Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #166
Barbarin
España

Oddometer: 79
Vespa 200 TX. Good one, reliable.... Would buy one if I were rich just to attend parties elegantly.

Honda XBR500. Reliable to death, charming sound and "neocaféracer" looks from factory. Would not buy one because I would not use it while Im using the rest.

Honda VFR750 '89. Sophisiticated, smooth, fast, reliable. Same reason to not buy it again as above, little use.

Honda CBR1100XX. Never rode a firebreathing dragon, but I believe it must be a similar experience. Is a machine Im proud one day was under my bottom, but little use on a country packed with speed radars and a goverment looking forward anxiously to get your money.

Honda NTV 650 Revere. A kind of two wheeled tank, classy, cheap to use, with a delicious sound. Still own it and use it.

Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin. YES. It is "the perfect machine" for my needs. Can ride 700 km in one day not needing a therapist for my back after that. Reliable, cheap to use, you can jump into it and with no moddification ride it to anywhere in the world as long as you can put gas on it. Its look, the look of the legendary 80's dakar bikes, and its raw but elegant sound still can turn a lot of heads.

And of course, if I had the budget of Bruce Wayne, I would keep them all on my garage, serviced by Alfred and ready for a ride, shinny.

Javier
Barbarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #167
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Now I'm looking to add a ADV type bike and I'd like to hear how you guys feel about your various bikes.
I bought a used '06 Ulysses in May of '06.
Still have it; would buy another if they were still in production.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #168
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Hmmm - Had to ponder this a bit. Yes, I would. But just the 08 Uly & 955 Tiger.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #169
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Super Tenere. Yes I would buy it again.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #170
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
tiger

2011tiger - roadie. 27000 km . In a heart beat.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #171
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
''09 KLR- if I could get my own heavily modified bike back, yes. In stock form I would not do it again. Well, except maybe the 2012s that don't burn oil. Loved the do it all nature of the bike. The regret is mostly due to how much time/effort/money I dumped into far keeling it.

'01 ktm 250 exc. yes, now that I can actually handle it. Currently looking for a newer XCW.

TW200 - if I needed a farm bike, or moped alternative. Kick ass little bike. Just too small though.

'06 DRZ 400- bought it already fully farkled. Shouldn't have sold it since there was really nothing wrong with it. Probably wouldn't go to the trouble to recreate it though.

'09 WR250 X/R. - yes, although I would keep it much more stock. Bought a used one that is all tricked out. More likely to plate a 450f next time though.

'04 Tiger 955 - too soon to tell for certain, but awesome so far, and the price was right.

Honestly I'd be happy on just about anything that can do a liitle dirt and pavement. Each bike has been fun and I hope to keep new ones coming!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #172
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
K75s..The.first time i felt like this is "the one". Bought two more since and they still put a smile on my face every time i hit the starter.
KLR 650....I have beaten this thing till i am sore and it just won't die. Buy another...no way. But i hope to kill it before it kills me.
R1150GSA...rattley and clanky and heavy but it reaches my heart on a long ass day on a dirt highway. Like it more than the 1200 i test rode so i have to say yes.
PS 250, Big Ruckus. Yes i would but i have no idea why except that is just so ugly.

damurph screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 04:09 AM
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #173
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,172
Of those currently in the stable...

'67 Triumph Bonneville: Hell Yes!

'68 Triumph Tiger: Don't know, still haven't finished putting it together.

'73 Honda CB750: No. It is an awesome bike, but didn't fit what I wanted.

'07 Triumph Bonneville with a Ural Cargo box: YES! Most utility I've ever owned, and smokin looks to boot.

'11 Ural Gear-Up: Yes, yes, and heck yes! The second yes from the wife, and the heck yes was from my dog. Hands down the most fun bike I have ever owned.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #174
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
1978 Honda XL 250 --- Yes, that was a great bike, oth, given tech advances, I'd get a wr250r or a ktm were I buying today.

1980 Kawa 440 ltd --- No, the seating position was too cruiser for me. I sold it after a year.

1983 Yama 750 Seca --- Yes, about as good a standard as has ever been built, shaft drive even. I'd probably prefer an sv650 or Gladius today.

1980 Enfield 350 --- Yes, that turned out to be a great bike & a stunning looker. When in India...

1992 Enfield 500 --- No, it was a POS, I'd get a different one next time.

2007 Hotian 150 --- Yes, it was the little bike that could. Took me 6000km from Xingziang to Lhasa w/o so much as a flat. Bought for $660, sold it for $450.

2007 Honda Falcon nx400 --- No, It's a good bike for S Am but the oil system is terrible and the fork seals always blow out. I'd hunt for a 650 thumper or TransAlp/vStrom if I did it again.

2012 dl650 vStrom --- Yes, it has been a great ride, there would have to be another bike come out to get me to buy something else, like a modernized Africa Twin. The Super Tenere is tempting tho' .
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 07:59 AM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #175
springfieldboston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I would buy my Valkyrie again and again and again.......

Yes, its a big bike, but I love it.

I am completely spoiled by the endless roll on power at any speed in any gear, it does so many things well.

Its so smooth and comfortable and fun to ride.

I have tried a lot of bikes and owned a few over the years.

For me the Valkyrie is the bike that I always wanted but never knew I wanted.

springfieldboston screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 08:43 PM
springfieldboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #176
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1098 View Post
Shhhhh. . . 955 Tigers, best kept secret in used bikes

That engine sound/power gave me wood every time.....

Would never have sold it other than the Super Tenere on order.

Would definitely buy a Tiger 955i again...

Am VERY happy with the Tenere'. Not as exciting but mucho power/torque and amazing off road handling (loaded with all my touring crap) as compared with the Tiger, 02 GSA, V-Strom, 07 GSA....plus, gotta love that shaft/26k valve checks/ easy access to battery and air cleaner. Best/easiest to service I've yet owned!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #177
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,341
Of the bikes in the sig (would be a little silly to write about all the others between '90 and today),

-MTS12ST: yes, as long as my riding style/needs remained the same. I'd own something less techy and less performance oriented otherwise.
-Tuono Racing: all day long....the sportbike value play of the century. Would I buy today's Tuono? Maybe, but it would have to be a Factory version that isn't yet available as I have trouble with the current bike's looks. The performance is so good though that I might overlook them.
-V7 Classic: still too early to tell, but for a good looking, Sunday ride to throw a leg over, yes. Gotta remember its price- point.
-Vespa GTS 300 Super: absolutely....what a riot (I've changed out the front shock and rear bushings, it's actually kinda fun up in the canyons )

Fun thread,

Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #178
George_B
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi All,

Since no one mentioned it yet,
Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yes most diffidently !!! Great bike on the road and comfortable enough for two up riding. May not be as good as the Yamaha off road..... but i'm not going to be off roading it much (if at all).

The last few bikes i've loved before

2009 BMW HP2 Sport, Hell YES !!! But not as an only bike.
2006 BMW K1200s, Sadly No. TOO many problems and outta the park expensive to fix.
2003 BMW K1200rs, Yes. Sweet fat lady that loved to dance !

This is a great thread.

Regards

George_B screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 05:30 PM
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #179
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 479
I wanted a new GS800. BMW then pushed the delivery date back 10 months. I decided I wanted a Uly. Could not find a good deal in Jan 2008. I bought an used DL1000 with 4200+ miles. Absolutely a great bike. Would buy again in heart beat. When I started riding 40+ years ago. Nobody that I knew would have been caught dead on a Suzuki. When the Water Buffalo & RM?250/400 bikes came out my opinions changed. It took another 35+ years to buy a Suzuki.

Les
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #180
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
I currently own 2 usa Honda Transalp's. I had another priviously so a total of 3.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote