Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #511
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
That would be a decent time apart from the fact you did SIX rotations of the figure 8 when it should only be five, I worked your time out to have been a very creditable 45 seconds had you finished when you should have.
so the gp8 is through a timed gate, then 5 figure 8's 12 meters apart?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #512
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Meh, most probably its already all chopped up and on e-bay or Craigslist, or on its way to Mexico.
Just have to learn on my mistakes. Thanks for all condolences and best wishes though.

As far as Triumph, the Black Beauty was never questioned of ITS abilities, it was always a question of MINE.

Counting GP8 is pretty easy. In the clip its a bit awkward, but I found two ways that work for me.

Either count just the furthest cone from the star/end. So as you leave and make first turn around it, thats "1". After you go around it on "5" you go straight to the end box.

I sometimes do get confused counting just the furthest cone. So the most reliable way for me, is to count every cone, up to 10.
Closest cone to the start/end box will always be the odd number, and the furthest one will always be even number.
The trick is to remember to count the first cone as you go past it, right out of the box. Remembering that the furthest cone is always even, I just start counting from it, from "2". After that its pretty easy, and I can concentrate on the cones, and just count each one as I turn around it. If I get distracted and lose count for a second, I always get saved by the even/odd cone, and can recover easily. Ever since I started doing that, I very rarely miscount my rotations.

Technically you are doing only 9 rotations around the cones, as you pass the first one when you start, and you pass it again, as you end. However you are counting laps, and that gives you clean 5 laps.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #513
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
so the gp8 is through a timed gate, then 5 figure 8's 12 meters apart?
5 laps, yes.

1 laps, is around two cones. So 5 laps, 10 cones (9 rotations around cones, as you lose one rotation to either entering the course or exiting it).
Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #514
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
5 laps, yes.

1 laps, is around two cones. So 5 laps, 10 cones (9 rotations around cones, as you lose one rotation to either entering the course or exiting it).
i have no idea what im doing in my videos
Old 09-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #515
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

http://youtu.be/qr8xkq8r_D0 heres the end bits that didnt fit into the 15 minute windows u tube gives you.

im trying to work out what spacings i should have for my cone weave and off set cone weave, i had them on the lines of each car parking space, probably 1.5m appart, then i indented every 2nd one about 2/3m
Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #516
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
http://youtu.be/qr8xkq8r_D0 heres the end bits that didnt fit into the 15 minute windows u tube gives you.

im trying to work out what spacings i should have for my cone weave and off set cone weave, i had them on the lines of each car parking space, probably 1.5m appart, then i indented every 2nd one about 2/3m
probably why i found it difficult, mine would of only been about 2 meters apart at most

Cones at 3.6m
spacings with a
0.6m offset
(irrespective of
engine capacity)

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 07:19 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #517
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

This is where we are getting all dimensions as well as base times for GP8.

This is another great video of GP8 variation. I intend to incorporate that into my training.

Since two cones in regular GP8 are 12 meters or 40 feet apart, in this setup, all cones are 3 meters apart, or 10 feet.
For offset weave, you can set it to anything that is comfortable for you, and then start decreasing from there to push yourself.

Base time 42.34

Vulfy screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 07:40 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #518
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

..... and a test of brakes at the end

P.S. I LOVE the idea of strapping shoulder / knee guards to the hip/thigh, for protection, as I already ripped a pair of pants doing slides on my late DRZ.

Vulfy screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 07:50 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #519
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

i dont know if you call what i do, as gymkhana, i do these little tracks weaves and circles to try and make me a better rider...
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #520
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
How about this one from last week?

This guy had been riding about an hour, finally got his wife on the back to see if his time would change - not much.

42 seconds - not bad for a 1st time rider

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #521
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I say it is definitely Gymkhana as it is exactly what the courses are, a set of weaves and circles, and we all ride around them, having fun and pushing our skills.

Its just not a measured Gymkhana like GP8, that can be easily shared with other people via internet. GP8 is more of an exercise, rather than a Gymkhana course. Its just a very good exercise that teaches all the basic skills of good riding in Gymkhana, in a very simple form.

GP8 is so popular here, is because we have a set base that can be repeated by all riders, and then the results be shared and compared, as well as evaluated and helped and improved on.

I love GP8 because when Harvey or TheWall, or Motogymkhanaman or any other rider who rides it, starts talking about how they feel, how their bike behaves, what their problems and concerns are, speed, lean, getting scared.... all of those I can easily relate to, because I'm riding the same course, and experience same feelings. So it is much easier to evaluate others and help them out. Same with them, replying to my questions, as its much easier for them to relate to me.

So yes, any course that has certain elements, such as weaves and tight turns is considered a Gymkhana course.
Motogymkhanaman can shed more light on the system of obstacles, that the course is composed of. The Adachi system, is after the name of its creator.

Again the only reason I think that most of us are so focused on GP8 is that its a simple course, that doesn't require a lot of space, and it has set dimensions and base time, that anybody can replicate, and be on the same page with others.

I say, ride any course that you have FUN riding. If GP8 bores the tears out of your eyes, its all good, make up your own. One of many beautiful parts of this sport, is that imagination is the only limit.

As a matter of fact, here is the older video of a course, I used to set up for myself. Has nothing to do with GP8 at all.
However, my personal nature has me stuck in GP8, as I tremendously enjoy chasing those seconds, and trying to beat not only my own time, but time set by other people around the world.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #522
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

well your right, as i dont time mine, so i do not know if im improving or getting worse. maybe i should invest in some time gear
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #523
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Nice words from Vulfy on the essence of Moto Gymkhana. When the Japanese invented the sport all those years ago it was as a way of enjoying the task of actually riding the bike. Quite a few of the original founders were engineers that worked for the major manufacturers and their thoughts were that they had designed the bike with certain capabilities yet most riders never got anywhere near exploring what those capabilities were. They reasoned that if the rider had paid hard cash for the capabilities they should have some reasonably safe way of using them. Moto Gymkhana is perhaps the only way you can explore the full capabilities of a bike (apart from ultimate top speed) in an environment where simple riding errors are not punished with serious injury or even death.

Mr Kimura once said to me that all bikes are more than capable of being ridden with the hero blobs touching the pavement and the steering at full lock it was just that the riders never got the opportunity to do so. Moto Gymkhana provides that opportunity to explore the bikes control envelope and have some fun at the same time.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #524
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Well i did it when i was taught to ride with the various tests then had to do it again with harder tests 3 month later so was told to hit the car parks and practice that was in 1999 and ive continued to regularly visit car parks and do it again. I feel more confident when i do it if i dont do it for a while i feel rusty

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #525
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
well your right, as i dont time mine, so i do not know if im improving or getting worse. maybe i should invest in some time gear
Take your time from the videos. If your start / finish line is in shot you can use it as a basic stop watch. I don't think any of us are worried about 100th's of a second at this stage.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote