Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
Jack you really need to publish this stuff. It's all too good to languish here on ADVRIDER only.
Egads, NO! Outsiders who have visited the Great Land have already discovered that, collectively, the Alaskan inmates are a few dogs shy of a full team. Would you really want to broadcast that to the whole world?
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #32
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants View Post
An excellent write up on preparing to ride a motorcycle not just to Alaska but anywhere, really. If this information sinks in we may never see another 11 page thread on tire selections for Alaska. Basically what you're saying is that if your bike doesn't say the word 'Adventure' somewhere on the gas tank or body work, don't even attempt the trip.

Piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Au contraire, my friend. The name on the bike is immaterial. It is the rider who makes a bike an "Adventure" bike. The bike does not make the rider an "Adventure" rider. A prime example of that: DaBinChe
I think PP has it right. For example your Adventure Goldwing Jack (insert picture of water crossing here.....).
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Au contraire, my friend. The name on the bike is immaterial. It is the rider who makes a bike an "Adventure" bike. The bike does not make the rider an "Adventure" rider. A prime example of that: DaBinChe
I had every intention of riding my Hayabusa up but I got talked out of it......
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
...So what's wrong with the answer above? To me it seems quite logical.

Quote:
Did you ever learn this equation in school: being female = being logical?
Emm ... no. Not in or out of school. Can you find a male that agrees with that?

Did you get my PM?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #35
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
................. being female = being logical

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #36
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 368
Jack, my 'adventure' remark was just blatant sarcasm. I too agree that it ain't the boat, it's the captain. My initial ride to AK was aboard a bike that said 'Super Sport' on the gas tank. It was a $700 1980 CB750F ridden from NC to AK. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465713 is a report that exemplifies the right ethic of adventure touring.

Peace
Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPants View Post
Jack, my 'adventure' remark was just blatant sarcasm. I too agree that it ain't the boat, it's the captain. My initial ride to AK was aboard a bike that said 'Super Sport' on the gas tank. It was a $700 1980 CB750F ridden from NC to AK. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465713 is a report that exemplifies the right ethic of adventure touring.

Peace
Piston
Gotcha. Although with the home crowd here we're preaching to the choir.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #38
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 368
Oh, and learn to deal with riding in shrieking gusty unpredictable wind to survive yer Alaska adventure.

Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Lmao

Great thread, you guys are hilarious! Will be heading up that way mid June on my KLR and wouldn't mind meeting a few of you guys. My son lives in Fairbanks and have driven up there 4 times and spent the last couple of summers up there since retiring, towing a 29 ft. 5th wheel. So thought I would do something different this year and ride the trusty steed up and leave the wife behind. Plan on doing the Dalton since I have only been as far as the arctic circle and the wife said she never wanted to do that road again, it was only a little rainy still trying to get all of the mud off the truck. Pretty much have seen everything else except maybe Anchorage, but if I want to see a city I can always go to Seattle.

Hope this summer is a little better up there, last summer sucked with all of the rain. Hope to CU guys up there

Ron
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
Kul Mom
aka sKul Marm

Oddometer: 360
Trading Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7tbt View Post
Great thread, you guys are hilarious! Will be heading up that way mid June on my KLR and wouldn't mind meeting a few of you guys. My son lives in Fairbanks and have driven up there 4 times and spent the last couple of summers up there since retiring, towing a 29 ft. 5th wheel. So thought I would do something different this year and ride the trusty steed up and leave the wife behind. Plan on doing the Dalton since I have only been as far as the arctic circle and the wife said she never wanted to do that road again, it was only a little rainy still trying to get all of the mud off the truck. Pretty much have seen everything else except maybe Anchorage, but if I want to see a city I can always go to Seattle.

Hope this summer is a little better up there, last summer sucked with all of the rain. Hope to CU guys up there

Ron
Ron-
Sedro-Woolley? Looks like we will be trading places. I leave on Monday to come down and ride around visiting family and friends. My nephew is the brewer at the North Fork in Deming. Of course I'll have to be back in time for D2D.
-KM
Kul Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

You may be heading back up about the same time I'm heading up. I'm solo to Dawson Creek where I will be meeting another rider I met on the KLR650.net forum. Could use a little company if it works out, if not, we have a rather active group of inmates here in the Skagit Valley, join us for a burger and beer.

Ron
Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You may be heading back up about the same time I'm heading up. I'm solo to Dawson Creek where I will be meeting another rider I met on the KLR650.net forum. Could use a little company if it works out, if not, we have a rather active group of inmates here in the Skagit Valley, join us for a burger and beer.

Ron
Belay my last, that is Navy talk, just checked the D2D dates and and you will be atleast a week ahead of me, supposed to meet someone Dawson Creek on June 24th so won't leave until around the 22nd. Anyway, if you have some extra time and want to meet some ADVr's from the lower 48 and share some lies, text me or post on the Northwet regional forum. Cell hr is 360-708-2778, lousy cell service so text is much preferred.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #43
Kul Mom
aka sKul Marm

Oddometer: 360
So You'll Miss D2D?

Quote:
Belay my last, that is Navy talk, just checked the D2D dates and and you will be atleast a week ahead of me, supposed to meet someone Dawson Creek on June 24th so won't leave until around the 22nd. Anyway, if you have some extra time and want to meet some ADVr's from the lower 48 and share some lies, text me or post on the Northwet regional forum. Cell hr is 360-708-2778, lousy cell service so text is much preferred.
Bummer! We would miss each other anyway. I'm coming back via the Marine Highway from Prince Rupert. Will contact you when I get down there.
-KM
Kul Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #44
LDRydr
S10 Pilot

Oddometer: 136
Thanks for your post Jack. I'm headed to the shredder now to destroy my June itinerary.

See you in Glenallen June 30th?

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -- Helen Keller
LDRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Jack knows Alaska. His advice is right on.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote