable on but that I will also enjoy riding solo. I enjoy riding through twisties and would like something that can handle itself on a winding back roads but also have good highway manners. Both bikes seem to have decent power so the power should not be an issue on either the DL or Tiger. I imagine the triple on the Triumph would be a ton smoother.

Any thoughts on how these bikes stack up against each other vs my riding style? Thanks!
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
Both bikes seem to have decent power so the power should not be an issue on either the DL or Tiger. I imagine the triple on the Triumph would be a ton smoother.

Any thoughts on how these bikes stack up against each other vs my riding style? Thanks!
I have not ridden the Tiger, and while the Triumph triples are smooth, I think the DL 1000 is definately smoother as far as vibration. Much smoother than my R 1150 RT. When the throttle bodies are right and the infamous clutch basket ( source of vibrations that are often overlooked) is fixed these are VERY comfortable on the highway. I am sure the Tiger has the edge in off-highway but realistically how often is that really important. The DL gets the job done, has tons of aftermarket and dealer support and is not know for leaving riders along the side of the road broken down. Hard to beat the value of the DL for an everyday ride.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,261
I have ridden both extensively and my preference would be Tiger all the way. Would not take either of them in the dirt more than well graded dirt roads as both would be tough to pick up and the Tiger is too pretty for abuse. Some folks dirty them up really good though.

That triple is smoother and the sound is addicting like the wraith of Pavarotti singing each time you twist his arm.

Adjustable seat height, can get spoked wheels or cast.

Later models are dialed in more for street riding.

That being said, that Stromm is one heck of a machine as well.

Would take either if given to me. Would purchase the Triumph.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote