Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Nice photo!

Looks like good TW territory . . .

Plenty steep and rocky here. We went down with engines off, in first gear with rear tire acting as anchor drag. Worked!
Not to scary, just slow.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Looks like good TW territory . . .
One good thing about the TW on these trails...it's low and I (we) could put both our feet down to help balance in the rough stuff.

One bad thing about the TW on these trails...It's sometimes too low and our feet (footpegs) didn't always clear objects along the rough stuff!

It was definitely an adventure and I learned alot about trail riding!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 03:31 PM
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesage View Post
TheAdmiral, great thread. Enjoyed the words/pix/history of the area. Thanks! You and RedRockRider are making me want a TW!

Funny, the more I read RedRockRider's thread, the more I want at WR250R. Mainly for better highway speed/comfort. ...but I'll never sell the TW unless under tremendous duress...or old age!

Thanks for reading the stuff I cobble together and post!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

WR250R vs. TW200

Hey Admiral --

Yeah, the WR250R and TW200 are both great. The WR is definitely much, much better for banging out a few highway miles in route to the dirt. On my WR250R I can essentially keep up on pavement with a buddy who rides a KLR650. Once we get to the dirt, the WR shines.

TW and WR are both good on dirt/rocks, just different. TW has the low seat height; WR much better suspension. TW's fat tire is better on sand, but woefully underpowered.

As you say, don't ever sell your TW. Makes a great family and friends bike if you are ever inclined that way.

Keep ridin'

Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Back from Canda / Alaska ???

How 'bout a pic?

More importantly -- time get the TW back out. Gerogie is stir crazy. Let's see it!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
How 'bout a pic?

More importantly -- time get the TW back out. Gerogie is stir crazy. Let's see it!
Georgie and I both missed riding as this Alaska/Canada trip was Georgie and TW-less. So, after a couple of days back, I had to cure the itch and went on ride in the local BLM terrain for a couple of hours. I only took one photo, cause there's not much to see, but oh well.

Wasn't gonna post any trip pictures, cause the Alaska-Canada trip is a little more off-topic without the bike, but still a voyage none-the-less. Here's some samples.

Little boat trip in a Kenai Peninsula Fjord. Here were about 1/4-1/2 mile from the glacier and the boat in the photo is about twice as large as the one we were on.

Some lake in British Columbia. I think between Banff and Jasper, but can't remember. Makes for a good photo though.

And from our "flightseeing" tour near Kennecott Mine/McCarth, AK.

The rest of the trip photo's are here. Some good one's too.
http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/a...0and%20Canada/

We did see tons of motorcycles all packed with gear and barely rideable. Even saw some with ADV stickers.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Vacation Over Back to Some Riding and Stuff

Well, since my return from our family vacation to Canada and Alaska, I've been busier than two dogs fight'in over a month old pork roast. But . . . I've managed to get a little riding scheduled on the docket. So, here's a few rides I've been able to get in. By the way, I realized I hate work and love fun!

7/16/12. First up, Sscooter's (Forum member) TW geocache, Jackson Pk L.O. and Banner Mine area jaunt. Primary mission on this ride was to finally make it to the cache Sscooter planted a year or two ago on the road to Jackson Peak Lookout. He made it a TW friendly cache as you will see. However, I did get more exploring done on this ride other than the cache. Sscooter's name for the cache is "Great Views". I agree!

Here's a visual for the day's ride

Made it to the cache. Sscooter probably couldn't wait for a TW'er too show up, so he finally published the cache in May on Geocaching dot com. I'm never one to race to be the FTF (first to find) to a cache, but when I loaded the data to my GPS, no one had logged it yet. So there's a possibility I'll be the first. No such luck though, two cacher's had been there before me. One three days and the second just the day before me. I placed a "travel bug" (stuffed animal) that I brought back from Alaska in the cache.

Photo of my riding pard' as viewed from the cache. Sometimes I wonder what she's thinking when she's looking at me like this?

Georgie enjoying a refreshing beverage, where we parked for this cache.

Then headed for the cache near Jackson Peak L.O. When I arrived at the lookout, the friendly lady manning the L.O. said she was glad I stopped by, but that I may want to leave soon as a thunderstorm was rapidly approaching. She said I could come back any time, but didn't want to see me get struck by lightening. I took her advice, chatted for a couple of minutes, then departed without looking for the cache.

Here's a view of Jackson Peak L.O. from a distance. You'll notice a diagonal line on the face of the hillside below the lookout. This is not the access road, but a road leading to a water spring the lookouts use for their water supply.

Naturally, I had to explore it. Here is the TW at the turn around near the springs. Would make for a good camp spot.

On the way from Jackson Pk L.O. to Banner Mine area, I did manage to find another cache located near a snow measuring station. The approaching T-storm was getting closer and started to rain, so I high tailed it out of this area and headed for lower elevation.

Finally made it to Banner Mine. I've briefly stopped here before several years ago, but spent a little more time here on this trip. Here's an old cabin along side the road leading to the mine area.

Some of the mine area is posted "No Trespassing", but I did manage to spot some ore car tracks leading from a collapsed mine entrance, to near the road. Kind of cool.

Been riding in a light rain for a while (avoided the t-storms), but before I tired of taking pictures, I did get a couple near the "366" cache. At first I wondered why the name "366", but now I get it. After riding a couple miles, I came to a gate marked with "366" the Forest Service road number near the cache. Da, thus the name.

Georgie keeping "lookout" while I log the cache. I hope she barks if she see's a bear or wolf! Hopefully early enough for me to get the heck outta there!

TW parked near the 366 cache. After this stop, I pretty much just leisurely headed back to the truck to load up and head home.

7/21/12. Hitt Mountain Ski Area (abandoned). The Finance Minister (wife) and I were able to successfully negotiate with the central bank to fund a "new to us" camper. We decided to take the camper out for a "shakedown voyage". Well, I can't go camping without taking the TW along, and I still had 1 vacation day remaining after our Canada/Alaska trip, so why not use it!

We've been wanting to return to explore this area more since a brief drive through in the pickup earlier this year. Couple years ago, while doing some map research of the area, I discovered a ski area listed. I had never heard of this ski area before and after doing some checking, found it went out of business some years before. So with my curiosity perked, off we went.

Hitt Mtn Ski area was a small ski area located west of Cambridge, Idaho, near Sturgill Lookout and Hitt Mtn. The ski area is actually closer to Sturgill Peak than it is to Hitt Mtn. Almost to the ski area, we find the remnants of the old ski area sign.

What a better spot to park the camper than on the old ski lodge building cement slab. Good level spot.

Here's a ground level photo of one of the old ski runs.

From what research I could find on-line of the Hitt Mtn Ski area, it operated from about 1969/70 to 1985. It had 1 T-bar (lift) and the ski lodge building. I'm still looking for old photos of the ski area, but can't find any on-line. I'll need to visit the local library or something to find some. Here's a goggle earth view of the ski area.

After off-loading the TW and ATV, setting up camp, (thankfully now done much quicker and with a lot less work involved), the finance minister, georgie and myself headed out for a day full of riding adventure. Here's a visual of our days excursion.

We begin our loop ride through the ski area up to the Tool Cache Summit. I'm still wondering where or if there is actually a Tool Cache in the area. I'm guessing if there is/was a Tool cache, it was used for fighting fires. Just a guess on my part as I've seen some other tool caches for fighting fires before.

We travel on some nice F.S. roads before finding ourselves at Benton Saddle, or at least I think we're at Benton Saddle. There seems to be a lack of signs and you have to use your best judgement on where you are and where your going!!!

Nice view from Benton Saddle looking to the S.E. sort of towards part of Hell's Canyon.

We must wait our turn! We can see an ATV coming down the road (trail). As it is so steep, we'll wait for them. As it turned out, I did stall the TW going up the steep first part of this trail and had to "clutch walk" the TW about 10-15 feet before I was able to resume riding. I think my clutch needs a band aide! Poor clutch, I abused it!

On up the "trail", is Sturgill Peak Lookout. We've been here before, but not from this direction. Let me warn anyone wishing to go here, it is much easier getting to the lookout using the main forest service road than it is this trail. It looks like a road, at times, but it is very very steep. Here's a photo of the lookout from about a mile away. Easy riding from this point on(ish).

Here's another photo of the lookout when we got closer. Since we've been here before, we didn't stop, just waved and let the lookouts (husband/wife team) enjoy their privacy.

Here's the finance minister enjoying the trail after departing the lookout heading towards Hitt Mtn, which is east of Sturgill Pk.

A view of Hitt Mtn on the ridge trail between Hitt and Sturgill.

Finance Minister and Georgie enjoying the trail as we dropped off the Sturgill/Hitt trail and started working our way back to camp.

Thought this looked like a cool view on our decent back to camp.

It was a long, hot and dusty ride, so we took a little time and cooled off by a creek. Warning: don't drink the water, lots of cows in the area!

When we arrive back at camp, Georgie finds a good perch to guard our camp against unwanted perpetrator's, namely bear, wolves, and mosquitoes.

What a view to wake up too the next morning! Must head home as I have to work later this afternoon. I hate work and love fun!!

7/24/12. Logging and riding in High Valley, Id, at our family friend Eldon's place. And camping!!

It looks like I'm having fun, but I assure you, cutting your own wood ain't easy!

So, after the logging operation ceased for the day, and since I brought the TW with, thought I'd enjoy an evening ride with my pard.
Can't hardly tell she wants to go. I always have to beg her to go riding with me. Not!! Georgie patiently waiting for me to "get the motor running"...

Since we're in High Valley, guess I'll take a picture of part of it.

One of the summits heading into High Valley. Two other summits heading into the valley that I can think of, are Dry Buck and High Valley summits. I think!

Me and Georgie take a break.

Use to be lots of sheep bands (herds) in years gone by. Still a few bands around, but not like it use to be. Though it still looks like it could be used, here is one of the old sheep corals. Lots of cattle now grazing up in these parts.

Well, you can tell by the look of Georgie our ride is almost over. I've just secured the gate to Eldon's driveway and gonna head back to camp and call it good. Hope you enjoyed a few places I get to ride and do when not at work. Did I forget to mention I hate work and love fun!!! Enjoy!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Postcript; Wood Cutting and TW Riding.

Couple days ago, we went back up to High Valley and finished this years wood cutting. Though we have some modern conveniences, it's still hard work.

Finished cutting rounds for a couple years worth of drying

...and finished splitting for the upcoming wood burning season

Worktime over - Playtime begins

Found many of these puppy tracks (wolf) on the local logging roads during my evening ride. At this point I decided to remove
my sidearm from my tank bag, and wear it for easier/quicker access. Like it would matter, but peace of mind for me.

Short break near Tripod Meadow's before heading back to camp for some well deserved R & R.

"Wow, those tracks look big! It's hard to tell the scale, how big would you say they were?" asked B-dub from the TW Forum.

Well, I had to retrieve/restore this photo from the recycle bin, but it does show somewhat of a comparison. My cell phone is just under 4 1/2 inches tall

So, according to this size chart, seems to fit.

Till next time. Have fun riding!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #24
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,067
Nice pics! Here is a pic of a wolf track up near Warren. That is my XL glove beside it.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Nice pics! Here is a pic of a wolf track up near Warren. That is my XL glove beside it.

Looks like a big one. I've not seen a wolf in the wild, yet, but see plenty of evidence when I'm riding up in the hills! They must smell me coming and take cover! giggle

Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Escape the Heat - Head for the Hills

We get our fair share of hot weather in the summer, and right now we been getting around/above 100 degree's. So, if I'm gonna squeeze in a ride, I'll have to head for the hills to stay cool. (I don't know how you folks who live in the desert SW and south deal with all the heat and/or humidity, my hats off to you all).

In order to ride in some shade, I headed to a familiar place I've ridden before, (Adams Creek/Mineral/Sturgill area), which is one of the closest area's with tree's, at a little over an hour away. It was a 100 degrees where I parked at, but I know it had to be in the 70's and 80's up higher. Much nicer than this forest fire smoke filled, heat inferno valley I live in. Cough, Cough, rub itchy eyes now!

Anyway, my objectives for the day:

1. Relaxing ride in the coolness of the mountain air. Result-Check.
2. Find some geocaches. Result-Not so check!
3. Exploring some roads/trails I haven't ridden yet. Result-Check

The route: Start up Adams Creek f.s. road, ride the ridge, explore the back way into Mineral from up top, and explore some other roads.

No picture, but once on top of the ridge, it was a no-go for finding the first cache. I was right there and couldn't find it. Maybe it's gone, but I'll put the blame on me for not finding it. 0 for 1.

Next, I wanted to take another try at a cache one of my daughters and I couldn't find last year.

Wait, what!!! I'm growling now as the F.S. has closed the way into it, on motorized transport anyway. Wonder if this is permanent or just temporary closing to mitigate fire hazards. I see lots of ATV's and motorcycle's are ignoring the sign as I see plenty of tracks in the road, but my riding partner and I decide to turn around and look for another way to this cache. Legally.

I find another f.s. road only for it to dead end. Shucks, I'm 0 for 2!

Punch in cache #3 into the GPS and head that direction, only to find . . . wait for it . . . you guessed it, trail closed, 0 for 3. Looks like they mean it on this one.

Looks like the f.s. has/is trying to keep the internal combustion's out from exploring the west side of the ridge. They were open last year, boo hoo, but I'll abide by their decisions and not risk a fight with the man!

With the geocaches a bust, I decided to do some exploring and find the back way into Mineral. (By-the-way, just cause it looks like you can make it by looking at the maps and google earth, doesn't mean you should try it. Just throwing that out there!)

So off I go. Yee-haw!

Spot an old cabin/line shack/house along the road I'm trying to find. It's nothing spectacular or anything, but I am amazed at what good condition it's in.

Throw in some new window's and you'd have a nice fixer upper place

Wonderful mountain views

and your own corral during the fall roundup

Not sure if these come with the place, guessing not, but I think they're a little peeved at me for disturbing their afternoon nap!

I finally find the old back road to Mineral. It's in extremely poor shape!! It's very steep (in a downward direction), and has some ruts 3-4 feet deep in some places. I had to walk the TW in a couple places they were so bad. Looked good in google earth, but here, not so much. I would not recommend anyone try this road, to dangerous. An ATV would not make it for sure! I had almost no choice as going back up would have proved more challenging than continuing down.

This is the good part!

After a very cautious decent, I make it down the draw, only to find what could be a dangerous obstacle. I know I shouldn't cross it, but after some debate with my riding partner, who is thirsty, I go anyway and make it.

From here it was clear sailing (except for all the thistle bushes) and I make it too and through Mineral. I didn't take any new photo's of Mineral as I've posted some
in a couple previous RR's from last winter and spring, but I did take one on my way up out of Mineral, on the nice road. In the far distance is Oregon and Hell's Canyon, and some of the old mining roads just above Mineral which is in the valley below the roads. Oh, and the haze is from all the fire smoke we've been enjoying. Not!

All-in-all, I had a pretty good ride and can't complain. At least I was able to squeeze in another TW ride. Hope you enjoy!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Admiral -- Nice recent ride reports. I chuckled regarding the "finance minister" -- amusing. Good strategy to gain elevation to beat the heat. That's the plan! Lots of great photos, particularly this one . . .

Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,277
dang, sweet photos in here! That TW looks right at home, my kind of riding

Looks like doggie is diggin the ride
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

No Escaping the Heat this Trip

Succor Creek - Leslie Gulch, Eastern Oregon

Well, I've been busier than a one legged man and a square dancing convention, but I was able to squeeze in a ride last week and just now have the time to post it up.

As are most of my rides, this was a day ride, and this time I started and finished from my house, rather than trailer up to a start point. First and last part of the ride was on pavement, with BLM dirt/gravel roads in-between.

Map visual of the ride
Northern portion (Bench Mark Map Idea from RedRockRider)

Southern portion

So I'm just tooling along on hwy 201 south of Adrian, Oregon along the Snake River when something catches my eye on the Idaho side. You just never know what you might see!

I've got a long ways to go

But it's worth it. Here I've entered the Succor Creek canyon area. Nice and green along the creek. Nice green shade tree too

Some impressive views of the canyon. Much more impressive in person than what the photo's can depict.

Just about out of the canyon, but I get one more cool view. A camp area is just a mile or two back from here (left of photo) that looks like it would be nice camping when it's not so darn hot

Headed out for some sagebrush riding again

Gotta stay on your toe's. You never know when you might run into the herd

Headed for Leslie Gulch and Owyhee Reservoir

About half way between Succor Creek road and Owyhee Reservoir, you start the decent into Leslie Gulch.
The gulch is named after Hiram Leslie who was killed by lightning at this spot

Some more really impressive "you have to be here" views of the volcanic rock formations

Dago Gulch branches off Leslie Gulch, but you can't ride or walk very far before you encounter private land

Looks like this cabin is still in use by somebody. Bars on the windows. Probably to keep the not-so-nice perpetrators out

and then what do I find? A TW landing strip!

Well, as much as we would like to believe we are high flying on our TW's, turns out it's just the boat ramp

Nice little campground before you get to the boat ramp. I'm guessing no one is here because the temperature out
is about 1,000 degrees or so. Feels like it!. Because of some potential sunburn, I put my long sleeve shirt on here.
Actually, kept me cooler throughout the rest of the ride with the long sleeve shirt on.

Needed to head back home so I continued on the loop part of my ride. Depending on the map, this is either Sans Basin Rd or Poison Creek Rd, or both. It comes out on Poison Creek Rd and you never get off the main road, so I'll call it Poison Creek Rd

I know this is part of Sans Basin. I stopped here to pee (which was a good thing and means I was staying hydrated). But looking back in the middle of this valley, 2 great big mule deer jumped right out in front of me and crossed the road. Yep, I wasn't expecting that!!! Which is why I have to pee now!

Just before re-entering civilized territory, I come across the old Poison Creek Stage Station. It was built in the mid 1880's and was one of the stagecoach stations on the old stage route between Caldwell, Idaho and Jordan Valley, Oregon. The road I was riding was part of the old stage route. The new(er) highway (U.S.95) is a few miles east of here and is of course the main route now between the Treasure Valley, Jordan Valley and points beyond. Oh, one more thing, the stage station is on the National Register of Historic places, though it's falling into disrepair.

Well, that's all folks. It was hot, but very pretty for desert riding anyway.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Admiral -- Nice job with the map! I make a color copy of the Benchmark page, highlight the route, then take a pic and add to the ride report. Kind of low tech, but fairly easy and works well. Really places things in context. Plus, if any inmates are really interested in a similar ride it is very easy to grab Benchmark and have a very good start.

If I'm in a new area I often take just the photocopy page from Benchmark with me. Much easier than taking the whole book.

Really enjoyed your pics from this ride. My favorite:

Riding direct from the house has its benefits -- all riding time, no trailer, etc. But taking the bike via truck/trailer definitely increases the range. So far, I've done very little trailering. May have to do a bit . . . we'll see.

A bit surprised to see the reservoir so low. I thought Idaho and parts north had a better snow winter than Utah and the southern Rockies. I guess it's dry everywhere. Even without your text I thought the boat ramp was an airstrip, perhaps for some guy's private cabin. Fly in from Hollywood . . .

As always, nice ride report!