User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #181
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Of current:

BSA A65L - Yes, partially because it was all original when bought with only 4 k miles. And $400. Nice to have a classic, love kick start. Always wanted a BSA after spotting one that looks just like mine when I was about 16. Been pretty reliable, used to commute with it when it was only 25 years or so old. Still do sometimes. Fun in a purely simple and mechanical way.

04 Bonneville. Absolutely. Like the BSA but drop dead reliable. Miss the kick start though. Easy to modify for looks, and performance (at least the carb models). A pleasure to ride, but can't easily hold a lot of gear for long distance.

12 Tiger 800. Yes, reliable, fast, tons of capacity for gear (with givi trekkers). Almost set up for my needs now, just need to reduce the drone. The drone is a bother, but brought on by my own action (chopping the baffle).
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #182
Dharuma
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 184
Heck yes--I bought a 2012 Wee in February and love it.
Dharuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #183
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Super Tenere----- This bike is totally AWESOME 31,000 miles and a week over one year old, can't get enough of it.

06 650 Wee---- Good commuter bike but that's about it. Fake Adventure bike.

1979 XS1100--- Bought new 185,000 miles won't sell but I've sure had enough of it.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #184
Tonyw
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Interesting question!

Current rides - Ducati Monster S2R1000 - I would buy another one no doubt.

Also Ducati 1198 - would not get rid of mine but 1 is enough.
Tonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #185
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
I have another, related question.

If you still love your one and only bike, and would definitely buy it again; Is one bike enough?

I wouldn't trade my R12GS for anything, but got me a serious hankerin' for a new Monster 1100 Evo.
Honestly, I've owned quite a few bikes over the years, and loved all of them. Even the '65 BSA that took all my money in my teen years and rarely ran for more than a few miles at a time.

If you could keep your current bike, is there a bike that you've ridden that would also get a good amount of saddle time if it was also in your garage? What is it?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #186
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I have another, related question.

If you still love your one and only bike, and would definitely buy it again; Is one bike enough?

I wouldn't trade my R12GS for anything, but got me a serious hankerin' for a new Monster 1100 Evo.
Honestly, I've owned quite a few bikes over the years, and loved all of them. Even the '65 BSA that took all my money in my teen years and rarely ran for more than a few miles at a time.

If you could keep your current bike, is there a bike that you've ridden that would also get a good amount of saddle time if it was also in your garage? What is it?
I'd say that warrants a new thread but I'll answer.
I'd love to have a rotax engine Aprilia. As much fun as the Tuono is I'd probably take the Futura and ride it during the wet season.
I'd also love to have a KTM 5xx EXC in the garage though I doubt it would be ridden as much as the Multistrada or a Futura.
For something completely different that I know I'd ride a lot? Another v-twin standard. Guzzi/V11 Sport or a Monster. I miss my monster sometimes and I love the way the Griso looks. I like my housemate's Norge so I know what I'm getting into with the Guzzi thing.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #187
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
FJR1300- absolutely!
Ural Gear Up- in a heartbeat
Buell Ullysses- yup
KM100-meh

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #188
Alanjnc
AlanjNC

Oddometer: 38
Sure

And after dozens, a 2011 GSA. Perfect, but a hypermotard with a box on the back for urban duties is next, though the GSA is great n the city!
Ironically, I'm also on the hunt for a ct90 or 110 (trail 90) was my first bike 35 years ago and I want another!!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #189
ktjim
longtime n00b

Oddometer: 14
Thumb

03 Aprilia CapoNord. 90k miles. It's in the shop for the first time due to an on road breakdown. Kinda looking around at what I might buy. Super Tenere, Stelvio, KLR, DL650 but if the Capo was available I would buy another without hesitation. Has been a great bike.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #190
tick-tock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Of the 15 I've owned, I've definitely found some favorites.

First, the bikes I wouldn't buy again:

SV650 - No. Fun bike but not enough top-end power and not very versatile

Honda 919 - No. Didn't like the suspension or transmission but the engine was a gem.

Triumph Bonneville - No. Too slow for an 800cc twin and the seat was mighty uncomfortable. Couldn't bear to ruin the looks with an aftermarket seat.

Honda XR500 - No. Too old and too single-purposed.

SV1000S - No. Not enough power or suspension to make up for the sport-bike ergos.

Triumph Daytona - No. Lots of fun, fantastic motor, but my back can't stand the riding position.

Buell Ulysses (x2) - No. I did try this twice and liked the versatility, plus it was a blast to ride. The engine was too temperamental, however, and there wasn't enough steering lock for a bike that was designed to have off-pavement capability.

V-Strom 1000 - No. It was good on the highway but felt too top-heavy for off-road use. Had a bad stumble in the mid RPM range which had to be sorted with new fuel mapping. If I want a good highway tour mount, I'll just get an FJR1300 next time.

More of these, please:

2nd gen KLR650 - Yes. First bike I've had that could really go in the dirt and I've found that to be so much more fun than street riding. Though, this does street riding well too.

1st gen FZ1 (x2) - Yes. Very versatile with comfort, power, and reliability.

2nd gen FZ1 (x2) - Yes. Not as comfortable as the 1st gen but I liked having FI and it looked better.

Aprilia Tuono - Yes. Really enjoyed the power, looks, and handling. Would definitely buy one of the new V4 models.
tick-tock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #191
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Love my Super Tenere. Just over 5,000 on the clock and it keeps getting better and better. Seriously, the bike really woke up around 4,000 miles and I swear it gets better each time I ride it.

Would definitely buy another one. And put as many miles on as fast as I could to get the beast to wake up.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #192
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Actually I did...

This it what it replaced...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #193
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
As much as I love my 2008 DL1000 V-Strom it took a ton of garage time, money and custom machine work by yours truly to set straight the factory's "oversights." I'm kinda' married to it now, but would I do it over again? Dunno', but I'd sure do some hard shopping the second time around.
I feel exactly the same way. First bike I've ever owned that was a disappointment. Now that I have it running well, I may already be over it. The handling was crappy at first, and now I don't feel 100% confident in the corners.

Definitely a Ducati Multistrada next or maybe the Triumph Explorer or maybeeeee....
Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #194
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 384
I would buy it again without a doubt. Having owned a Super Tenere for a year now, I am more impressed with it than ever. It seems to get better with age too. Great bike!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #195
Midwest Mike
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm in a long term relationship (aprrox. twelve years), with a Cagiva Gran Canyon. Despite it's relatively few shortcomings (pro. from elements and body parts availability), this mount has given me ZERO trouble! It has been comfortable enough for lengthly tours, as well as interesting enough in engine/handling characteristics to keep me entertained. Ride far and deep, my friends!
Midwest Mike is offline   Reply With Quote