Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
I ride every day for daily duties and for fun and have done since I first got my licence in 1969. I didn't get my car licence until I was 27 and was 35 before I finally bought my first car. I own two - the big one has done around 2000km in the last 2 years, mainly the 240km round trip to our head office every few months and the little city runabout around 7000km in the last year. I have ridden 40,000km plus in the last year as a guide. I use a car if the weather is really foul, if I need to transport people or if I have to pick up things which won't fit in the panniers or top box (and it is surprising what does).
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
seanred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Laugh

I work from home, but I ride almost everyday, the wife and I go shopping when only a few items, I have a Honda NC700x, still waiting for Top Box.
Weekends we are mostly outa here.

seanred screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 06:57 AM Reason: Typo
seanred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
seanred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thumb

"I ride every day for daily duties and for fun and have done since I first got my licence in 1969"

The same year I got mine.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
When I first got to LA I used to get around on my Sportster 90% of the time. Weather is great out here and you can legally split lanes. Though last night on my way to Korea Town for dinner saw a kid tail-ended by a chick. He was fine, bike looked pretty roughed-up. Estimated that 60% of drivers in So. Cal have no insurance and, probably, no license. If I still lived IN the city I'd still use my bike for getting around as traffic is so fucked-up out here about the only thing moving are bikes.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanred View Post
"I ride every day for daily duties and for fun and have done since I first got my licence in 1969"

We were a good year...

I always feel like I've lost a day if I can't get out on the bike. It's Autumn here now with lots of cold and drizzly days but as long as it isn't actually pouring when I leave home I still go out. I live right on the edge of the city - less than 5 minutes to the country roads - so I generally have a 60-100km ride for fun every day, regardless of whether I've been commuting to work or whatever beforehand. I figure I have about 10 years left before riding big bikes becomes impractical due to age, so I make the most of it.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanred View Post

Same year I got... born. ;) I only go to work 3 days a week but I take the bike 99.9% of the time for that. I just stay home if there's snow/ice. I will leave for work on the bike even if it's raining hard and there's lightning but I feel funny about doing it. If I'm on 4 wheels then I've likely got the whole family with me.
Marylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
got rid of the car about a year ago, hadn't driven it for six months prior to that so now it's seven days a week.
Still get off the bike smiling every day in the work parking lot.
Of course I live in Sydney and you'd have to ride about 10 hours to get to snow so the weather makes it easier
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
riderjohn
Tag Sniper

Oddometer: 1,600
I ride to and from work and everywhere in between.On my days off,I take day trips as often as possible.I've ridden over 6,000 miles since Jan. 1st.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 798
Thumb No snow or ice = ride

I ride my bikes almost 350 days a year. If there is no snow or ice it is a "go"! My cummute is 72 miles a day and coming from work it is the best stress relieve there is. My poor Jeep might see 1200 miles a year.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
Ditmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
If it's over 40F and the roads are clear I ride. I put way more miles on my bikes than my truck. Depending upon the errand is what bike I ride. Most of the time I'm on my Tu250x. If I'm going to buy a lot of groceries I take my DL650. The XL is a weekend tooling around bike. The truck is just for buying plywood or things that won't fit on the bike, and winter time.
2007 XL883R
Ditmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
andr3w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thumb

I ride a 2007 ninja 250 almost every day to work and into town for errands. The only exception being snow, my bike being down for maintenance, or having to haul crap to or from work.
The coldest I have ridden in to-date has been in the mid 20s....without enough warm gear. That was cold. Granted, I have only been riding for a year.
I do have a truck, but at 12mpg, the 63mpg of the two-fiddy makes enduring a cold or wet ride a heck of a lot easier. Plus riding has a way of putting a grin on my face that no other vehicle has been able to match.
andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 350
Living in SoCal, having decent weather 90% of the year, the ability to legally split lanes, keeps me a daily commuter on a bike. Days where I need to make shopping errands or other appointments afterwork makes me take one of my cars, but other than that, I'm on a bike. Don't always ride on the weekends so sometimes I'm down to 4-5 times a week.

When at home and having a lazy weekend with not much going on, my main mode of transportation turns into a beach cruiser or a skateboard for beer runs or a sandwich from down the street.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #28
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
When its riding seasons here (which is coming up right away) I ride to work at back everyday, then usually come home and either ride my dirt bike for a bit. On weekends it varies but many weekends I hop on the ol bike and tour around when I have time.

I live out on the gravel road, so alot of my riding depends on the rain and how bad the roads get, but generally speaking when riding timne starts Im out there everyday, on either my enduro or my dirt bike! (and now I will be on my ktm!)
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,862
I'm in Phoenix, well in the far out "burbs" and do a 100 mile commute daily. I've used a motorcycle as my primary means of transportation for the last 37 years (I'm 51 now). I ride in heavy traffic everyday, no problem. Look, I may not be the fastest guy in the mountains or on the dirt road, but I'm really good at riding in the commuting environment.

I pretty much swing a leg over the saddle everyday, rain, shine, hot or cold.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #30
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
If it isn't raining, temp is above 40F, and I don't need to haul passengers or goods that won't fit on the bike, then I ride. Of course since I live in the Dallas area, rain and cold temps aren't a problem terribly often. My pickup is 8 years old and just turned 40k miles yesterday, so it only gets 5k per year. The bikes get more.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote