Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I currently ride an older ('88 K75).
I've gotten the impression, rightly or wrongly, that a lot of posters ride on week-ends, only when the weather is good, just for fun, etc. In contrast, I've put nearly 6,000 miles on my bike in the past 4 months.......almost all in Phoenix city traffic, not that I would have preferred that. (although it sure as hell does save on gas)
I'll see if I can dig up some kind of trophy for you.

I dont, been riding 43 years and some of those years all I had was a bike, like a lot of things, being forced to ride with no other option took some of the shine off for me. I could ride as much away from work as I want, but I use it to explore and when I get bored with it I roll it in the garage until I decide to ride it again. Some years I ride 30,000 miles, some years I ride 5,000. It's not a life style for me.

Outside sales, couldnt ride one now daily if I wanted to, I doubt the company would cover me insurance wise if I was asking customer to ride bitch out for lunch.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,970
I ride no matter what and deal with everything mother nature can throw at me, as long as the temperature is above 70 and below 75. 73 is perfect, but I'll sometimes still ride even when it's 72.5. I'll ride in any weather as long as it's sunny. When I see a cloud my penis retracts into my body and I will ride immediately home. Hey, it can be dangerous out there! I once got caught out in some really foul weather, and when I got home found out it was actually 77.8 and partly cloudy! Holy cow, hope I never get caught in that again!

I've been riding for 4 decades and have covered 10's of miles!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I ride no matter what and deal with everything mother nature can throw at me, as long as the temperature is above 70 and below 75. 73 is perfect, but I'll sometimes still ride even when it's 72.5. I'll ride in any weather as long as it's sunny. When I see a cloud my penis retracts into my body and I will ride immediately home. Hey, it can be dangerous out there! I once got caught out in some really foul weather, and when I got home found out it was actually 77.8 and partly cloudy! Holy cow, hope I never get caught in that again!

I've been riding for 4 decades and have covered 10's of miles!

IBA 22425
Old 05-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #34
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
15,000 miles a year.

The Florida Keys have the least offensive weather of all, rarely above 95 and hardly ever below 65 except for short spells in winter. Rain falls mostly in the summer so my concern with staying dry on my 40 minute commute is on the way to work not coming home. Even on a bad day hypothermia isn't a consideration.
The views are great along the Overseas Highway in the Lower Keys even though the only road is straight and flat. And there isn,t much for 800 miles to the north. Driving a car everyday would drive me mad. Riding daily even on the same road keeps me sane.
I wish inmates had to list their annual riding mileage next to their signatures. It would give a better idea how much weight to give their opinions on riding and bikes.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
TUCKNKITTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I commute- about 60 miles daily give or take stopping for lunch. For me it's all about the gear- the right gear makes commuting a breeze but the wrong gear makes it suck a ball sack. I ride a GSA and a Duc SFS- and people are often bewildered when I tell them I ride everyday (unless there is ice) - but once you commit its easy. I'll say this sometimes during the early morning commute when I'd like to be drinking coffee or when it's hot and you show up a bit sweaty- it kinda sucks but those days are way out weighed by the fun days. Ymmv.

84 Honda Sabre (97/98)
79 KZ 750 LTD G (98/99)
93 FZR 600 (98/99)
03 ZRX1200R (02-04)
04 K1200RS (07-08)
05 HD Hardtail Special Construction (05-05-stolen)
71 HD Pan/Shovel 93 CU IN (05-09)
89 FXSTS 113 CU IN MONSTER) (2007-current)
06 K1200R 09-gone and I miss her

09 R1200GSA
TUCKNKITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #36
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Last few years, about 20,000/yr. on bikes. The brakes have rusted off my minivan 3 times over the last ten years.
Unfortunately, most of these miles are commuting between work and two households. But hey, it's still riding!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #37
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
If I didn't commute i'd ride hardly at all

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Damn Perterra, I think I might actually deserve a trophy! How you doin' Bud?
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #39
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Damn Perterra, I think I might actually deserve a trophy! How you doin' Bud?

Tired, had a flat today. Made me kinda cranky.

IBA 22425
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKNKITTY View Post
I commute- about 60 miles daily give or take stopping for lunch. For me it's all about the gear- the right gear makes commuting a breeze but the wrong gear makes it suck a ball sack. I ride a GSA and a Duc SFS- and people are often bewildered when I tell them I ride everyday (unless there is ice) - but once you commit its easy. I'll say this sometimes during the early morning commute when I'd like to be drinking coffee or when it's hot and you show up a bit sweaty- it kinda sucks but those days are way out weighed by the fun days. Ymmv.

Sure used to suck when they would put Blatz on sale for $3.33 a case and I couldntr get more than a case on the bike. Borrowed the company truck one time, bought ten cases. Sick to death of Blatz after that. Gear makes you comfortable for sure, but it doesnt fo much for your ability to run other errands.

IBA 22425
Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Cool2

I recieved my first bike on Aug.11th 2011. A brand new red Moto Guzzi V-7 Classic. I have ridden to work everyday to work with the exception of three days when the roads were icy. The temp. ranged from 17F-114F. I have ridden in rain snow and fog as well as some damn scary cross winds. The guys at work keep trying to tell me to get a car and maybe next year I will. But I happily ride my Guzzi 6-7 days a week the 21 miles to work and back ever day. And I am no youngster(53). But I try to ride as safe as I can and so far have only had one accident. I feel down when I was pulling into my dr.'s office at approx. 3mph. Noharm to me but snapped the end of my clutch handle.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #42
perterra
-. --- .--. .

The V7 is a nice looking bike, congrats on a nice first one.

IBA 22425
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #43
2004SuprGlide
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Seven days per week

72 mile round trip commute 6 days per week to and from work, on days off I ride through the foothills, and mountains. Lots of great riding here in So Cal.
2004SuprGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,286
I commute about 2-3 times a month.

I do most of my riding in canyons, 5-6k / year...

I once commuted everyday for three months, what an energy suck and stress creator... My commute has too much stop and go and too many cagers on phones....
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #45
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
About 20k per year

My old commute was 52 miles each way. Atlanta traffic sux. It would have been worse sitting in my minivan. At least I arrived at work with a smile every day and came home disconnected from work stress. Now I live 3 miles from work and telework too. My bike has turned into the grocery getter/errand runner. Mind you a loaf of bread can be found two hours away and a gallon of milk a few municipalities over. If I leave the house 9 times out of 10 it's on the bike. The car is only insured as a recreational vehicle for up to 7k miles a year.

Weekends it's up to the hills or out and about touring.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote