Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Hang in there buddy. Stay positive and envision your return to all that you love about riding. You will get there. So sorry you are going through this. I'm sending you healing thoughts.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Machete-LC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Sounds like you are already sounding more positive. You will soon be back on you feet and riding I am sure. While it provides no consolation to say these things happen, but well they do. I know I wouldn't regret riding my bike on any day that I can and I am sure you will be back on two wheels soon. Good luck with the recovery and maybe your physical therapist will be a hotty!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Gimpinator
Slightly Annoyed

Oddometer: 1,077
It's incredible what people will do sometimes! Best wishes for a full and complete recovery. That external fixation pic of your wrist is giving me the willies. Ouch!

Your experience is not unique to les Belges. (I lived there for a while in the early 80's.) I was recently driving down Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, CA in my truck. I was going about 50 in the right-hand lane and a stretch limousine was coming up the opposite way. The guy looked right at me, then decided to flip a u-turn into my lane! It would have been mere asshattery and a manageable situation, except that the idiot didn't realize that a STRETCH LIMO will not flip a u-turn across a four-lane road. The car ended up blocking my entire side of the road, plus an additional lane on the other side. With full ABS going, the truck was not going to stop. Somehow I managed to thread the needle with oncoming traffic and get by the bonehead.

It's probably better that your "con" (non French-speakers, look it up) Espace driver doesn't get in touch with you. You might hurt your wrist more giving him a beating
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
hang in there buddy. Stay positive and envision your return to all that you love about riding. You will get there. So sorry you are going through this. I'm sending you healing thoughts.
+1
Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
AMEretired
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Sorry to hear about this. I wish you a full recovery.
AMEretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
sysie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Hang in there mate, similat thing happened to me 18 months ago... Car turned right infront of me and I hit it at about 60km/h.. broke both ankles, hospital for 10 days, surgery and then wheelchair for 3 months before the rehabilitation and phisotherapy could start... Cound not ride my bike for 8 almose a year after the incident but I am glad to say that I am back on it and it is just as much fun as before....

Dont rush to get back on the bike but don't think about giving it up now either... focus on your rehabilitation and make those decisions later
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Damn that sounded familiar, minus the serious injuries. As a "victim" of a person doing a quick u-turn, I wonder if I could have done anything different to avoid the wreck... As strange as this may sound, I appreciate my accident now, almost a year later, for how it has changed me, my riding style, and most importantly, my level of focus while on the road.

Heal well, ride again!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #23
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Narf, very sorry to hear. Now you can prepare your revenge and sue the sh!t out of him freakn' bast*rd. Please keep us tuned of your health, when you are getting better and riding again.

but at least the TT crash bars are still attached to the frame
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
Robus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm hearing about more and more accidents like this. There's another thread here about a guy whose R1200RT was wrecked by a u-turner. Definitely something to be alert for.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Well hope you continue to get better.

How about the U-turner: were they parked/stopped by the side of the road beforehand or did they do a rolling U-turn?
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #26
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
I hope you heal up fast, it looks like a really nasty crash, glad you are still alive!! I witnessed a u-turner crash last winter, two cars involved. i walked up to the u-turners window asked if she was ok, when she replied she was unhurt, I told her it was the stupidest thing I had ever seen. I have no doubt you feel the same way. Heal up fast.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
I absolutely wish the OP the best and hope you heal well and will come back to us as a rider.

Having said that: I want to express some opinions that may not be popular.

#1 You must/should accept that when you ride a motorcycle you're much more vulnerable than someone in a cage, which means that your mistakes cost you a lot more in physical pain and money.

#2 While your conduct may not be in any way the cause of the accident....you still suffer the above; it's a consequence of your choosing to ride a motorcycle. (Not "fair", but I think we all learned that life is not necessarily fair, probably around age 10)

#3 A question: Please be honest; How many of you always slow, at least slightly at intersections and "scan" actively before proceeding? Come on, be honest!

I fear and think that a lot of us don't ride with the right mind set. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of us who commute on a nearly daily basis, tend to fall into the "cage driver mindset".....Oh, they'll see me, they'll obey the traffic laws, they'll not pull out in front of me, "or in the case of the OP, "of course this idiot won't U turn in front of me) etc. etc.

I don't want to be critical and have a lot of empathy for the OP. But, I would like to hear his answer to this: (Given your recent tragic experience, what would your thoughts be on what you might change about your street riding strategies?)

Again, I do not mean to be critical, rather helpful, if possible.

I ride in Phoenix, AZ daily...one of the most "lethal" cities to drive/ride in. Not one of the most accident prone cities, but one in which many of the accidents are "fatal". That's because the speeds are high, even on surface streets and that the freeways are, well, like the autobahn in the minds of many. Not to mention the "mindset" of a lot of distracted drivers who are on cells, texting and all the usual bullshit. Nearly got run over the other day by a woman who was on the phone and pulled out in front of me, in a parking lot, in spite of my Hi Viz summer jacket. How the hell can some people drive without being on the phone??? Totally pisses me off!

Again, I mean no criticism the OP, but would like to hear his thoughts on the above.

Absolute best Wishes to him!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #28
GSFREEK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
@BERETTA:

I understand what you mean, but I think i have a pretty defensive riding style. I am constantly scanning the situation and do not take it for granted that people will follow the rules/have seen me coming. I slow down at every intersection and where there are cars parked next to the road, i always look to see if there are people in it, ready to do something stupid. This time however, i didn't see that bastard sitting and he turned in front of me way to closeby with no chance of avoiding the hit. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.. I could have riden 30km/h on a 70km/h road, but then i would ride my bicycle
GSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #29
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 264
Sorry to learn of your accident. I hope you are on the mend and will ride again soon. Apart from being rear ended at a stop; the left/U turning cagers are what injures/kills most of us. That and effing Deer.

Back in '08 Sport Rider columnist and Author (Sportbike Suspension Tuning) Andrew Trevitt was paralyzed when a teenaged driver pulled a U turn on the Angeles Crest. Zero time to react and he was a much better rider than I will ever be. Glad to know that your injuries though severe, are hopefully not life changing.

I always keep in mind that people driving cars are homicidal maniacs out to kill me. Luckily I have been disappointed in my estimation of their mindset but that doesn't mean I trust them to do the sane/thoughtful action.

Get well soon and get back on two wheels.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
GSFREEK,

I hear you and don't doubt your assessment of the circumstances at all. I know there ARE situations that are just simply unavoidable, even with the most careful and defensive riding possible. Wish you the best outcome possible for your injuries.

Someone mentioned that in your country there are no lawsuits for this kind of situation. Is that true? If so, how are things settled equitably for the damage to your bike and you medical expenses/pain and suffering?
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote