Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #271
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,492
ah the story of skin teh cafe racer, formerly known as Spud the Aus.motocycle Slut bike

yep cafe i built up from a frame, after a divorce, an old bike i had i actually brought for my ex which i put away when the front brakes became stuck on, i found kicked over in the shed, bleeding badly from the engine case. bent bar, and a big ding in the tank. I recovered it and my now late nan, said she wanted to be pillion ed for her 80th birthday, as she was a big biker, and my late pop was a racer, so i found some photos and some descriptions of my late pops AJS 1949 Racer, and it was inspired to have a project. Skin, was written on my pops bike, as it was my nans nick name, skinny.

so ground up rebuild, frame up, i got a professional painter to do the guards the checker stripes are painted on, i did everything else, wheel bearings, new front brakes, disc, forks rebuilt, custom made brake braided pipes, (its red not seen in this shot), recover seat. cafe bars, chain sprokets, new oem footpegs off a postie, lots of misc new parts, the mirrors were off my dads 84 guzzi i found in the cupboard, the entire bike was rebuilt. except the engine, but i did fix the crank case seals.

I pillioned my nan, and took about 2 or 3 short rides on it, then teh cam chain tentioner went, so i pulled the engine out only to realize its pretty much a engine dismantle job for the cam chain tentioner. so its been sitting on a work bench, engine, new barels, pistons, cam chain, tentioner, ready for me to do my first engine rebuild. that was um, a year ago. i also have a new headlight as on that ride, i noticed the headlight started to crack, its plastic bakerlight and started from a screw that holds the lens in, so figured if i didnt, i wouldnt have a lens left when i got home.

i gota admit, my nan at 80, was so happy that day, she threw her leg over, and just wanted to go go and go. alas, she passed away a few weeks ago, she wanted to be with my pop. so i hope they are off riding again together someplace nice.

to bloat further, i just sold my 02 cbr600f4i i had in the shed as a track bike i owned since new, i say track bike, as i pulled the mirrors and blinkers off it, with plans on takign it to a track day, never did though in the 3 years it was mothballed for. a friend needed a new cheap bike, so i sold it to him. but that leaves more room and time to get the cafe back on the road. i think it needs rear sets personally and a megaphone double exhaust thats upswung

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 12:25 AM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #272
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Great story for a very cool bike, and my condolences about your nan. May she and your pop ride together forever in the next life!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #273
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hi all. Just wanted to pop out of lurking this thread for a bit to say thanks. I've seen gymkhana videos before, but had no idea what it was called. Now I have something to search, in addition to the great discussion and videos already here.

I think this looks crazy fun. The timing for finding this thread is perfect too. I'm going through a "really want to improve my riding skills" phase. I took the Cornerspin class earlier this year, and highly reccomend it. Next on my list is my first laps on a track at the Cornerspeed school. Gymkhana compliments those skills nicely, and looks like it won't break the bank. I've been far too lazy to actually get out and do the kind of slow speed drills I know I really need to practice, but this just looks great. Motivation found.

My FIL is hopefully bringing some little plastic cones my way later this week. I'm hoping I can search through this thread and find something easy to set up to get started (if I can find a lot). So thanks!
Am.E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #274
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

these are the things ive always done in car parks for the past 15 odd years of my riding, and i gota admit, when you dont do them for a while, you feel, a bit, rusty, when you have your skills up and practiced, you feel so much more confident riding,

these are the NSW, Australia learner and provisional rider tests, how we get our licences here, we gota do these to pass, really not hard, but are are skills you need to develop.

Left Turn And Stop In The Box
Left turn – make a left turn through the marked yellow lines.
Stop in the box – make a smooth, non-skidding stop with the 'contact patch' of the front tyre
completely inside the white painted box.
Points are accumulated for:
Left turn – touching the yellow lines or putting your foot on the ground
Stop in the box – skidding either wheel or stopping with the 'contact patch' of the front tyre
outside the white painted box, (stopping on the line is considered to be outside of the box)

Cone Weave and U-turn
Cone weave – proceed around the cones by riding to the left side of the first cone, to the
right side of the second cone, and so on, weaving past all five cones
U-turn – make a right (clockwise) 'U-turn' within the box formed by the yellow lines.
Cone weave – hitting a cone, skipping a cone or putting your foot down on the ground.
U-turn – touching the yellow lines, or putting your foot down on the ground.
Conditions:
This test is done at your choice of speed and gear.
After completing the 'U-turn', stop near to where the Testing Officer is standing.

Quick Stop
Quick Stop – on the Testing Officer’s signal proceed between the blue and yellow cones at a
speed of between 20-30 km/h.
When the front edge of your front tyre passes between the yellow cones, begin braking to
bring your motorcycle to a complete stop as quickly and as safely as you can.
Once stopped, do not allow your motorcycle to move backwards or forwards.
Stopping beyond an allowable braking distance based on your speed recorded at the yellow
braking cones. You will not incur points for skidding either wheel.
Conditions:
If you are over 30 km/h you will be deemed to have been travelling at 30km/h and scored
accordingly.
If you brake early or if you are under 20 km/h you will be asked to perform a second stop.
If you brake early or if you are under 20 km/h on the second attempt a fail will be recorded.

Obstacle Turn
Obstacle turn– on the Testing Officer’s signal proceed between the blue and yellow cones at
a speed of between 20-30 km/h.
When the front edge of your front tyre passes between the yellow cones, swerve to left/right
being the side where the Testing Officer is standing, to avoid hitting the blue obstacle line and
half tennis ball then straighten to avoid hitting the blue side line.
9 points are accumulated and a fail recorded:
If you hit a half tennis ball or the blue obstacle line or the blue side line.
If you swerve the wrong way (ie not to the side where the Testing Officer is standing).
Conditions:
If you are under 20 km/h you will be asked to perform a second run.
If anticipating the swerve, you touch any cone you will be asked to perform a second run.
If you are under 20 km/h or touch any cone on the second run a fail will be recorded.
Once you have cleared the blue side lines return to where the Testing Officer is standing.

theres a lot more, and heres where i got it from, which also has little diagrams of it all. i have about 30 witches hats in the shed i got from a bargain shop.

http://www.stayupright.com.au/pdf/MOST_ACT.pdf

http://youtu.be/ItBV2LLOJTE

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 08:45 PM
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #275
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Great story for a very cool bike, and my condolences about your nan. May she and your pop ride together forever in the next life!
ah its cool, the sadest part was, she wanted to, she put her self on do not resuscitate and had a heart attack, she could of been saved quight easily with surgury, but she didn't want it, so just died. she wanted to be with my pop, and has been very vocal about that since my pop passed on 4 years ago from prostate cancer. i guess when you spend 60+ years together, you struggle to live with out them.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #276
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Moto Gymkhana from a completely different perspective.

We had the opportunity to test out some filming from a remote control helicopter to which was attached a GoPro 3D camera rig. The results were certainly impressive, but as most of you only have 2D computer screens, here is a little sample from just one of the cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWjv...90rHk0bMklyOvQ
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #277
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Thats pretty cool

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #278
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
Thats pretty cool

That's very cool, just gone onto my chrissie pressie list.

Sent from a clunky old tosh using coal.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #279
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post

We had the opportunity to test out some filming from a remote control helicopter to which was attached a GoPro 3D camera rig. The results were certainly impressive, but as most of you only have 2D computer screens, here is a little sample from just one of the cameras.

that's exactly what I want to do. now I know what it looks like. cool, thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #280
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #281
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Whats your take on that Vulfy?
Apart from getting a headache trying to watch it I would never have picked the green ring ding for the win. Just goes to show, smooth is fast. I initially thought the road bikes looked quicker but there is nothing in it.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #282
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
I just love the flow of a good Gymkhana rider. Cant really explain it, but I get butterflies in my stomach when I see them handling their bikes like that.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #283
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post

Wow OMFG !! ... that is freaking awesome
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #284
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
These split-screen videos are a wonderful way of seeing exactly where a rider will make and lose time in comparison with others. It is often the case that there is one section where a rider will be superior to all the rest and from then on they are pretty well unbeatable. In case there isn't a video handy you can still do this analysis by splitting up the course into sections with one obstacle in each section. simply time each rider as they go through each section and it will soon become clear where time is being won or lost. Typically the most time is lost during the rotation turns as these are by far the most difficult to get right. A top rider should be able to make one rotation of a pylon in about 2.5 seconds.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #285
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Bit like time sensors on sections of track