Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #136
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
I contacted the Police Department in a town where we wanted to practice and was directed to the County Judge Executive that administers to the lot that we want to use, directly in front of the police department, and have received permission to ride on their property.

I felt that this was amazing and intend to honor their trust in our group. This is the first time practicing in this area and my first time with official permission to ride. Before this, I practiced alone in a school lot near my home. I believe this location is also in view of the county court house but I haven't been on site, yet. I used Google maps to pick the location because it's an hour ride for me to get there, and more than an hour for two of the participants joining me.

We're riding in Bardstown, KY, in Nelson County. I have been practicing alone and have two people, women, that have expressed interest in joining in, so I'm meeting them half way between each of us. Anyone interested in join us is welcome. We will be riding at 11:00 am EST on Sunday, June 10th, at 212 Plaza Dr., Bardstown, KY 40004. Just look for the cones!
You may have quite a coup their. Socially responsible, self advancing, skill endorsing bikers. Whatever next? Good job that man!
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #137
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I can't comment on the tire selection as I never done this on this type of a tire, but people have been riding on knobbies and enduro tires pretty successfully.

video courtessy of amgrass.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O1JLGzDUh4w

Look at that KTM go in the beginning of the clip! Every time I watch this video, it makes my day seeing that beast move like that. Respect !

My personal advice from watching your videos is to be smoother with the throttle. You really don't need to be constantly on/ off the gas, smooth and even throttle will keep the bike stable. Constant power to the rear will keep the bike from falling over, even in the tightest of turns. I personally run any type of Gymkhana course without any clutch slipping / friction zone. If your bike stalls or jerks at low rpms and you can not keep a steady throttle, use some friction zone to smooth it. Lots of rear brake, to control the speed and tighten the turns. Stay away from the front brake for now.

Steer with your knees. Try to relax arms as much as possible and in the turn, dig your outer knee into the tank and push your inner foot into the peg. Feel the motion of the bike as it leans over, and feel how the bars behave and let them do their thing.

Maybe a good thing would be to find a bit more room, and just run some lazy figure eights. Just getting the bike into the turn without any brakes or clutch going. Do it slow enough to be comfortable with it and not tense up, just relax and turn turn turn. Gradually try to tighten up the turns while either maintaining same speed or even slowing down a bit. As long as you are relaxed you can feel what bike is doing under you.

Good practice, keep at it!
This is good stuff ! Watching dave carve with the ktm (and a fridge on back) is awesome.

Pushing heavy into the steering lock feels great and makes for good, tight turns. The hardest part is smooth throttle control (to me) through the range of sweeping the bars back and forth.

Just got back playing in crap traction (deep gravel) to try and learn more.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #138
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

My g/f dragged me out on Monday for a play, bless her, she set up a very tight course. I laughed but she cleaned it 3rd attempt. I opened it right up to give us more space & speed. Everything must have gelled, for the first time I managed to really move around on the bike, weighting it properly & using the throttle a lot more rather than bimbling. Admittedly I was on the wee bike but it felt fantastic to finally click with the throttle, rear brake & body position. I also found myself looking way,way ahead to pick my line out of turns for the next move rather than half worrying were am I now & were I want to go.

Yeah, felt bloody marvellous!

Just about no chicken strips on the back now too & only a slight issue with the front washing out due to me being jerky.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #139
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
HK: Good ridin'! What you describe is exactly what I was working on last Sunday. Came close a time or two. It's sweet when it locks in place and you come around a good turn on the right line for the next cone!
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #140
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
I'm gonna do this this evening...

I have a bunch of old tennis balls that I can cut in half to make "mini-cones"
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #141
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post

Wanna play? I am not too far away.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #142
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

That's what we use. Very handy for us n00bs, you can ride over the top of them....
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #143
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
A post by Motogymkhanaman over at Amgrass forums:

"We often get told by people encountering Moto Gymkhana for the first time that they have done a bit of slow riding practice, so therefore it shouldn't be too difficult. I always have fun telling them that Moto Gymkhana is not about slow riding, but instead is about maximum riding. Maximum lean angle, maximum throttle, maximum brake, maximum rate of direction change, maximum steering angle, maximum skill, maximum ability and above all maximum fun!! I have to tell them that it is true that we don't actually end up travelling very fast, but everything happens so very quickly that even at less than 20mph it feels like we are going fast and that is what makes it so enjoyable. "

Loved it, sharing it here.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #144
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
There is some really good info being posted on amgrass.com forums, but to keep this thread alive for people to discover this sport, here are a few really cool videos:

SloMo for the win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fCMf...ure=plpp_video

Good riding outside of sponsored events.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWQY...ure=plpp_video

Figure 8 riding by a PRO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoqg...ure=plpp_video

More SlowMo fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZicd...feature=relmfu

Pretty intense slalom, I think its actually a road test, not even Gymkhana.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gd-T...eature=related

Gymkhana Dance!!! Rider riding the course in his head before the competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI3OxtNCb0A&feature=plcp

More Scooter Fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om99a...eature=related

Vulfy screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 08:57 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #145
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Vulfy, you are a bad person. I can see me dropping the bike this weekend....... Determination outweighing talent....
Commitment, smoothness, momentum, control. Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #146
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Wanna play? I am not too far away.
I didn't get a chance, sorry. I was playing a "ride game"... and now I'm going to DC for the weekend, without my bike :(

We should get all the locals together for this one day though.

20120614-IMG_0845 by Southwade, on Flickr
Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #147
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Great movies, especially the slow motions.

I just received my 8 small pions, next weekend some practice with some friends.
One guy is going to bring his camera, but it won't be as spectacular as the other movies hier.
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #148
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_ice View Post
Great movies, especially the slow motions.

I just received my 8 small pions, next weekend some practice with some friends.
One guy is going to bring his camera, but it won't be as spectacular as the other movies hier.
We are heading out this afternoon, with the camera. So, it will be slow motion without the editing trickery

Ah well, we are loving it & slowly getting more competent. The time we spend practising has brought my n00b girlfriend on in leaps & bounds. A few month ago she could not do a u turn in an 8 mtr wide road without having palpitations, she is now doing 360's in less than 5 mtrs, the wee bugger is just chucking the bike around, I'm so proud of her. She is nearly 50 by the way & had never ridden a bike until this last year.
Keep up the good work all!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #149
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
I didn't get a chance, sorry. I was playing a "ride game"... and now I'm going to DC for the weekend, without my bike :(

We should get all the locals together for this one day though.
I couldn't have made it either. You are right we should get the locals together.

For now, I have some cones in my backyard.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #150
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
@nuggets, don't you mean that you have cones in your schoolyard ;)

@Harvey Krumpet, first we are going to watch the "ride like a pro" DVD.
After it we go to the location where also my bicycle will be and I let them try the "ride like a pro"-techniques on my cheap bicycle. I tried it yesterday and I could manage a figure 8 in just 1 parking thingy (and that's in europe, you americands have bigger cars :P ).
After it the simple U-turn and stuff building up to the GP8 and the 100ft gymkhana course.

I could not figure out smaller baby steps without using minibikes ;)

liquid_ice screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 05:51 AM
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote