Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #301
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Harvey: No DR, trade didn't work out. Still looking for a bike.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #302
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post

Play with it as well. Be creative. No right or wrong answers here, just what works better or worse for you.

I personally have been going back and forth in the riding position during the turn. Either leaning out into the turn, or counter leaning. Still trying to make sense of what works for me the best.

Hopefully that, will result in faster times.
Yup, this is a lot of the fun. Figuring out how to carry that pace & be smooth. When you think of the components / techniques required to get around a course it's pretty mind bending compared to going out for a brisk Sunday morning ride.
I don't think I have ever ridden a bike so aggressively as I'm beginning too around the cones, I've always believed in less is more on the road, riding smoothly & efficiently to maintain a good pace. Round the cones it's lots of brakes, lots of throttle & some quite startling sensations as the bike whips up, down & around, with the bars at a very weird angle.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #303
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Like we say, Moto Gymkhana is all about 'maximum riding' and that is why it's such a fantastic challenge to get it right.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #304
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
smooth is slow, smooth is fast
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #305
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Our friend Kaori Takashima giving her NSR250 a good workout. It's quite wonderful to see the results of lots and lots of practice!

http://youtu.be/Ea8KcQcKtG0
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #306
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

She is tiny.... you could get both cheeks in one hand....... must concentrate on motorbike...

T'is interestin listening to the NSR, I thought 2t's would be disadvantaged being a bit on/off at the bottom but my DT pulls from nothing & that NSR sounds really crisp too, no lurching & clean pick up. I've had no plug fouling either. Just goes to show how little i know.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #307
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Breaker breaker this is Rubber Duck. We got ourselves a convoy.

http://youtu.be/CoAIQnNuzP4

Add a bit of distraction.....

Gawd, how do they remember a course like this?

http://youtu.be/XvOFjyCPNEM

Right, I really must do some work...

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 04:29 PM
Old 08-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #308
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Our friend Kaori Takashima giving her NSR250 a good workout. It's quite wonderful to see the results of lots and lots of practice!

http://youtu.be/Ea8KcQcKtG0
That was impressive! ...and informative. That one video answered the question I had earlier: she is initiating her turns *WELL* before reaching the cone. I'm gonna have to study that video a couple of times to see how much technique I can pick up from it.

Thanks for sharing that link!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #309
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
That was impressive! ...and informative. That one video answered the question I had earlier: she is initiating her turns *WELL* before reaching the cone. I'm gonna have to study that video a couple of times to see how much technique I can pick up from it.

Thanks for sharing that link!
I got lost for a bit on youtube, productivity is down thanks to Mr Motogymkhanaman, the nations deficit grows larger as I type... I digress..

I learn a lot from watching these vids, breaking points, duration, lines into & out of a turn, body position etc. Non of it shows in my vids, though.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #310
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Tehwall, sorry, I have the same reaction to seeing myself. Feel great at the time, get home & watch a rigid Massey Ferguson.....

Any hoo, when to turn? From watching vids of the cool cats who seem to initiate there turn pretty much as the front wheel passes the cone I've tried to do the same thing. I'm trying to start my head turn & body shift as I approach, use the back brake to drop the bike over as quick as I dare with a lot of lock then back on the gas.
I try to enter the turn close to the cone & have a slightly wider exit, if I'm doing a turn greater than 180o I enter a little wider so the exit is tighter & I don't end up bulging out of the turn. If I start to turn as I pass I'm miles off course on the exit. It's the front wheel I think about getting round the cone, not the whole bike, hence my dilemma..
The bit I'm really struggling with, the mental block, is how far I will lean the bike in the turn. I can keep the revs up & use the back brake to help with the turn so the transition from brake to throttle is ok but I just seem to have an in built limit to my lean angle, slow & tight is fine but dropping the bike right on it's ear on a proper course is real struggle.
I find it easier if I forget about the cone I'm turning around & really focus on the next one or two I'm turning towards, it's also easier if I'm in an aggressive "get im boy" mood. The more I move around on the bike the better it feels, not sure if it is any quicker, though. I notice that some of the pros really urge their bikes around a course, you can read the body language as "come on, come on!" like kicking a horse..

I believe an issue with our practice is over thinking. Whipping the bike around in a tight u-turn on the road is easy, I bet your not thinking about the turn but were you are turning too, your already thinking beyond the maneuvre. I feel on the course I get bogged down with what is ahead of me & lose sight of the flow, where I'm turning too if you like. A series of individual corners rather than a flowing track which is essentially what the course is.

Practice, must practice more.
I got it right a couple (really, two) of times, but needed wet grass to do it. Started the slide earlier than normal like a long sliding stop, kept the revs UP and let the cltuch out when I felt that point you're focussing on... it slips you down a little further at first, blip it a little and it gains traction, sets you up a little bit more and makes for a nice wide arc.

The surface has to be constant ( for me ) and I'm so close to kicking the bike away its not measurable.

Deep gravel is even easier and softer than grass, but I don't have enough dirt experience to prevent washing the front in deep gravel.

Sand, I suck at completely.

As far as the drifting, am I the only getting bored with it in all the youtube videos?

The part that got me excited was at 1:10 when he rolled backwards through the pileons. THAT was awesome.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #311
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
I got it right a couple (really, two) of times, but needed wet grass to do it. Started the slide earlier than normal like a long sliding stop, kept the revs UP and let the cltuch out when I felt that point you're focussing on... it slips you down a little further at first, blip it a little and it gains traction, sets you up a little bit more and makes for a nice wide arc.

The surface has to be constant ( for me ) and I'm so close to kicking the bike away its not measurable.

Deep gravel is even easier and softer than grass, but I don't have enough dirt experience to prevent washing the front in deep gravel.

Sand, I suck at completely.

As far as the drifting, am I the only getting bored with it in all the youtube videos?

The part that got me excited was at 1:10 when he rolled backwards through the pileons. THAT was awesome.
Yup, watching excessively talented people thrashing exotica & getting paid for it is wearing thin.

When your sliding the bike about, body weight plays a big part in control. When the rear of the bike is stepping out rather than modulate it with the throttle shift your body weight to control traction. Loading the outside footrest will help the tire to grip, as you say, pushing the inside footrest increases the slide.
The front tire is always a head game in the loose, particularly down hill. The trick is to think of everything as flat..... yeah, it's really easy...... anyhoo, the problem is trying to turn too fast, control your speed into a turn & accelerate, this unloads the front so it tracks easier & gives you control from the throttle, body weight etc. As usual it's imperative that you look where you want to go because nothing about the bike is pointing in that direction, it goes where you want it when you pick it up & stop sliding. If in doubt, gas it.
Check out some motard vids, at the apex of the turn the front wheel is full lock in the opposite direction as the back swings round, when they pick it up the back wheel dictates the direction the bike goes in. Same on dirt but in my case far less spectacular.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #312
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,802
Drifting:
First thing you need is a pizza pan to make your rear sprocket from.

Then put about 70psi in the rear tire
Stay on the throttle and use forward weighting and front brakes to keep the back end loose

Simple!!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #313
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
And have a massive sprocket on the back

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #314
pterus
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hello to all, i have been since long time visiting this fantastic forum and congratulate to all that help for it to be so.
Being obsessed with gymkhana learning techniques, have been following lately this very prolific thread. found a very good set of instructions on the practice of gymkhana on the teamtraction´s virtuous people site, here: http://teamtraction.jp/?page_id=6, i tried various web translators but they all give a very hard to fully comprehend Japanese to English translation, it would be great if someone could make a good one for all non Japanese talkers. cheers
pterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #315
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a little crash compilation for everybody and remember that only ego's were hurt during the making of this movie!

http://youtu.be/zum7Uzg2tew