User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
M3apx OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Denali D2 Installation

Purchased a '14 f700 a few weeks ago. Had the dealer install Denali D2 lights. There are two possible wiring configurations - dual intensity with the 100% intensity trigger wire connected to the bike's high beam headlight wire and the switched 12 volt power wire going to the bike's motorcycle running light wire (or any switched 12v power source), or, for high intensity only, the 100% intensity trigger wire and the switched 12v wire are both connected to the motorcycle low beam wire (which is bold text on the wiring diagram) or any 12v switched power source. I asked the dealer to wire the lights at high intensity rather than dual intensity. Well, went out riding this past week and one of the riders on a 1200gs had just installed D2's himself, and I was very surprised to see that his lights were considerably brighter than mine. I think my lights are somehow on low intensity only. I'm not all that good at wiring diagrams, so I'm trying to figure out how I ended up with low intensity only. Doesn't seem possible, but.....does anyone have experience with D2 installation and can give me some insight. I think I'll end up removing the fairings and trace the wiring this winter when I have some time to work on the bike, but perhaps someone has run into this before. Thanks.
M3apx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
1or2Cylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have and installed those lights. I configured mine for he dual intensity. Sounds like the wire that triggers the bright setting is left not connected.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I installed D2's recently. Outside of the two power terminals that connect to the battery from the relay box, there are only two other wires that need connecting. One is blue (intensity wire), the other is white (trigger wire).

For dual intensity the white wire is connected to something that turns on with the key, such as the low beam.

The blue wire is the intensity wire. It is normally attached to the wire leading to the high beam.

With this setup your lights will come on when the key is turned on, and the high intensity will come on when the high beam is selected.

The connector provided by Denali is a blue cylinder with a threaded ends on it. It has a small pin that pierces the wire you are tapping off of on one end. The other end is also threaded, and the blue or white (or both if you like) fits there.

Look inside your headlight housing and I believe you will find these wires and the blue connectors. Note, there are other ways to connect them, but I will not confuse the situation here, but I connected mine to work differently.

toooldtocare screwed with this post 10-22-2014 at 06:38 AM
toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
M3apx OP
n00b

Two good pieces of info from your posts - first, I now understand how the high intensity "trigger" wire is configured, and second, I have a better visual of the actual wiring and the colors of each wire. Also, it appears I can get to the harness without removing the fairings since it's all probably wired right behind the headlight assembly. Much clearer now. I really appreciate the help. Once I figure out what happened, I'll repost for anyone who runs into a similar problem. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Cdlabate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3apx View Post
Two good pieces of info from your posts - first, I now understand how the high intensity "trigger" wire is configured, and second, I have a better visual of the actual wiring and the colors of each wire. Also, it appears I can get to the harness without removing the fairings since it's all probably wired right behind the headlight assembly. Much clearer now. I really appreciate the help. Once I figure out what happened, I'll repost for anyone who runs into a similar problem. Thanks.
Write up with photos perhaps..?
Cdlabate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Do not know if this will help, since I wired mine differently. But, this is the blue connector, which I wired at first to be on full bright all the time. I used the GPS connector under the "tank" cover to control the lights, instead of going into the headlight. After I realized how bright the lights can be, I then added a second switch to drop the power for night riding. I did this by splitting the blue wire and putting in the switch. I like to run my Denali lights full bright during the day, no matter what the headlight is set to. This setup allows me to do that
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
M3apx OP
n00b

The photo definitely helps. I took a look a the bike tonight. Looks like all the wiring is behind the headlamp but I will need to take the fairings off to get full access. This will be my first time pulling the fairings off the f700. Did it many times on my g650 thumper so I can't imagine this will be all that different. Will be a bit of a puzzle the first time. Though the dealer charged $300 for the light installation (ouch), and I'm guessing that most of the labor was removing the fairings, so there must be some time involved. I'm still puzzled how they could have wired the lights so they're low intensity only. From the wiring diagram provided with the d2's, doesn't seem possible unless for some reason they didn't connect the high intensity trigger wire. But that would be odd. Looking forward to getting in there and seeing what they did. Should probably just go back to the dealer, tell them they screwed up, and have them do the fix. But they'll probably charge me but more importantly I would like to get the fairings off to get a better look at the overall layout.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Before you remove any plastic, remove the rear cover to the high beam headlight and see if you can find that blue connector. It twists off (only takes a bit of force to remove it). Once the cover is off you can see the connector to the bulb. If you do not see the blue connector attached to one of the wires, than you will have to start tracing the cable from the Denali relay box (which is probably mounted just behind the battery) to see where it goes. The connectors that Denali provide do not pierce smaller wires very well, they slip to the side. I had to remove a bit of insulation on mine to get it to make contact. That is what you may find too, it is there, just not making contact.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #9
M3apx OP
n00b

I now see where the dealer connected the blue connector/Posi-Tap. It's tapped to a large wrapped wire harness running under the front left side of the bike, directly behind the high beam - the blue/white wire is the Posi-Tap. The wrapped harness runs under a black fairing (right in front of the horn?). From the thickness of the wire - 1/8 inch or more - it's definitely not one single wire but is a wire harness. I'm guessing that the Posi-Tap isn't getting any power at all. Can the Posi-Tap even connect to something that thick? I'm guessing not. It will probably connect to a single wire, not a harness. And why would they try to connect it to a harness?? Does anybody know what that wiring harness is?

It's all a new learning experience and an opportunity to learn more about the new bike:):).

Sorry for the quality of the photo.

M3apx screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:25 PM