ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #541
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,489
In sittibg down mid ride havibg a drink as its high 30s just done a good set of twisties but my throttle is getting stuck open so not sure if i should turn around or not

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #542
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
In sittibg down mid ride havibg a drink as its high 30s just done a good set of twisties but my throttle is getting stuck open so not sure if i should turn around or not

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
The rubber is melting & making the grip sticky.

Is that post fair dinkum?
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #543
TheWall
0 miles and counting
 
TheWall's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Somewhere in the cold, frozen north
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
In sittibg down mid ride havibg a drink as its high 30s just done a good set of twisties but my throttle is getting stuck open so not sure if i should turn around or not

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Funny...it was in the high 30's/low 40's as I left for work yesterday...but I think our scales are just a tad different :)

As for the throttle getting stuck open, well, you can always pull the clutch if you need to slow down! Seriously, though...if the bike isn't working properly, I'd probably return home and t/s the bike.
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #544
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,489
Yeah um a few hours frim hone. Its only about 80% throttke so im babying it till i get home. Think that wet tar i rode through has jammed a rb or sonething

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #545
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
In sittibg down mid ride havibg a drink as its high 30s just done a good set of twisties but my throttle is getting stuck open so not sure if i should turn around or not

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers


easy fix, just set your bike on fire, and put 20 liters of water directly down the throttle bodies, and its all fixed, now anybody wana guess what i did?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #546
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,489
ok enough of my 3 stooges act, heres real life gymkhana 15kph hair pins,

http://youtu.be/oG5PXwDQZSs

Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #547
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Stratford on Avon, England
Oddometer: 211
The current British Moto Gymkhana Champion is a chap called Neil Wallis-Tennant. He first came along to one of our Experience Days at Rockingham in 2011 and since then has become a complete Gymkhanaholic. He has put this nice little video together that shows the difference in his riding between his first ever attempt at GP8 and what he can do now.

The fact that he is riding a Kawasaki GTR1400 tourer shows that it really doesn't matter what sort of bike you ride.

http://youtu.be/WaxQJg7xcuk
__________________
Dedicated to the wonderful sport of Moto Gymkhana
Motogymkhanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #548
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 858
Thanks for that post MGman, it really puts into perspective the low key nature of the sport & the opportunity's for us n00bs to practice & compete.

I can't hold my breath any longer SS. What happened to the VFR? That looks a fun bit of tarmac too.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #549
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Thanks for that post MGman, it really puts into perspective the low key nature of the sport & the opportunity's for us n00bs to practice & compete.

I can't hold my breath any longer SS. What happened to the VFR? That looks a fun bit of tarmac too.
Well with my sticking throttle. Washed her down well as i had tar so a bit of kero. i lubed the grip cables. Linkages. Took the air filter and the velocity stacks to find the obstruction why its sticky. Couldnt see anything so out comes a can of nulon throttle body cleaner. Just spray into your throttle bodies with the engine running. Fair enough used this stuff a billion times. .......... well it was all going well with a light covering of the air box of the cleaner. A flamable thinner. And pop fart the bike staled with a back fire through the throttle bodies. Big flash fire then my air box was on fire with an inch high flame. With the fuel tank on a hinge with 22l of fuel in it above the flames. So i grabbed 20 of water jugg next to me and pour it into the air box. Which went right into the engine. So i got a good waah out. Plugs out pump engine. Fire it up she starts back to gether no real damage i can see just the thinners burning no plastic or soot. And it didnt fix the throttle :mad:

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #550
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 858
I hope you had plenty of good beer in the fridge. I would really want a coldie after that.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #551
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
I hope you had plenty of good beer in the fridge. I would really want a coldie after that.

Ill say. Throttle seems to of fixed it self today. Something stuck in the linkages i recon
send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #552
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 858
I reckon this vid makes motogymkhana cool, officially.




You could rock up anywhere on some of these bikes & get a crowd.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #553
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
The current British Moto Gymkhana Champion is a chap called Neil Wallis-Tennant. He first came along to one of our Experience Days at Rockingham in 2011 and since then has become a complete Gymkhanaholic. He has put this nice little video together that shows the difference in his riding between his first ever attempt at GP8 and what he can do now.

The fact that he is riding a Kawasaki GTR1400 tourer shows that it really doesn't matter what sort of bike you ride.

http://youtu.be/WaxQJg7xcuk
I posted on the vid comments, but its faster than 39 seconds!


we had a short play session yesterday. everone from a 250 scooter to a 90s xr, he's, gold wings, were all there to play. the I.lrovements were real and quick. expect the Oct 27th event to be a real success!
__________________
Donkeys are flying
ohgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #554
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,681
I love this thread since it is one of the few places where we have a calm rational and productive riding techniques discussion going on.

Here is a short video of me doing a figure 8 practice session. This might be in a grey area for Gymkhana, since it is on dirt with an obstacle. I call it dual sport Gymkhana



This is in my back yard, and there isn't too much room to play with, but using what space I have beats whining about not being able to practice.
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #555
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I love this thread since it is one of the few places where we have a calm rational and productive riding techniques discussion going on.

Here is a short video of me doing a figure 8 practice session. This might be in a grey area for Gymkhana, since it is on dirt with an obstacle. I call it dual sport Gymkhana



This is in my back yard, and there isn't too much room to play with, but using what space I have beats whining about not being able to practice.
Now this is pretty awesome!
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014