Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #376
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I concur

A friend owns a Fireblade & has spent a fortune on leathers, training, track days etc but he will never be able to compete & he can't get his head around how you can have a similar buzz in a car park. He can't do u turns either, they don't teach those at Superbike school.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #377
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
All this talk of dropping bikes puts me in mind of the most profound statement that I have ever come across.

Quote:
"Unless I am very lucky, I understand that I will drop my bike the moment I exceed my riding abilities."
This statement is true for every form of motorcycling activity, not just Moto Gymkhana.

Over the years that we have been running Moto Gymkhana experiences and events by far the biggest reason that riders proffer for not having a go is that they would "drop their bike"! Maybe this is because they think that out on the road or track, they might be able to keep well away from the limits of their abilities, but in Moto Gymkhana the limit would be on them far too quickly for comfort.

Whatever the reason, the limit to our riding abilities will eventually come to meet us on its terms rather than us going to meet it on our terms. As our Japanese frends say "You can be good at road racing and road riding, but that won't make you good at Moto Gymkhana. If on the other hand you are good at Moto Gymkhana, all those other disciplines will be much easier as a result".
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #378
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
All this good conversation makes me want to go out and ride. Looking foward to getting off work for the ride home. Need more practice time...
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #379
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,492
I remember one of the bikes um vehicles i owned was a yamaha majesty maxi scooter i used to commute on. I became great at chucking it around car parks. But i becamevso use to as it was different when ever i got on my cbr for the weekends and try a uturn i drop it. Dropped it a dozen times on slow speed u turns. I pug that down as being too use to one bike.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #380
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
I remember one of the bikes um vehicles i owned was a yamaha majesty maxi scooter i used to commute on. I became great at chucking it around car parks. But i becamevso use to as it was different when ever i got on my cbr for the weekends and try a uturn i drop it. Dropped it a dozen times on slow speed u turns. I pug that down as being too use to one bike.
I jump between an anorexic 230cc 2t & an 850 4t twin with love handles. It always takes a few minutes to adjust but ultimately they are complementary. If I can make a save on the wee bike I can do it on the big one too, that faith in opening the throttle.....

Great quote's motogymkhana man. I am not a speed freak, it frightens me, roads look very narrow over 200 kmh....
but I love technical riding & personal challenge.

Sent from a computer which has not been drinking using a forefinger.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #381
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey krumpet View Post
...but i love technical riding & personal challenge.
+1
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #382
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Maybe it was because itvwas a scooter then

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #383
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:

Or just me

Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #384
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Wee wheels? Challenging I should think.

A big difference between the two bikes I ride is the fairing on the TDM, it is distracting to the max when I jump on after the wee bike, the bars turn but the prow doesn't. Weight too, of course.

Sent from my computer using gob shite 2.0
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #385
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Wee wheels? Challenging I should think.

A big difference between the two bikes I ride is the fairing on the TDM, it is distracting to the max when I jump on after the wee bike, the bars turn but the prow doesn't. Weight too, of course.

Sent from my computer using gob shite 2.0
maybe, it was one of those 250cc singles, with the cvt transmision, twist the throttle and it goes, back brake was the clutch lever, which you dont wana get twon thinking its a clutch.

use to scrap the side stand around car parks, fat bike with the fairings, hard as no tank to grip ya knees on, had to push ya feet out, and ya back into the seat backrest to hold on, long wheel base, lot longer than a bikes, and 12 inch wheels.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #386
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
maybe, it was one of those 250cc singles, with the cvt transmision, twist the throttle and it goes, back brake was the clutch lever, which you dont wana get twon thinking its a clutch.

use to scrap the side stand around car parks, fat bike with the fairings, hard as no tank to grip ya knees on, had to push ya feet out, and ya back into the seat backrest to hold on, long wheel base, lot longer than a bikes, and 12 inch wheels.
Not ideal by the sounds of it. Last time I rode a cvt scoot (the only time) after twisting the throttle you had time to put your helmet & gloves on before it moved.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #387
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Not ideal by the sounds of it. Last time I rode a cvt scoot (the only time) after twisting the throttle you had time to put your helmet & gloves on before it moved.
yeah pretty much, i cranked the idle up high so it was responcive, it actually was quight quick upto about 60, my now ex wife insisted on me buying it for her, and never used it, so i ended up commutting on it as it ran on the smell of an oily rag, all that storage space was convenient, had a big arse top box, understeat storage to fit 2 heads, and glove box and stuff, can fit a weeks worth of shopping in it.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #388
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
yeah pretty much, i cranked the idle up high so it was responcive, it actually was quight quick upto about 60, my now ex wife insisted on me buying it for her, and never used it, so i ended up commutting on it as it ran on the smell of an oily rag, all that storage space was convenient, had a big arse top box, understeat storage to fit 2 heads, and glove box and stuff, can fit a weeks worth of shopping in it.
Between you & me, I've often thought of getting a scoot for my daily trip They are just so cheap & useful.

I nearly bought an 80's GP 100 suzuki 2t recently.... 5000k's from new, one owner, $500. Could have caned it, stretching cable, mirrors twisted in, hanging onto the fork leg, up to about 70kmh with a tale wind. The Chancellor used her power of veto, though. Humbug.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #389
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Between you & me, I've often thought of getting a scoot for my daily trip They are just so cheap & useful.

I nearly bought an 80's GP 100 suzuki 2t recently.... 5000k's from new, one owner, $500. Could have caned it, stretching cable, mirrors twisted in, hanging onto the fork leg, up to about 70kmh with a tale wind. The Chancellor used her power of veto, though. Humbug.
like i said, they handle so differently to bikes, i think after my experience id rather a small bike, rather than a scooter
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #390
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
This Sunday, there is a small gymkhana meeting/training near the Dutch / German border, 20 minutes from the city of Venlo.

for who wants to learn more (and speak dutch: http://www.facebook.com/groups/346956898713362/ )

I will practice in the morning some and then go there.
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote