Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #481
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,490
yeah, i sometimes think that too, i just heard he has been having some security problems, were a very small town here, so everybody knows each other, people talk. cant even take a dump with out people commenting.
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #482
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
You don't get to be Japanese Moto Gymkhana champion unless you can ride in slightly damp conditions!

The only way to get this good is practise, practise, practise.

http://youtu.be/cjhVtNbqxoU
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #483
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544

GP8, level NOVICE.....

I'm gonna go cry now.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #484
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Its not like we are doing this on the street, its an abandoned airfield, with no pedestrians anywhere near us...
We had our first non-official event in a commandeered parking lot. I actually made a small "official" effort by talking to one of the two tenants of the mostly vacant mini-mall. I asked her who owned the property, and after finding out it was a very large corporation decided the best approach was to ask the tenant is SHE had any problem with us holding a small gathering there. The day of turned out more than 30 people, and we were visited by a LEO on patrol, we rushed over, explained what we were doing, and have been mostly official ever since.

Our large event, we always seek permission, as we never want to be run off, resulting in hundreds of folks being lost or disappointed.
Smaller events can be held anywhere there is a semi-closed section of pavement. Think about this - if you can cordon off a section of lot, most LEOs or public officials should not have any problem with the activity. Think about it, they are not there to make sure people don't practice skills, they are there to make sure you are not braking laws, or hurting yourself or others. Other than that, you most likely will be on private property, and unless the landlord or tenants have an objection, you should be fine.

We have had LEOs at EVERY SINGLE EVENT we have ever had, and have never had a single issue - ever.

One sure way to get a LEOs attention is to act like you are doing something wrong, they are trained to look for behavior like that. Just go over and talk to them and let them know what you are doing. The last interaction I had at an event was when we had a small practice session, I stopped to talk to one parked in "OUR" lot. I explained what we were about to do - he responded by asking if he needed to move. "if you don't mind." I said with a smile.

If you act like an outlaw, they will treat you like one.

If you start acting a fool, drifting, wheelies, stoppies, doing damage to the lot or endangering other folks - expect to be runofft. The best place to practice - IMO is the moto dealers - I have had them BEG me to have an event at their place. You should at least go talk to them. It might help to have an AMGRASS banner somewhere too

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #485
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Different states, different cities. Some are more relaxed than others.

We have no big moto dealers in NYC. There are a couple of large shops in Manhattan, but they do not have parking lots. The closest dealer I can think of that has a lot, is in NJ. Thats 3 tolls away from me.

Living in NYC has its benefits, but also has its drawbacks. For a few hours of practice, I really don't want to ride 100 miles one way, pay three tolls, and then exhausted, and quite possibly banged up, ride another 100 miles back.

The airfield I'm riding on, is a State Park now. They hold RC aircraft meetings there, there is a campground, and fishing.
The "lot" I practice on, is basically the very end of a runway, that stops at the water. There are NO signs of ANY sort, of what that lot is suppose to be. Its not a parking lot, although people park at the end of it, who go fishing.
Its not drive-through, as its a dead-end. Its just a piece of tarmac, that just sits there, looking pretty.

They have a sanitation training facility there, and sometimes they use that lot as a training ground for their dump-trucks.

I also practiced multiple times there by myself, without any problems, with a patrol car passing by me, a couple of times. I waved at them, acknowledging their presence, but was never stopped and questioned.

I also crashed multiple times on that lot, without any further consequences. Again, its a piece of tarmac, in the middle of nowhere.... I think its an expense on city's budget, to waste patrol's car gas, to even go there.

I personally think, that it was just a weekend, with a lot more people present. They had a big RC meeting at the other lot, and since they could see what was going on on our end, they saw bikes, they saw spills, and I bet somebody felt uneasy and decided to call on us.

I had similar experience on a public parking lot, where concerned citizens called a patrol car on me, for running my laps around two cones....

So yeah, dawn sessions are the best.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #486
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
[QUOTE=Vulfy;19667

GP8, level NOVICE.....

I'm gonna go cry now. [/QUOTE]

If that's novice I must be in the Kindie class, warm milk & afternoon naps.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #487
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

When thw drunk crash tackled me the police said they had a call i was doing burn outs and donuts on the bike

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #488
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

I ended up chewing my foot watching this.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #489
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
While most of us struggle to negotiate the obstacles with the wheels in line there is always someone who can't resist showing us how much we have to learn.

Here Sparky Mark has a play on the course after our last competition.

http://youtu.be/TprccPT7Y-U
Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #490
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

we must always be out riding as its quiet in here,

anyway, wife and children goign away on sunday so ive packed the bike up with a dozen witches hats i own, lil ones, and will be trying for the car park as all the shops are closed on sundays here.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #491
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Harvey, thanks for posting that! I got some GP-8 practice in after work the day before yesterday, and was feeling frustrated afterwards because it still felt like I was making really wide turns. After watching that video, I'm not so sure that those guys were making turns *much* tighter than I was...although they were definitely a lot (a LOT!) faster than I was, and their bikes were cornering much harder than mine, due to the extra speed. Right now, I'm still working on the mechanics of the turn itself; adding as much throttle and brake as those guys do is still beyond my skill level.

Question for the group: when braking as you approach the cone, are you mostly using rear brake, front brake, or a combination of both? I've been using rear brake mostly, as I found my performance really suffered when I tried to pry my fingers loose from the throttle to reach for the front brake lever. Maybe I should try just keeping two fingers on the brake, and two on the throttle? Just curious how everyone else approaches braking on the GP-8...
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #492
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

From my personal experience, with two completely different bikes (Speed Triple vs. DRZ400) use of front brake depends on the bike.

On my Triple, rear brake is not enough to fully control the speed, so I have to use a little bit of front brake.
On my DRZ which is a lot lighter and less powerful, rear brake is enough to control the speed in the turn.

Coming from Triple, I still use rear and front as I brake INTO the corner, and then mostly rear while in the corner, to control the speed of the turn.

And yes, speed IN the turn matters. This is what I'm struggling with, at the moment. Slowing down too much while turning, will definitely tighten up the radius, but I'm loosing A LOT of time. I'm loosing time as i brake INTO the turn. I'm loosing time as I need to accelerate OUT of it.

As motogymkhanaman syas, pros do a full 180 turn in 2 seconds. So I guess whatever combination of lean, speed and radius gives you that quick turn around, is what works for you and your bike.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #493
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Thanks, Vulfy -- that's helpful.

Back when I was learning how to be a flight instructor, one of the things I learned about teaching was to break a task into smaller pieces if a student is having trouble mastering a task. So...maybe what I should do is break the GP-8 down into a smaller, bite-sized piece: set up *ONE* cone 12 meters away, and practice accelerating towards it, braking into the turn, then accelerating back out of it on the other side until I can hit that two-second turn goal. Once I've got *that* down, THEN go back and try the GP-8 again.
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #494
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Thanks, Vulfy -- that's helpful.

Back when I was learning how to be a flight instructor, one of the things I learned about teaching was to break a task into smaller pieces if a student is having trouble mastering a task. So...maybe what I should do is break the GP-8 down into a smaller, bite-sized piece: set up *ONE* cone 12 meters away, and practice accelerating towards it, braking into the turn, then accelerating back out of it on the other side until I can hit that two-second turn goal. Once I've got *that* down, THEN go back and try the GP-8 again.
I think we all have the same problem. We have the basics but are struggling to add the speed.
I'm experimenting with the brakes at the mo. You can get a fair bit of speed up in 12 mtrs... I use front & rear if I have given the bike a handful, rear is not enough, I shoot past the cone or lock the rear. I'm trying to get the bike to turn on both brakes, releasing the front as it does so but still using the rear for control through the turn. Thing is, there are only two brakes but I only seem to be able to control them one at a time. If I do the GP8 at a fairly constant throttle it's smooth & easy, as soon as I start to add speed it all turns to custard.
As you say Teh wall, I'm thinking of each element, braking, turning point, throttle (revs), rear barke control, lean acceleration. You know, everything you need to do to control a bike on the back of a postage stamp.

I have issues turning the bike hard which is why I tried the mini 8 through a 1 mtr gate. It forces you to go from full lock to full lock, I look upon it as practice for the middle of our turns, bike leaned over at full lock after braking but before accelerating. It has made me a bit more comfortable turning a bit harder. I'm also practicing braking hard then straight into a u-turn for the first bit of our turns.
A side effect of this is for the first time in 30 odd years I'm happy with the front right on the point of locking & actually know what it feels & sounds like. Amazing thing we are doing.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #495
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

As a simple exercises and warm-up that I do, when I feel my throttle/brake is getting rusty is to do it in a straight. Stay in first gear, roll on throttle, then apply both brakes and roll off, then release and roll on. Try to do it as smoothly as possible and at the same time as aggressive as possible. A great exercise for the throttle hand, to roll off, while squeezing front brake, and then roll on while releasing front brake. Really works the smoothness of operation.

It should warm everything up, and at the same time you'll start to feel when the brakes bite, and when they smoothly engage.

DRZ has a very harsh kick when opening throttle from closed or almost closed, so I have to keep up the RPMs to avoid that surge. Triumph is a bit smoother in that regard, but it feels lazier coming out of the turn. I found that the best times I achieved were on open throttle through the turn (not fully open, but not closed either) on both bikes, and just controlling speed with brakes. That way its a lot smoother transition into the turn and out of it, while still keeping the speed through the turn.

Of course I have another 5 seconds to go, to actually have ANY authority on explaining things....