Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #331
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
A GP8 steering method comparison - Conventional against Full-Lock.

http://youtu.be/9MA83fjpW98
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #332
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Ok... I like the video, but the comparison is not really fair nor informative. Different bikes, different riders. Too many variables to clearly show that it was JUST the full lock of the bars that made the difference in time.

One rider, same bike, trying both techniques, would make more sense.

Otherwise, good video.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #333
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Will be doing a back to back comparison of riding styles hopefully at the next experience day, so will post results when I have them.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #334
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
i was thinking of attaching some kinda torch to my helmet, for riding around car parks at night, since im never looking in the direction of the headlights. anything out their like that, would help walking from the shed to the house too perhaps attached with velcro so it comes off in an accident
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #335
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Got a chance to practice some of the tight turns and figure eights for a different reason last night...

I went to go pick up dinner at one of the local dining venues, and got rear-ended by a lady at a stoplight. I watched her pull up behind me and stop in my rear-views, then I returned my attention to other traffic around me...and suddenly, I felt the bike lurch forward. I double checked my mirrors, and the lady behind me was all owl-eyed (I think she was doing something else inside the car after stopping and didn't realize she wasn't holding her brake as hard as she needed to). We pulled around the corner to a parking lot to assess the damage, and I practiced a few of the maneuvers just to see how the bike felt.

I suck at those maneuvers when hopped up on adrenaline

Long story short, other than a few wrinkles in my license plate, it was all good -- she was going slow enough when she bumped into me that there was no other damage to the bike, her car or either of us. It looked like most of the impact was absorbed by the tire, which honestly, probably takes more of a beating when I venture off of paved roads :)
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #336
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
i was thinking of attaching some kinda torch to my helmet, for riding around car parks at night, since im never looking in the direction of the headlights. anything out their like that, would help walking from the shed to the house too perhaps attached with velcro so it comes off in an accident
M1 Bike and Helmet Light

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...met/Detail.bok

From an ADVRIDER vendor
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

There's an adv discount code in there somewhere.

I have this as a bicycle light and its an awesome light. As packaged, it comes with a helmet mount with a long velcro strap that needs to be wrapped around something like the visor on a dirt helmet. May not work for a street helmet. I also have a very light from another vendor that used the same basic mount, but it came with an industrial velcro square that can be attatched to any helmet. I don't see it specifically listed on sanjoh's site, but ask him about it and I bet he can come up with something similar.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #337
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
What kind of bike do you have storm shadow?
I've noticed a few people who have attached LED running lights to engine bars or fairings to open up the spread of light, you get close to 180o of beam. You can get really cheap self adhesive LEDS, I think I paid $2 each for them & they have a reasonable throw.
Nocturnal Gymkhana....
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #338
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
What kind of bike do you have storm shadow?
I've noticed a few people who have attached LED running lights to engine bars or fairings to open up the spread of light, you get close to 180o of beam. You can get really cheap self adhesive LEDS, I think I paid $2 each for them & they have a reasonable throw.
Nocturnal Gymkhana....
vfr800, yeah, i dont need headlights, but just nice to see where ya going when ya turn ya head. maybe small leds would be a good idea.

thanks dale, the helmet light sounds great above though, ill look into that
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #339
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
vfr800, yeah, i dont need headlights, but just nice to see where ya going when ya turn ya head. maybe small leds would be a good idea.

the helmet light sounds great above though, ill look into that
They don't throw for miles but certainly light up the turning area left & right. Looked at this idea after riding home in the dark on a very twisty clay & gravel road in the rain.... glad it does not snow here. For 20km's I only had glimpses of the road ahead, the rest of the time it was the flora & fauna I was going to hit that I could see.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #340
kabluie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
A friend of mine got me a bunch of led flashlight that use three AAA batteries. They are unbelievably bright. I use them all the time and batteries last a long time. He got them at Costco. The brandname is TechLite Lumen Master. They are about 4 1/2 inches long and a inch and a quarter in diameter. They were about $5 bucks a piece a few months ago. They're probably more now.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #341
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabluie View Post
A friend of mine got me a bunch of led flashlight that use three AAA batteries. They are unbelievably bright. I use them all the time and batteries last a long time. He got them at Costco. The brandname is TechLite Lumen Master. They are about 4 1/2 inches long and a inch and a quarter in diameter. They were about $5 bucks a piece a few months ago. They're probably more now.
Sound similar to what I have, quite amazing for the price. I think ours came in a pack of 3 with batteries.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #342
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:

thanks dale, the helmet light sounds great above though, ill look into that
there are some cateye bicycle led systems that throw 2, 5, or even 10 watts per housing.... that's insanely bright for led setups. might be a good hack to drop a battery tender plug on one and run / charge it off the bike.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #343
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

What ya think duck tape a led running light to my head n run a lead to my powerlet socket
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #344
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

All this talk of head torches puts me in mind of our friends in the Ukraine who like nothing more than riding Moto Gymkhana in the middle of the night!

http://youtu.be/54UmpYnjQ_4
Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #345
CaptainSWJR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
You guys are a bad (good?) influence. Read this whole thread and caught the bug. Found myself in a parking lot, in first gear, with my handlebars going from stop to stop at idle while weaving through parking space lines.

For hours.

Bastards!
CaptainSWJR is offline   Reply With Quote