Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
jdc_va_usmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik37 View Post
Well I'm trouble now. I just checked my engine and any time the pistons are at TDC, the valves are always closed.

Is it bad?
Your engine wouldn't run.

"Long live the United States, and success to the Marines!"

jdc_va_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #32
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
at TDC the cylinder on compression (going into the power stroke) will have all valves closed and there should be a gaps between the valve tips and the cam/rocker.... the other side should have the exhaust valves open with the cam/rocker pushing them down
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #33
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You should check out the tech days on the local club. I just had one least weekend.

www.bmwbmw.com

Jim

PS I would be happy to help if you wanted to ride to Alexandria, VA.
It was suggested through a PM to contact you and ask for help. I couldn't presume that.

However, if you are offering, let me know when you are available, and what I need to bring!!!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
It was suggested through a PM to contact you and ask for help. I couldn't presume that.

However, if you are offering, let me know when you are available, and what I need to bring!!!
Rum!

I expect a weekend is the only time you are available? I am off every other Friday as well.

I am sure we can work out a time.

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Well I'm trouble now. I just checked my engine and any time the pistons are at TDC, the valves are always closed.

Is it bad?
Well actualey you are right and wrong. When 1 cylinder is on TDC Firing stroke both valves will have clearance which is when you set the tappets. The other cylinder has just finished its exhaust stroke and about to start its intake stroke, the cam lobes are at the V formation one has just closed the other is about to open. The valves look closed but if you try the clearance on the rockers there will be none. 360Deg rotation and you will be able to set that cylinder. Tappets should always be set with cam followers as close as possible to back of the lobe on the cam if you can see it.
WR
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #36
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Rider View Post
Well actualey you are right and wrong. When 1 cylinder is on TDC Firing stroke both valves will have clearance which is when you set the tappets. The other cylinder has just finished its exhaust stroke and about to start its intake stroke, the cam lobes are at the V formation one has just closed the other is about to open. The valves look closed but if you try the clearance on the rockers there will be none. 360Deg rotation and you will be able to set that cylinder. Tappets should always be set with cam followers as close as possible to back of the lobe on the cam if you can see it.
WR
There is actually some valve overlap and the inlet and exhaust valves will both be slightly open at TDC between the exhaust and intake strokes. The inlet may be just barely open as it starts opening at 1 degree before TDC but the exhaust does not close until 16 degrees after TDC.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
There is actually some valve overlap and the inlet and exhaust valves will both be slightly open at TDC between the exhaust and intake strokes. The inlet may be just barely open as it starts opening at 1 degree before TDC but the exhaust does not close until 16 degrees after TDC.
I agree with you completely on what you are saying but to the untrained eye the valves look like they are closed but in reality there will be valve spring tension on the rockers the amount of tension depends on how wild the cam is. Overlap etc. etc.
WR
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #38
Chubb1
Going going gone

Oddometer: 77
Quote:

Is it bad?
After reading all the posts on this, it's sure gona confuse the shit out of some one?. May be me, I ve always had trouble determining TDC. That mark on the cam just is a bit vague for me. (1200gs 07). So what I now do is pull the plugs and pop a straw through the plug hole, rotate the engine till the straw comes out no further (this should be TDC) Find the side with no tension on the valve rocker and check the gap. It's a 50/50 guess as to which side it is. Then do the same on the other pot. Have I been doing it all wrong? The beast runs great. Does it matter that I'm in the southern hemisphere?
Chubb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #39
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb1 View Post
After reading all the posts on this, it's sure gona confuse the shit out of some one?. May be me, I ve always had trouble determining TDC. That mark on the cam just is a bit vague for me. (1200gs 07). So what I now do is pull the plugs and pop a straw through the plug hole, rotate the engine till the straw comes out no further (this should be TDC) Find the side with no tension on the valve rocker and check the gap. It's a 50/50 guess as to which side it is. Then do the same on the other pot. Have I been doing it all wrong? The beast runs great. Does it matter that I'm in the southern hemisphere?
No mate, you are doing it right.

I wouldn't worry to much about what you are reading here...

They never get the aussie sarcasm... I guess too many chief, not enough indians....

I apologise if my posts did confuse you. I was just killing some time....

I still can't get the valves to open at TCD, mind you...
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #40
Chubb1
Going going gone

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
No mate, you are doing it right.

I wouldn't worry to much about what you are reading here...

They never get the aussie sarcasm... I guess too many chief, not enough indians....

I apologise if my posts did confuse you. I was just killing some time....

I still can't get the valves to open at TCD, mind you...
No prob, just puttn it out there.
Chubb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #41
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,564
Once I started a thread asking how valve clearances change over time, and it varied from one bike to another.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637479

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #42
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Why? This is 100% accurate, no mistakes, every time:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_24K.html

Always looking at the right cam chain:

See the arrow, adjust the right valves.

See the lug, adjust the left side valves.

This is only applicable to the 2004-2009 Hexheads.

On the R1100/1150, the arrow can be there on either side, but to be sure you are doing the correct side, make sure both intake and exhaust have slack, and you are on the correct side. When done, rotate until the arrow comes around and ensure valve slack and do the other side.

This is much simpler than some like to make it in philoshphical discussions.

Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #43
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,436
Quote:
If you look at the boxer camshaft base circle, the stick in the cylinder plug hole method for TDC (approximately) determination works fine.

If you have changed the camshafts, all bets are off.

Hmmmmmm.....interesting question...how many of you have changed your camshafts from stock?
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
If you look at the boxer camshaft base circle, the stick in the cylinder plug hole method for TDC (approximately) determination works fine.

If you have changed the camshafts, all bets are off.

Hmmmmmm.....interesting question...how many of you have changed your camshafts from stock?
On a boxer? Few I would say. IIRC there is only one company making them, and they aren't worth the cost IMHO.

Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #45
thehomealien
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Can we just nuke this confuzzling thread and replace it with a link to Jim's instructions?
thehomealien is offline   Reply With Quote