ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Please vote your situation & mileage AT FAILURE or multiple failures
NO failure - current mileage 0 - 20K miles 176 46.32%
NO failure - current mileage 20K - 40K miles 88 23.16%
NO failure - current mileage 40K - 60K miles 20 5.26%
NO failure - current mileage 60K+ miles 0 0%
YES - one failure at: 0 - 20K miles 11 2.89%
YES - one failure at: 20K - 40K miles 47 12.37%
YES one failure at: 40K - 60K miles 21 5.53%
YES one failure at: 60K+ miles 7 1.84%
MULTIPLE FAILURES 10 2.63%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #76
Dr.Science
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Electrosport stator

Stock stator died at 20,788 miles. Not a dramatic failure, the old stator didn't burn up, but it's quite dead. Replaced with new ElectroSport unit, which cost $218 with shipping - quite a bit more reasonable than the $953 plus tax and shipping that BMW is now charging (US$ exchange rates) to replace their badly designed part. Will report here if/when the ElectroSport part fails.

BTW I ride most of the time in cold/wet weather (have never ridden this bike in what I would call hot weather), often at pretty moderate revs (90% in the 2800-4000 rpm range), but this unit failed earlier than most. After the first 20 miles on the new stator, the alternator cover was hot enough to be boiling off the rain falling on it. Just an observation.
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #77
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Science View Post
Stock stator died at 20,788 miles. Not a dramatic failure, the old stator didn't burn up, but it's quite dead. Replaced with new ElectroSport unit, which cost $218 with shipping - quite a bit more reasonable than the $953 plus tax and shipping that BMW is now charging (US$ exchange rates) to replace their badly designed part. Will report here if/when the ElectroSport part fails.

BTW I ride most of the time in cold/wet weather (have never ridden this bike in what I would call hot weather), often at pretty moderate revs (90% in the 2800-4000 rpm range), but this unit failed earlier than most. After the first 20 miles on the new stator, the alternator cover was hot enough to be boiling off the rain falling on it. Just an observation.
20K? Was the warranty up based on time?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #78
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
If someone knows how, they can change my vote from no failure to "failed at 20-40k. My first F8GS, long ago sold, had its stator fail last week. The owner is afraid of computers and not on this forum.

I felt bad for the guy as he lives a cool life style that leaves him no major repair money, so I rewound his alternator myself. We will see how long this one lasts but I'm betting forever as I used magnet wire with an operating range beyond the flash point of the oil lol.

But do change my vote if possible as it is now most definantly incorrect.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #79
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Just curious what is considered the normal lifespan of the average motorcycle stator?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #80
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
If someone knows how, they can change my vote from no failure to "failed at 20-40k. My first F8GS, long ago sold, had its stator fail last week. The owner is afraid of computers and not on this forum.

I felt bad for the guy as he lives a cool life style that leaves him no major repair money, so I rewound his alternator myself. We will see how long this one lasts but I'm betting forever as I used magnet wire with an operating range beyond the flash point of the oil lol.

But do change my vote if possible as it is now most definantly incorrect.
Hey Joel!
I the idiot that "started" this Poll/Thread, and I'll be damned if I see any way to update votes....
If someone can tell me how to do it, I have several votes that need to be re-cast...

In OTHER news... my OEM stator now has 30K miles on it... and I have a 6K mile trip planed for this summer...

I have a new side cover gasket on hand in case I need it and plan go inspect it soon.... I want to install the CE 605 SB regulator so as to quit burning up my stator and also to raise charging voltage to better value (I have the old crappy lower voltage R/R), and maybe replace OEM stator if it looks bad.... (likely would use the Electrosport unit).

Joel: if you have a second, I have an Electrical Engineer friend with Oscope (and maybe Harmonic Analyzer) that has agreed to help me test out and post results of the series unit - give a shout here or PM me with any data you think should be captured!
THANKS!

PS: Here's the regulator I'm thinking about:
http://roadstercycle.com/Roadstercyc...Regulators.htm

JRWooden screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:34 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #81
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
hmm... how did this thread slip my attention?

so, my stator goat toasted during my road trip across S.America, at the time I was in Ecuador, the bike had ~ 55k kilometers.

Please, can someone change the vote? I voted
"YES one failure at: 40K - 60K miles" but I meant "YES one failure at: 20K - 40K miles", I got carried away (miles / kilometers )

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #82
GSman
Ride far to new places...

Oddometer: 19
2009 F650GS Twin stator failure @52,000 miles

No catastrophic failure per se, the stator simply quietly stopped charging the battery during a ride and left my wife stranded in the middle of nowhere in Arizona 3 hours into a ride when the battery was finally drained out by electric fuel pump, electric fuel injection, computer, permanent headlight, etc.
2006 KTM 525 EXC
Iron Butt Association - A weekend gets good after 1,000 miles...
GSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #83
Dr.Science
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
20K? Was the warranty up based on time?
Warranty was up - it was a 2009 model (I'm actually third owner, bought it 16 months ago with 5K on the clock).
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #84
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Science View Post
Warranty was up - it was a 2009 model (I'm actually third owner, bought it 16 months ago with 5K on the clock).
Shame on those 1st 2 owners... probably went bad out of spite.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #85
bumbee800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
failed at 45000km

Mine failed today, just before a long trip planned for this weekend. I have ordered a new electrosport stator. I will be putting that on with the a compufire series regulator. I had a battery bug voltage display that saved me from being stranded, as it showed me the stator was slowly failing.

This issue however will always be on mine when I go to remote areas, where a failure would be very expensive to fix and could leave me stranded in a very remote area. I am disappointed with BMW. They should at least be selling the replacement new design rotors at cost, instead of ridiculous price they are charging.
bumbee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #86
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbee800 View Post
I am disappointed with BMW. They should at least be selling the replacement new design rotors at cost, instead of ridiculous price they are charging.
That ... IMHO would be a nice "meet me half-way" gesture...
I'm sure it will never happen, but if BMW announced a program where-in you could buy a new stator, ventilated rotor, and the flywheel puller bolt for $900 and upon return of your old rotor they would refund a (say) $600 as the "core charge" I'd be one happy camper ... but I don't expect that to happen ....

I have also converted to a series style R/R as well, but used the unit produced by Cycle Electric & sold
by http://roadstercycle.com - nice folks! They don't give me a commission or anything, but I have several thousand miles on the clock since conversion and all is well.
Thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890729

JRWooden screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 08:35 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #87
Heos racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
42.000 km,
Greetings from Germany
Heos racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #88
drid
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Being another stator failure victim (I did vote) i decided to rewind the stator coils my self.
While unwinding the burned coil wire I noticed something weird regarding each coil's wire turns. Instead of all coils having the same turn count, it actually varies alternating to 42 and 44 turns of wire.
1st coil 44turns
2nd coil 42 turns
3rd coil 44 turns
And so on...
One coil had 47 and another one 45 but let's say I counted these two wrong.
I have cleaned the stator from cracked and burned varnish by marinating it in a bowl full of paint remover ( thanks IKEA for creating a bowl the size of my stator).
Now I am about to start winding the coils and I wonder whether I should use the same winding pattern or wind all coils to 44 turns.
drid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #89
drid
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Did anyone get some kind of warning that there is something wrong with the charging system?
I would expect that the yellow warning triangle would provide a warning.... But it didn't....
This doubles my disappointment for BMW.
drid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #90
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
Nope. The bike has no built in way to provide a voltage warning.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote