ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Please vote your situation & mileage AT FAILURE or multiple failures
NO failure - current mileage 0 - 20K miles 166 49.11%
NO failure - current mileage 20K - 40K miles 80 23.67%
NO failure - current mileage 40K - 60K miles 18 5.33%
NO failure - current mileage 60K+ miles 0 0%
YES - one failure at: 0 - 20K miles 10 2.96%
YES - one failure at: 20K - 40K miles 37 10.95%
YES one failure at: 40K - 60K miles 18 5.33%
YES one failure at: 60K+ miles 4 1.18%
MULTIPLE FAILURES 5 1.48%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #106
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I'd say something is going bad that's for sure, but I would not jump to conclusion that it is the stator without doing some checking ....

Could be stator, R/R, maybe battery, or bad connections somewhere ...

Some nice diagnostic guides here:
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...agnosis-center

Good stuff in this thread also:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...77&postcount=5

Good luck hunting it down, it can be tricky sometimes ...
One of the guys here had a R/R that would intermittently freak out...
Thanks JR... I am thinking something wonky...Ride to work 12.5...Ride home from work 13.9-14.0
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #107
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post

Have I ever told you how much I luv ya? Thank you very much for that Jim!
No problem ... one of these days I'm going to get my a$$ in a deep jam, and I know before it happens y'all will be firguring out how to get me a new stator in Peru or a new FPC in Columbia....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #108
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Thanks JR... I am thinking something wonky...Ride to work 12.5...Ride home from work 13.9-14.0
are you using heated clothing / higher load on the way in?
Could just be heat building up in the engine ....
whatever it is ... it just ain't right.........................
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #109
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
are you using heated clothing / higher load on the way in?
Could just be heat building up in the engine ....
whatever it is ... it just ain't right.........................
Nope nothing different. She has 60K miles on her, just gonna ride her till she stops.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #110
Heos racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
My first warning was the information display going bonkers and the ABS light coming on. But I rode on for another 120 miles
So did mine.
Greetings from Germany
Heos racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #111
paddlinfool
3rd midlife crisis

Oddometer: 15
Laugh

I think my stator is dying a slow death. There seems to be just enough to keep the bike running, but not enough to give the battery cranking amps. I do have a Wunderlich battery cable/booster set up installed (that I thought I'd never use but am I ever glad its there...) I've had to jump her 3 times...I'm not going to push my luck. My local BMW dealer is going to try and see if he can get a new stator goodwilled from BMW as she is only 3 months outside of warranty. Funny thing, when he looked up availability, there where none in Canada and only 4 in Germany. That tells a story! All the 09/10's are burnin up! Fingers crossed! Here's some background info....3 long distance hauls averaging 7000 miles, the rest just local stuff. Total of 32,000 miles. One trip was summer of 2012, 20 straight 10 hour days of 100 plus degree heat. Maybe that sent it on its way? I can't imagine the insane heat generated around the stator on that trip. I don't run anything other than 2 55w halogens, a GPS and a tiny little amp for my XM radio......oh, and they've quoted $1250.00 for parts and 3 hours labour. Come onnnn BMW! Do me right and accept that you've used BS stators in your f800's !!!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #112
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Have you load tested the battery ?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #113
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Have you load tested the battery ?
Ditto on the battery though it's a chicken or egg thing now. If the battery wasn't bad, it is now after all of this or at the least it's service life is greatly shortened.

Good luck and know that regardless of what is or isn't said, BMW knows they had a design flaw with the old stator and has their fingers crossed for the updated design.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #114
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
My vote needs to be moved to "Multiple failures"

First one was at 17000 miles, second was at 27000 miles. I'm just lucky it was within 2 years of the original failure
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #115
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 638
Lately I have noticed (via my installed Battery Bug) that my idling voltage is fluctuating between 14.1 to 14.3 volts. But, at any RPM over idle, the voltage fluctuates between 13.7 and 13.9 volts. It seems that when I installed the BB over a year ago, the voltage always fluctuated consistently between 13.7 and 14.0 volts, regardless of RPMs. Is the recent change in idling voltage a potential indicator of impending stator failure? Why is it higher at idle than when the engine is turning faster?

I'm electrically retarded...
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #116
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
Lately I have noticed (via my installed Battery Bug) that my idling voltage is fluctuating between 14.1 to 14.3 volts. But, at any RPM over idle, the voltage fluctuates between 13.7 and 13.9 volts. It seems that when I installed the BB over a year ago, the voltage always fluctuated consistently between 13.7 and 14.0 volts, regardless of RPMs. Is the recent change in idling voltage a potential indicator of impending stator failure? Why is it higher at idle than when the engine is turning faster?

I can't explain it adequately but both our bikes have a higher idle voltage similar to what you wrote. If you were experiencing impending failure, typically one phase of three quits first. Turn everything on and plug in a heated vest or something for a simple load check and see what the voltage does.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #117
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post

When you start seeing 12s is when you have to worry.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #118
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 638
Thanks guys.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #119
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Just had a strange conversation with a Service Writer.

OK, now that I have a real voltmeter on the bike, I can have some hard information to worry about.

So, bringing my bike down to Calif in November, Im in some pretty chilly weather ranging from 35F to 40F for the first couple of days. With all my stuff on (jacket liner, grips and spot lights) and drawing max 140 watts, which should be nowhere near maximum, I keep a close eye on the voltage anyhow. This is what I saw all at highway speeds:

Most of the time (once voltage recovered after starting) the voltage rapidly fluctuated between 13.3 to 14.1 and over the day would usually deteriorate to a range of 13.1 to 14. The rapid fluctuations would be the heated gear cycling and Im thinking this range is OK

Every once in awhile (2 or 3 times a day) the range would suddenly drop down to 12.25 to 12.85 for a period of roughly 10 15 minutes and then recover. This seems weird to me as the only thing I could think of that would cause such a drop would be the fan coming on which I doesnt make any sense at low temperatures and at speed.

When I got into California and it started to warm up, I turned everything off and the voltage would only recover to 13.85 and before leveling off for the rest of the day

The next day I went for a bit of a ride in the morning (low 60s) with everything off and it quickly shot up to 14.3 volts and stayed there

Battery voltage in the morning before starting is 13.7
Now reading these threads, it seems the minimum voltage I should see is nothing below either 13.6 volts or 12.8 volts . . . depending on who you talk to . . . before I see bad stuff happen to my electrical system.

So, two things stand out to me that seem to be out of whack: 1) The periodic drop down to 12.25 12.85 and 2) The one time when the system couldnt get a voltage over 13.85 with everything off.

Unfortunately, I forgot my multi-meter on my way down but will have it when I go back so I have not had a chance to check the stator. Ill have it with me when I go back and will try to check it right off the bat. Im heading down to Mexico so to be cautious I decided to book an appointment with the dealership to have them check it out also and will give some extra time in case they need to order some parts.

Booking my appointment with the service writer and describing the problem and what I wanted done, the service writer asked me how my battery was. I told him I have an AntiGravity 16 cell lithium and he immediately said that was probably the problem. We have tons of bikes coming in with similar problems and they are fixed once we replace the lithium with an OEM battery. WTF . . . I said to myself. Asked him how a battery would cause fluctuations like that and his response was I dont know how it works but I do know in the real world that this has been the main solution to these problems. Im going to assume he is an idiot and hopefully their mechanics have a bit more knowledge than he does. This is a large dealership and seems to have a pretty good reputation so, Ill remain positive about it.

Any comments about my fluctuating voltages or the service writers comments?
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #120
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
for a weird problem any mechanic will first want to take it back to stock condition. then you can add the mods and see which one causes the issue. The OE spent a lot of time trying to make it right, testing, fixing.

the battery does a lot of noise filtering, and the regulator set point can be affected by noise. More or less noise than OE.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote