Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Arclite OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Moving to Miami...Should I Sell my 2012 F800GS?

Moving to Miami, FL in a few months. From what I can see, it's swamps and no real ADV terrain out there.

I'll be traveling a lot, limiting my ability to venture to points north or west from Miami. It would be criminal to let an F800GS sit idle for 3yrs or so and/or just be ridden to/fro work.

So, what do you think...should I sell it? I'm thinking sell it out here in SoCal, and get a newer model when I return to SoCal.
'07 Honda CRF450X; '07 Honda CRF250R; '06 Husqvarna 450SMR; 04 Yamaha YZ250F; '01 Honda FTR223; '00 Kawasaki KZ1000P; '00 Suzuki SV650; '92 Honda VFR400; '86 Honda CR250
Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 5,170
I have no idea on the ADV riding....Sell it, buy a cheap street bike like the SV650 when you get there. When you return to SoCal, but an 800 adventure. Boom. That's what I'd do but that's just me.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
Jacan
Speedster

Oddometer: 14
Replying from Miami, no real legal places to ride, but you can do some touring to key west, naples and Orlando
Jacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
As a former Floridian, I say sell it.. The roads in florida are arrow straight😡😡

You need to venture north to Georgia before things start to happen..
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
toooldtocare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
A few months ago I moved from St Louis to DeLand Florida. I loved the back roads in the Midwest. So far in Florida, I have not even started my bike. I may sell it too.
toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
maxscycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
street tires

Quote:
It would be criminal to let an F800GS sit idle for 3yrs or so and/or just be ridden to/fro work.

Puts some decent 100% street tires on it and ride it.
Max
maxscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
gatorwesty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I like to think that every time I get on my bike it is an adventure. I am in Florida and I have never had any trouble finding some cool roads to explore. Get off the beaten path and discover your surroundings. Some of the coolest places are closest to home.
gatorwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Keep the knobbies on it and go down Alligator Alley and through the Everglades. You will find places to ride it as there is more than swamp there.

There is an old missile site somewhere down south in the Everglades that I remember was dirt for a good while. If I remember correctly it was put up during the Kennedy administration.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,498
There's some really cool off road riding in central/north central Florida, Ocala area. That's only a few hours away, head up Friday night, ride all weekend, head back late Sunday or early Monday. There's really great riding, on and off road, in north Georgia and the Appalachians, which isn't too far from you either. There are some really beautiful places in south Florida to ride to as well, pretty much any town on the gulf coast is going to be a great destination, and the Keys are stunningly beautiful. I currently have an F8GS, and I used to live in Florida, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Islamorada. If I was moving back I wouldn't hesitate to bring mine with me.

But, that having been said, there's a lot more on-road stuff than off-road. If you're willing to give up the off-road stuff, an SV650S with some cheap suspension upgrades and a nice set of soft luggage will let you do all of the same pavement/touring stuff and give you the option of doing some trackdays. There are a lot of tracks in Florida.

My recommendation would be to bring it. You can always sell it here and get a different bike, and then you'll only really be out the money you paid to bring it to Fl. If you sell it in SoCal you'll always wonder if you would have ridden it in Miami, and you'll probably regret selling the bike without finding out.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #10
Arclite OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Thanks all - It's likely I'm going to sell it.

Long rides on "arrow-straight" roads to get to far off riding destinations isn't in my wheel-house at present.

I'll probably get a new me sport bike and hit up Homestead Raceway whenever I can.

I'll still have my XR650R for those times I need to get off-road.

Thanks for all the replies!
'07 Honda CRF450X; '07 Honda CRF250R; '06 Husqvarna 450SMR; 04 Yamaha YZ250F; '01 Honda FTR223; '00 Kawasaki KZ1000P; '00 Suzuki SV650; '92 Honda VFR400; '86 Honda CR250
Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #11
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,498

Homestead, Moroso, Sebring, Daytona, Jennings, Roebling, Barber, you wont run out of fun places to ride.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote