Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #316
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Welcome pterus. We are in the process of writing a comprehensive riding guide for Moto Gymkhana (in English). It should be ready by Christmas.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #317
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pterus View Post
Hello to all, i have been since long time visiting this fantastic forum and congratulate to all that help for it to be so.
Being obsessed with gymkhana learning techniques, have been following lately this very prolific thread. found a very good set of instructions on the practice of gymkhana on the teamtraction´s virtuous people site, here: http://teamtraction.jp/?page_id=6, i tried various web translators but they all give a very hard to fully comprehend Japanese to English translation, it would be great if someone could make a good one for all non Japanese talkers. cheers
Ohio-gozaimasu, Pterus! Hajimemashite!

Unfortunately, that's about the extent of my Japanese...I never learned nearly as much as I wanted, and it's been a really long time :) In any case, welcome!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #318
pterus
n00b

Oddometer: 4
well... arigato, right? not much i can remember, i visited Tokio once, long time ago, great country and very nice people. Looking forward to your guide Motogymkhanaman, work hard!
pterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #319
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterus View Post
well... arigato, right? not much i can remember, i visited Tokio once, long time ago, great country and very nice people.
Agreed! One of my bucket list items is to go back and ride some of the roads I remember from my childhood there, like the road along the Oirase Gorge or along the coast near Aomori. It's been nearly thirty years, and I still get "homesick" sometimes, lol.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #320
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

More Gymkhana dancing.

http://youtu.be/7D7xHOT1RQA
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #321
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Here's a little crash compilation for everybody and remember that only ego's were hurt during the making of this movie!

http://youtu.be/zum7Uzg2tew
That had me tickled pink, i never knew monkey bikes had rigid footrests..
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #322
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Now here is a flight of fantasy...
I'm looking at getting a trials bike in the coming months, for fun, fitness & jolly japes picking myself up. My idle little mind has just wondered how such a bike would go on 17" rims... Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #323
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Laugh

Hmmm...lightweight...torquey. It might work!

Yeah, I'd love to get a trials bike, too...and build a cafe racer...and buy a sport tourer...and a hooligan bike...and an old 70's Honda CBx00 because my dad used to ride them when I was a kid...all on top of the adventure touring bike I already have and the gymkhana-specific bike I also want to build.

If it weren't for those stupid little extras that my wife and daughter think are soooooo important, like food or our house I could have a bike for every occasion!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #324
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Hmmm...lightweight...torquey. It might work!

Yeah, I'd love to get a trials bike, too...and build a cafe racer...and buy a sport tourer...and a hooligan bike...and an old 70's Honda CBx00 because my dad used to ride them when I was a kid...all on top of the adventure touring bike I already have and the gymkhana-specific bike I also want to build.

If it weren't for those stupid little extras that my wife and daughter think are soooooo important, like food or our house I could have a bike for every occasion!
Eerie, I've just been looking at GB 4 and 5 hundys on t'interweb. And NSR's & RGV's...... I do love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #325
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Now here is a flight of fantasy...
I'm looking at getting a trials bike in the coming months, for fun, fitness & jolly japes picking myself up. My idle little mind has just wondered how such a bike would go on 17" rims... Any thoughts?
i saw one today and thought how would it go doing gymkhana, pitty most arnt road registarable
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #326
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
i saw one today and thought how would it go doing gymkhana, pitty most arnt road registarable
I came to the conclusion yesterday that the never ending lock of a trials bike could be more of a hindrance than a help.

The TY 250's were sold in the UK with a road kit, I can remember my dad using his for work. Mainly because he enjoyed wheelies & riding over round abouts. Amazing I turned out so placid really..
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #327
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Some wobbling from yesterday, first time in a long time. I really struggled getting everything co-ordinated & had the front drop a couple of times when I inadvertently shut the throttle a bit rather than apply the back brake in a turn. Felt much more exciting than it looks. Road is a maximum of 8 mtrs wide & the course is a figure 8 into an off set slalom then 2 360's & back through.
My instructor mate borrowed the TDM last week & it came back with a wee sticker on the handlebars "EYES UP!", I think it has helped.
Any hoo, some wobbling on Tubby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LWz_...EFWfaBJAsRizEA

& the wee DT.. notice anything different?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3GtS...EFWfaBJAsRizEA
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #328
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Nice -- looks like you've gotten quite a bit better at letting the bike move under you than I have I'm just starting to work on leaning the bike one direction while keeping my body upright over it, but you looked like you were doing it pretty naturally.

Was that a bit of a skid at the end of the second video?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #329
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Nice -- looks like you've gotten quite a bit better at letting the bike move under you than I have I'm just starting to work on leaning the bike one direction while keeping my body upright over it, but you looked like you were doing it pretty naturally.

Was that a bit of a skid at the end of the second video?
A moments exuberance on my part.

It is beginning to feel easier moving on the bikes, I'm hitting a wall with the TDM, fear of dropping it I guess. The couple of moments I had were purely due to bad throttle control but a moments lapse creates a big eek moment on Tubby. Spacing the course a bit wider would have helped, it was pretty much steady throttle all the time. I was quite happy with the 8, finally managed to connect both the turns without keeping the bike upright in between. IYKWIM.
The DT is much easier because of the weight, it is narrow & perversely it has better throttle response. You can pretty much stop, keep the bike upright & ride it like a trials bike to stay on course. Not the point I know, but it builds confidence. Much easier to hold on the throttle mid turn too.
After that session I'm starting to rethink buying a trials bike, maybe a wee road bike with crash bars etc would get more use & I would certainly be a lot more confident building my technique on something I wasn't afraid of dropping. After 90 minutes with my G/F, on the bikes, I was knackered, brain fried. Remarkable how much goes into something which looks relatively easy. It doesn't look like a sweaty sport.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #330
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

A bit of fun at the Stevenage Bike Fest.

http://youtu.be/wVv1e0ZUAH0