Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #1501
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Notice that it's the middle finger he's using.
Yup, less power.. Maybe so he can sneek a little front brake to help tuck into the corner???

Or just a one finger salute to the camera!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #1502
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 563
I got fascinated by trying to understand the camera system used.

Still not sure I do.

Shadows suggest it's on a balance beam on his helmet but how it gets rotated to the desired angles at the desired time???
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #1503
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
I got fascinated by trying to understand the camera system used.
It could be something like this
www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Gopro-hero-2-hero-3-helmet-swivel-.....
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #1504
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post

Shadows looked similar from a teeter-totter standpoint but the crossbar was much, much , thinner.

And how was it rotated so that it didn't seem to be pointing randomly? Perhaps those parts were cut and the fender forward video substituted?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #1505
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
The 'Fairy' as our Japanese friends call it, was made from an old golf club which was attached to the helmet by way of a furniture caster with the wheel removed and the shaft bolted onto the pivot.

The thing just spins around according to any outside forces, so the results are always different.

There's a video of how I made one on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #1506
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Quote:
The 'Fairy' as our Japanese friends call it, was made from an old golf club which was attached to the helmet by way of a furniture caster with the wheel removed and the shaft bolted onto the pivot.
Very cool! I just learned something today. :-)
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #1507
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,745
Land of Pleasant Living Idiots (that's Baltimore) presents;
What; Gymkhana practice session
When; Saturday, October 26th, 1pm.
Where; Unused DOT lot, lat/long - 39.416718,-76.666376
Who; Whomever is free & wants to show up & ain't skeered.
Why Practice makes perfect.

We'll do a figure-8 & maybe this layout if we haven't dropped our bikes too many times. Oh yeah;

BE YE WARNED; You will probably drop your bike doing this.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #1508
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Dropping your bike during your first forays into Moto Gymkhana - fact or fiction?

Quite often when we do Moto Gymkhana displays at shows and exhibitions a lot of riders tell us that "I won't do that because I don't want to drop my bike". On the face of it appears to be a quite sensible reaction considering the activity that's going on in the arena, but when you begin to analyse the statement it soon becomes clear what these riders are actually telling you.

When we watch a half decent rider doing their thing out on course we see that they get some serious lean angles even though they're not going very fast, they have visible movement in the steering and they are making heavy use of the throttle and brakes. Most riders however would have never got their bikes anywhere near these control inputs out on the road, let alone in a car park so there is a disonance between what they see and what they 'know' they can do.

A lot of riders can accept this disonant state as being an indication that they will have much to learn and it will take a lot of time and effort before they will be able to do what they see others being able to do. For other riders all they see in this disonant state is that if the activity is even attempted there is bound to come a time when they will be forced outside of their comfort zone. They like staying in their comfort zone because they 'know' that they are not going to crash if they stay well within it and any activity that looks like it will take them outside of that zone will automatically be assumed to lead to a crash. This is the reason why this type of rider will say "I won't do that because I don't want to drop my bike", not because he will drop the bike but because he thinks he will drop the bike.

As it turns out most riders manage to stay on their bikes quite easily the first few times they attempt a Moto Gymkhana course and they only start to fall when they really start to push at the edges of the envelope. As this envelope pushing only happens when the riders are almost completely hooked on the sport, they see crashing as just being no more than an occupational hazard.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #1509
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Dropping your bike during your first forays into Moto Gymkhana - fact or fiction?
I agree, as a novice at this game myself, we all start by thinking, this looks like a quick way to crash my nice bike.

I did an informal count of the very few bike spills we had during this years New York sessions. Almost without exception none of them were the feared low side front end wash out due to sliding tires or the big high side due to too much throttle.

The main cause of the guys getting into trouble was probably being too cautious on a tight turn and actually going too slowly for the amount of lean they were attempting, resulting in the bike simply laying down at about 8 mph.

I know one of our troupe (who I shan't name :-) managed a genuine low side flipping into a high side on his Suzuki SV650, but tells me he was no doing a Moto-Gymkhana exercise at the time, so it doesn't count
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #1510
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,745
Well, we'll see. I plan on doing some filming with ye olde iphone, so we'll know if it's Drop City or not. I've definitely had a wide variety of riders tell me they'll show up.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #1511
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza View Post
i know one of our troupe (who i shan't name :-) managed a genuine low side flipping into a high side on his suzuki sv650, but tells me he was no doing a moto-gymkhana exercise at the time, so it doesn't count
lol
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #1512
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:

Fiction, for experienced riders. They know when to apply more throttle, and costing is bad.

Fact for riders pushing their own envelope of experience.

But it's just a bike, pick it up
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #1513
Michael R.
n00b

Oddometer: 5
What do you think you makes a better gymkhana bike:

1) Suzuki DRZ400SM
2) A street bike (say CBR500R) with Japanese gymkhana crash bars like these:
http://zrx-drz.at.webry.info/201309/article_2.html

The DR-Z is tough as nails, but you still hit the handlebars on a drop. The CBR500R just lands on the bars instead, though I'm guessing the electronics don't like being jostled around as much.
Michael R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #1514
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
What do you think you makes a better gymkhana bike:

1) Suzuki DRZ400SM
2) A street bike (say CBR500R) with Japanese gymkhana crash bars like these:
http://zrx-drz.at.webry.info/201309/article_2.html

The DR-Z is tough as nails, but you still hit the handlebars on a drop. The CBR500R just lands on the bars instead, though I'm guessing the electronics don't like being jostled around as much.
Don't worry about the electrics, they'll be fine. A dual sport with crash bars like what you posted would be very tough.

Let your daily riding preferences decide, either bike will be fine out there on gk sets.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #1515
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Michael R asks a quite common question as people will always think that one type of bike is better at Moto Gymkhana than another. You only have to walk down pitlane at a Japanese Moto Gymkhana competition to be amazed at the enormous range of bikes that are being used and if any one type of bike was better at Moto Gymkhana then you would expect that type to be in the majority. This may be slightly true for the NSR250R, but that bike has deep cultural significance in Japan so you would expect to see quite a few of them.

Each type of bike will have advantages and disadvantages, but the course designer usually takes these differences into account so that the overall time is entirely down to the skill of the rider.

The best bike FOR Moto Gymkhana is the one you are riding IN Moto Gymkhana!