Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #196
kabluie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thanks Liquid Ice. It felt good to do the turns.

I'm hoping that with more practice I will start to relax a little more and then it will get easier. I've dropped the bike once before at a stop on a side sloping hill. There was no damage aside from a scratch or two and a major dent in my pride (grin), but the real problem is picking the bike up afterwards. 600lbs is a lot of bike. I know the drill, grab the frame, lift with my legs, try not to let it go too far the other way and then drop it again. So I'm in the market for something like a Yamaha TW200. I've had several people tell me that would be a fun bike and good for trails too. Like most short people, I'm sleek low and racy with a 29" inseam so I like low bikes.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #197
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
So is it the heat, or are you guys feeling the novelty wearing off?

Where is everybody at with their progress and questions? Whats happening? Any good news, faster times, beaten records?

I cracked a bracket on the foot peg, so waiting for the replacement part from ebay to come in. So I've been grounded for a week or so.

Prior to that, I finally received my lap timer. Makes a great deal of difference in practice. Before that, I would have to wait to get home to evaluate my progress, from the video recordings. Now its real time. The down-side, pushing a bit too hard, trying to catch that perfect run. I have to pace myself back a bit. More form, less balls in the beginning of the session.

Lets revive this thread a bit.

Any new folk reading this, and getting interested, don't be shy, dive in and start asking questions, or sharing your experience.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #198
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Still here mate!

I only get one day off a week & been busy at the behest of The Chancellor.... Just been out enough to charge the battery in the rain. Somebody posted the guy on the CBR600 in the braking thread, I linked this thread in hoping to get some more interest. Just a lull.....
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #199
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post

Where is everybody at with their progress and questions? Whats happening? Any good news, faster times, beaten records?

I cracked a bracket on the foot peg, so waiting for the replacement part from ebay to come in. So I've been grounded for a week or so.

Prior to that, I finally received my lap timer. Makes a great deal of difference in practice. Before that, I would have to wait to get home to evaluate my progress, from the video recordings. Now its real time. The down-side, pushing a bit too hard, trying to catch that perfect run. I have to pace myself back a bit. More form, less balls in the beginning of the session.

Any new folk reading this, and getting interested, don't be shy, dive in and start asking questions, or sharing your experience.
I'll go from lerker to poster to help keep this cool thread going.

I'm always doing U turns and cone weaves/ slaloms for work, this looks like a cool way to make practicing a bit more fun.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #200
kabluie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Well, I decided to use my bicycle to practice some figure 8's. I took the bike down to the bike shop for a tune up. It only cost me a hundred bucks, but I got a new back wheel out of it and then decided to try it out on my driveway. I have a long 100 foot driveway and decided that the width would be just right. It was, but I didn't plan on the marbles down at the end of the driveway and the front wheel washed out from under me. Down I went and skinned up my knee. Hmmm, maybe I'd better take another look at that ATGATT stuff again. (grin) The bike was a tad too big for me because I couldn't touch the ground without sliding off the seat. Anyway, I need another venue to get this done.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #201
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Seeing as we're rolling again, a quick observation..

Last time I was out on the big bike, on a familiar but damp & very twisty road I made a conscious effort to really apply what I'm learning. Correct braking, using the throttle through the turn, "planning" my turn, body position etc.
Well bugger me, just as well there were no feds about. I caught myself quite comfortably at nearly twice the speed limit for the road. Never managed to ride it at that pace before & speed was not the intention of the exercise. It felt very smooth & settled at all times. Great spin off.....
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #202
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:

Yep its hot. And I'm working a ton for now.

I'm still noticing gk stuff transating to offroad on each ride.

That's all for now. I love it.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #203
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #204
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Intense heat

Been too hot to ride safely so I cancelled my practice session for two weeks ago and then got sucked into a remodeling project at home so we've been striping wall paper and tearing up carpet. Glad that's all inside work.

My lap time has arrived so I'm ready to "get real" about this stuff. Goin' out Sunday.
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #205
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Yep its hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
Been too hot to ride
wtf are you guys talking about ,
Summary
Min 5
Max 19
Shower or two developing.
I'm thinking of fitting heated hand grips down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
My lap time has arrived so I'm ready to "get real" about this stuff. Goin' out Sunday.
Could you post up a link to what laptimer you guys are using?

cheers,

Rhys
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #206
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

lap timer

Amazon.com Slip Angle Racing Lap Timer
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #207
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

rjf: haha, yeah, we are hitting over 35 here in NY.

Elessar: yup, that is the one that I got. I got it from their website though, not amazon. Their reps were super nice and attentive. they have a few versions, and the website is a bit clunky in explanation of the differences. Ended up getting v3 with 10 second delay, and 2 beacons. Tested them out, everything works absolutely great. I have the sensor mounted on the right side, looking to the side. Beacons are great, they have a really nice vertical spread of the signal. I mount them on my small cones (about 8 inches tall) and the sensor picks it up, no problem, even though that its much higher on the bike. Love this timer so far. The price is great for what you get.

Did u get second beacon as well? If you are starting and finishing from the same box, then you would need two beacons. You start out with one beacon on one side of the bike, but when you come back, you bike is turned the other way, so you need a second beacon on the other side of the bike, to stop the timer. that was the primary reason why I bought the timer through their website and not amazon, I just couldn't find second beacon by itself, they were all packaged with the timer. The website sells them separate, if you need extra.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #208
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
rjf: haha, yeah, we are hitting over 35 here in NY.

Elessar: yup, that is the one that I got. I got it from their website though, not amazon. Their reps were super nice and attentive. they have a few versions, and the website is a bit clunky in explanation of the differences. Ended up getting v3 with 10 second delay, and 2 beacons. Tested them out, everything works absolutely great. I have the sensor mounted on the right side, looking to the side. Beacons are great, they have a really nice vertical spread of the signal. I mount them on my small cones (about 8 inches tall) and the sensor picks it up, no problem, even though that its much higher on the bike. Love this timer so far. The price is great for what you get.

Did u get second beacon as well? If you are starting and finishing from the same box, then you would need two beacons. You start out with one beacon on one side of the bike, but when you come back, you bike is turned the other way, so you need a second beacon on the other side of the bike, to stop the timer. that was the primary reason why I bought the timer through their website and not amazon, I just couldn't find second beacon by itself, they were all packaged with the timer. The website sells them separate, if you need extra.
You guys are really serious!! I just get my girlfriend to count one thousand & one, one thousand & two etc.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #209
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
works during daylight

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #210
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

D: you are soooo bad.