Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #61
jesionowski
Chicagoland Burgman

Oddometer: 135
The last 5 years over 100 rides per year in Chicagoland. March thru Nov. Will not ride with frost or lightning. Only 8 miles each way. But my 13 year old car is still around because of 400 plus less uses.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #62
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I try to ride every day. Living in southern NM the weather is usually nice enough. In the winter, I usually ride the K1200LT with the handgrips and seat on full heat. In the summer, I ride the KLR or the WR250. When it's dangerously windy, I ride the sidecar rig. When it snowed, I rode the CT90 to Wal-Mart. When it was 19 degrees outside with a touch of snow and ice still around, I rode my BMW Dakar in (before I sold it to an inmate last month). About the only time I don't ride is when it's raining cats and dogs. The cage needs to get started once in a while, eh?

Oh, and when I go home to visit the parents while on vacation? I ride the Sportster I bought just to stay sane!
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #63
maydaymike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
26k on 2 wheels in the past year, and less than 5k on 4 wheels. 115 mile round trip commute really runs up the mileage.

The thing is Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
maydaymike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #64
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by maydaymike View Post
26k on 2 wheels in the past year, and less than 5k on 4 wheels. 115 mile round trip commute really runs up the mileage.
I've been bike only since 2009. I'm sure I'll get another car/truck when I finish school again and get a real job, but I don't see it in the cards for a couple years yet. That having been said, I now live on Vancouver Island so I suppose there are worse places to be bike only. It rains (a lot) but I have gear for that, and on the two or three snowy/icy days a year I take the bus or walk.

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #65
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
I ride 7 days a week, year round. The only time the bike is is parked is when the roads are snow covered and icey.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #66
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
I ride every day that I can.

I have to, pretty much, since my car is a lease, and I don't want to deal with going over the mileage.

There is also the image thing. Pulling into school on a goldwing pretty much means that I ride every day, come hell or high water.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #67
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I was riding nearly full time until about a year ago, when I changed jobs within my company and discovered the true and insidious meaning of being "connected". I can't remember the last time I actually spoke with someone outside of a scheduled meeting or conference call. As my schedule permits, though, I ride every chance I get: For the half hour commute each way, nobody can contact me on my cellphone.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I've only driven the car to work three times since the end of February, but if I didn't ride to work I wouldn't ride much at all these days. My wife works a day job and I work 2nd shift and take care of the 1yo boy during the day. I haven't figured out a good way to bring him on the bike yet...Ural, maybe .... On the weekends when my wife is home and I can get a couple hours to myself, I'm more likely to go out on the bicycle.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #69
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 871
If it isn't raining, I'm on my bike. As well as playing a Tag game and the N. American Wild Card.

I'll put 15k miles a year between my 2 bikes, and thar was before playing tag!
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #70
LukeMacPU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I mostly commute at this point. Not far, roughly 35 miles/day. Ride the bike unless the roads are icy. Braved the snow a few times on the KLR, but that was pretty dangerous once the cages had packed it down and polished it! My Mrs. and 4 wee ones have seriously cut down my pleasure riding time.

Transitioning bikes now. Sold my XT225 and moved to a '75 Z1. Big difference. It had been stored for a decade before I got it. Runs fine now, but still needs paint. Found out it's prone to getting water in the ignition wiring and losing spark in the rain. Big fun pushing it back to the office! Hope to get that problem sorted...

For now, I'm a fair weather rider 'cause I hate pushing machines. Plan to resume riding rain/shine as soon as my bike can hack it.

1990 XT350
LukeMacPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #71
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Seven day's a week , when home off the ship . About 240 days a year .

Paul. 10 bikes no car .
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #72
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
I don't ride the Connie in snow and ice, but every other time I take the bike unless I'm getting something I can't carry on the bike or the bike is down for maintenance or mods.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #73
panzerrocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
When I'm home onshore from work, it's every day. Haven't had a car for 15 years.
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #74
Phineas
Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer: 161
For me it's a time issue. 45 minutes on my VFR, 2 or 3 hours in a car. Almost no matter what i take the bike. There are times after riding 400 miles through LA traffic all week when i put the bike in the garage on Friday night and say thank God i don't have to ride tomorrow. Usually some voice in my head gets me out of bed and up a canyon road on Sunday morning at which point it becomes thank God I get to ride tomorrow.
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #75
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Only time i dont ride is when its hailing, lightning, or ice. (Gets bad in TX) Nothing stops me. On the weekends i go ussualy 350+ miles out for fun. I have a 23 yr old Jeep that just sits. I get bitched at for driving an old car, but i would rather have new bikes than a new car payment.

Chris